ferrets and protein needs

for all lads that are unsure about protein in ferrets i will help you on the right way forward first of all is cat and dog food is a never because of the low protein content in it .ferrets need a min of 34 persent protein never lower because of they have a every short digesive tract so high levels of protein is needed to give them the energy levels they need .vitalin is by far the highist at 40 persent then james welbeloved at 36 persent and also alpha is at 36 persent.meat is good to but gos off in the summer mths and is not good for the kits to eat bad meat

Theres obviously a market for processed food .. one reason I stopped feeding it is the general health of the ferrets .. they became very fat & never had there heads out of the dishes ..

The second reason was the amount of crap they produced .. and the smell was awfull ... after as little as a month of my animals being switched from a complete food to a flesh diet only the 2 major things was the reduced waste & very little smell from the cage ..

They all lost the excess weight & there teeth didnt have brown staining on them from the dried food ..

I also switched my dogs 12 months ago from dry food to an all flesh diet & the difference was even bigger in there case..

Protein is only a small part of a ferrets diet .. fat also plays a bit part & providing a low .. or no carb diet is even better :thumbs: :thumbs:

everyones different .. some are happy with a dry diet .. some provide both dry & flesh .. each to there own .. I am happier with my animals on an all flesh diet .. its not a cheaper option.. in fact its more expensive.. but the cost is outweighed by the benefits i have personally found with the animals general wellbeing & general health.. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Its fat that provides '' energy'' not protein .. Proteins help manufacture blood cells and help develop muscles and bones.

• Like 2

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you may THINK, you yourself said it, ferrets are obligate carnivores, they must eat the flesh of other animals in order to survive, so as such, the best diet is one that is made up of mixed w

Cant realy see the need for it all myself mate....I have kept ferrets for over 25 years and always fed them on game wether it be rabbit,pidgeon,pheasant or what ever i can get my hands on all winter a

Theres obviously a market for processed food .. one reason I stopped feeding it is the general health of the ferrets .. they became very fat & never had there heads out of the dishes ..   The se

for all lads that are unsure about protein in ferrets i will help you on the right way forward first of all is cat and dog food is a never because of the low protein content in it .ferrets need a min of 34 persent protein never lower because of they have a every short digesive tract so high levels of protein is needed to give them the energy levels they need .vitalin is by far the highist at 40 persent then james welbeloved at 36 persent and also alpha is at 36 persent.meat is good to but gos off in the summer mths and is not good for the kits to eat bad meat

Theres obviously a market for processed food .. one reason I stopped feeding it is the general health of the ferrets .. they became very fat & never had there heads out of the dishes ..

The second reason was the amount of crap they produced .. and the smell was awfull ... after as little as a month of my animals being switched from a complete food to a flesh diet only the 2 major things was the reduced waste & very little smell from the cage ..

They all lost the excess weight & there teeth didnt have brown staining on them from the dried food ..

I also switched my dogs 12 months ago from dry food to an all flesh diet & the difference was even bigger in there case..

Protein is only a small part of a ferrets diet .. fat also plays a bit part & providing a low .. or no carb diet is even better :thumbs: :thumbs:

everyones different .. some are happy with a dry diet .. some provide both dry & flesh .. each to there own .. I am happier with my animals on an all flesh diet .. its not a cheaper option.. in fact its more expensive.. but the cost is outweighed by the benefits i have personally found with the animals general wellbeing & general health.. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Well said that lady

Since plant protein, which ferrets can't utilize, is included in the total protein count in kibble, none of the kibbles provide as much protein as a raw/whole prey diet. I've tried both the EVO feline and the Natural Gold (high protein/low carb kibbles), and the ferrets always had loose stools which smelled to high heaven. I've fed a raw/whole prey diet for the past few years and all my ferrets are in much better condition than they were on any of the top quality kibbles.

Edited by ferret lady

Are all your top feeding tips in any off your books ??? let us know the titles so that we can read up on how we should be doing things,, I for one am desperate to read it.

• Like 2

i would be ashamed to admit that i was that irresponsible and that i have ran out of food for my ferrets so what do you do if you run out of dog food :whistling:

roadkill seen 2 young bunnys on road to work this morn that were not there last night , rather than leave them for the fox 1 is now in the ferrets the other was a bit flat and was left for the crows :boogie: :boogie:

I assumed he ran 'Vitalin' the ferret food company. :laugh:

LOL 140 post in 9 days of being a member on the hunting life most of which preaching!!!!Sure is going to be a popular chap.

By the way well said Kay pritty much sums it up as far as I'm concerned obviously a gal who sure knows your stuff. And not a condisending,preaching, Know it all attitude to be seen from you :thumbs:

ATB

i bet the :censored: aint even got a ferret and the dog in his profile aint his and he probaly dont own a gun lol

cheers Dave

Edited by ginner38

The guy talks utter pish

Goes on about how to keep ferrets but has no idea about some of the basics (why do Hobs get castrated)and much more !!!!

Clueless wonder ! and if your a newbie reading this ,,then for gods sake ,,ignore whatever this messer comes out with

Atb

i think this member is a dreamer the pm i got was fancyfull to say the least & claiming to be someone else who has written books & done dvd's regarding ferreting

:no: