ferrets and protein needs

for all lads that are unsure about protein in ferrets i will help you on the right way forward first of all is cat and dog food is a never because of the low protein content in it .ferrets need a min of 34 persent protein never lower because of they have a every short digesive tract so high levels of protein is needed to give them the energy levels they need .vitalin is by far the highist at 40 persent then james welbeloved at 36 persent and also alpha is at 36 persent.meat is good to but gos off in the summer mths and is not good for the kits to eat bad meat

Edited by burny2011
  • Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you may THINK, you yourself said it, ferrets are obligate carnivores, they must eat the flesh of other animals in order to survive, so as such, the best diet is one that is made up of mixed w

Cant realy see the need for it all myself mate....I have kept ferrets for over 25 years and always fed them on game wether it be rabbit,pidgeon,pheasant or what ever i can get my hands on all winter a

Theres obviously a market for processed food .. one reason I stopped feeding it is the general health of the ferrets .. they became very fat & never had there heads out of the dishes ..   The se

Cant realy see the need for it all myself mate....I have kept ferrets for over 25 years and always fed them on game wether it be rabbit,pidgeon,pheasant or what ever i can get my hands on all winter and if I do get any probs in the summer I simply feed them on the complete food that I feed my working dogs on.

Most of my ferrets live to ripe old ages and are retired from work to see their last years out in peace well before they die.

I'm not knocking what your saying fella and each to their own but I am very regularly complemented on the quality condition and nature of my ferrets and this is how I have reared them all of my life so cant be all that bad.

Personly I beleive that people should worry more about the cleanlyness of their hutches than feeding fancy food stuffs as in my experiance this is were most problems come from in the health of our furry little workers.

Just my opinion though

ATB

• Like 2

Your right about most of it but not about the cat food. Its not a good source of food for them, but much of it DOES have a high enough protein content.

read it again because im sure it says NEVER FEED DOG OR CAT FOODS :wallbash::boogie::boogie::boogie:

• Like 1

First off stop trying to lecture people.

Many people on here will have had many more years experience than yourself.

I do feed a dry ferret biscuit if i don't have game, pigeon etc.

In terms of protein premium cat foods have up to and sometimes in excess of 40% protein so i suggest you do your research.

Liam :hmm:

First off stop trying to lecture people.

Many people on here will have had many more years experience than yourself.

I do feed a dry ferret biscuit if i don't have game, pigeon etc.

In terms of protein premium cat foods have up to and sometimes in excess of 40% protein so i suggest you do your research.

Liam :hmm:

My point exactly :thumbs:

i would be ashamed to admit that i was that irresponsible and that i have ran out of food for my ferrets so what do you do if you run out of dog food :whistling:

You're kind of overlooking the fact that your MUST SEE information is in fact entirely wrong.

i dont thing so your wrong lol :thumbdown: but there your ferret not mine lol

Whatever you may THINK, you yourself said it, ferrets are obligate carnivores, they must eat the flesh of other animals in order to survive, so as such, the best diet is one that is made up of mixed whole carcass game, however this can be substituted for a dry food diet as long as that food has a high enough protein content and it is derived from animals (flesh). Many top end dry dog and cat foods contain high enough levels of protein and are derived from animal products. Although not maybe an ideal long term feed, there isnt anything wrong with them eating a bit of cat or dog food as a standby. Also the ferret foods you quoted with the 'highest' protein count, are not the highest, so you ARE wrong there also. There is nowt wrong with having an opinion or belief (albeit wrong) but don't try and be the smart ass or be rude. :thumbs:

• Like 2