coursing dogs would like everyone to show me yours !!!!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back to the mid 70's to the lurcher with hairy blood. That may mean back to the late 60's to the beddy or Deerhound that infused that coat pattern. In Boxers an outcross was made only in the 90's to

So he's a Saluki/Greyhound Hybrid; not a pure Saluki x Saluki/Greyhound ? Looks very nice, good luck with him. Cheers.

I hear you Whin but the saluki was coursing all manner of game several thousand years before the concept of hairy lurchers was ever dreamt of. Coat colour and texture is mainly a construct of western

Posted Images

I hear you Whin but the saluki was coursing all manner of game several thousand years before the concept of hairy lurchers was ever dreamt of. Coat colour and texture is mainly a construct of western exhibition fashions, I think.

• Like 2

TAKING THE MERLIN & EVE LINE BACK, MERLIN WAS ROUGH COATED AS WERE BOTH HIS PARENTS, TOBY(the Hoover) & G Smiths FLY. SEAGULL WAS ALSO BRED FROM EVE & IF YOU LOOK AT THE "Seagull" POST YOU WILL SEE THE TYPE OF COAT THAT HER SIRE OWNED BY Mc C, HAD ON HIM. THIS COAT HAS STAYED WITH MUCH OF THIS BREEDING EVEN THOUGH IT IS SALUKI SATURATED & A KC REG SALUKI HAS A FEATHERED COAT NOT A ROUGH COAT(this has always mostly been the preference rather than the smoother coated Salukis for the show ring). THE SIMPLE FACT IS THAT GOING BACK ON WHERE SUCH A COAT CAME FROM YOU WILL GET DIFFERENT OPINIONS AS PEOPLE SIMPLY BRED WHAT THEY SAW AS A GOOD DOG TO ANOTHER GOOD DOG & MANY WERE MIXED BREEDING. DEERHOUND BLOOD, BEDLINGTON BLOOD ETC WERE MORE POPULAR BEFORE SALUKI BLOODED DOGS BEGAN TO DOMINATE THE COURSING SCENE & PEOPLE BECAME MORE AWARE OF THEIR DOGS BREEDING & THE SUCCESS THAT CERTAIN LINES WERE BEGINNING TO HAVE :thumbs:

• Like 1

I hear you Whin but the saluki was coursing all manner of game several thousand years before the concept of hairy lurchers was ever dreamt of. Coat colour and texture is mainly a construct of western exhibition fashions, I think.

in the early seventies, was the first time I saw Saluki, and xs, over here, and believe me there were some useless, sorry sorts amongst them, and a good job coursing was in LAW, NO recall, and some would stand in the middle of the field, standing on three legs, NO RECALL, and took about 20 minutes to catch, the dog, but time has moved on and the breed has improved, + most important one, the handlers has learned to work with that x

and now I believe a drop of saluki blood in the mix is a good thing, (((( again for all edible gear,,

• Like 1

Those first examples will likely have been from untested show salukis borderlad. They had about 70 years to degrade from the functional coursing dog that they were before the pretty pooch brigade got hold. I had my first saluki lurcher brought over from Batley in 77. Tweren't a world beater but had no trouble with recall.

• Like 1

Those first examples will likely have been from untested show salukis borderlad. They had about 70 years to degrade from the functional coursing dog that they were before the pretty pooch brigade got hold. I had my first saluki lurcher brought over from Batley in 77. Tweren't a world beater but had no trouble with recall.

i will see if i can get a pic of my uncles salukix which he had in 1967 ish it might of been 68 ...before i was born ... :thumbs: .just :laugh: ..he was a keeper for quite some time but he had the saluki x before he was a keeper then he used to poach regulary ..and by all accounts this dog took most british quarry it was a fairly big red featherd dog if i remember correctly from the pics i

so some years back.. he died about 3 years ago so i think me my dad has them or my other uncle who lives down on the flat land ...so i think people have been working them alot longer than folk think in this country

Edited by snoopdog

vert true border lad but you are [bANNED TEXT] alot of lads couldnt train the saluk cross or had the temprement to train them never had a problem training wise ,but they can test even the best handlers at times ,alot of guys got them and thought nothing better than go out catch a hare ,i train or handle them just like the old collie cross ferret learn them to be a team , then start working them ,had some good ones that new the score whatever you were at and had some that took a few years to mature and be handable .which can do your head in at times

the rough coat in poachermans pup comes from the fathers breeding which are all saluki hybrids the mother was half cross saluki greyhound put back to full saluki. i dont think saluki crosses are anything like wht they were when they first appeared i remember when i wanted my first lurcher my old man was not entertianing the idea of a saluki crosses at all from his personal experiances in the 70s early 80s. the mother to poachermans pups is a great bitch i think the secret was a strong bond between myself and her to make her a great allround lurcher with the sister to poachermans dog shes very responsive to my voice no problems with training but i dont have the same bond which i strive for with a dog and feel i need but in time maybe it will come my dogs are not pure coursing dogs all though on paper thats what they are the mother ferrets lamps courses tracks deer (pre ban) picks up on shoot days and the pup will expected to do the same.

i will say though one saluki hybrid dog that i bought in at 16 month was the biggest pain of a dog i have ever had the fine pleasure of owning if you where siting outside a strip of woods even standing having a fag discussing the game plan for the day he would constantly whine didnt stop barking in the kenel full on the whole time he was in there hated other dogs /bitchs got in the old mans pigeon sheds and was a generally pain in the a... but he could kill hares but i never got tht bond with him. a young lad up he road wanted him so gave him it free of charage on trail in a week he had bonded with him the barking whining stopped and even got him kenneled with his lab bitch after a feww more weeks and the only thing i can put it down to is he got a better bond with the dog than me

but thats been myonly bad experiance and the dog turned out fine saluki x ,s hybrids are a more versitile cross than people think

vert true border lad but you are [bANNED TEXT] alot of lads couldnt train the saluk cross or had the temprement to train them never had a problem training wise ,but they can test even the best handlers at times ,alot of guys got them and thought nothing better than go out catch a hare ,i train or handle them just like the old collie cross ferret learn them to be a team , then start working them ,had some good ones that new the score whatever you were at and had some that took a few years to mature and be handable .which can do your head in at times

IF THEY ARE DOING YOUR HEAD IN, THEN I FIND IT BEST TO PUT THEM BACK IN KENNEL. DOGS SENSE FRUSTRATION & FRUSTRATION & SALUKI X`s WILL NOT END WELL. COME BACK LATER OR THE NEXT DAY WITH A CLEARER HEAD & A CALMER ATTITUDE :thumbs:
  • Like 1