tips on how to convince farmers

hi all just a quick line to say ive joined a new syndicate (pheasant etc )but the land is over run by roe deer

we regular see ten a day when shooting ,only when asked about managing them the bloody farmer says i like to see a deer or two.

i can put up with that but now we are getting in undated with poachers and left two on a public footpath

he should know what damage they do too ,how do i approach him again ?

also now that the bucks are nearly in season ,i live in north yorkshire and i know the rut etc comes at different times throughout the country

do you start off with stalking till the rut then use calling techneques ?

any help advice much appreciated

cheers lee

Yes farmers can be funny people, I know a lot who like to see hares and deer about, and are not keen on people shooting them, then others accept they need controlling and want them kept in check..... Keep at him...:thumbs:

There`s have no need to contact the BDS.

Ask him again and explain that you understand him not wanting to shoot them as he likes to see them, but at some point he will have to do something as their numbers will keep going up which pushes them to the outer fringes of his land making them easy pickings for poachers whom don`t care how the deer dies which i am sure he wouldn`t want to happen.

Also explain the reasons for managing them, to protect the local flora and fauna like young trees and saplings. About diseases spread because of high deer densities spread via ticks.

Tell him you have no intention of wiping them out but you will be selective by shooting old, injured and diseased deer which is kinder to them in the long run and ofcourse he would get some venison for the freezer from someone he knows.

Hope this helps and good luck

Fozzy

thanks for the help like the tip about spreading onto other neighbouring land and easy pickings etc

cheers lads

he's a funny bugger i think he thinks they only stay out of the way and not venture on to his corn when its up :wallbash::wallbash:

and out of these 2 or so groups ive only seen 2 bucks so they'll be a few kicking about next year :thumbdown: but if i change his mind i maybe busy :thumbs:

Old ,injured and diseased -not the best venison to tempt a farmer with mate :whistling: .

He`s trying to convince the farmer that he will be doing it for the welfare of the deer, therefore having a healthy deer population on his ground, as well as providing some venison for the farmer, clever twat. I take it you only want to shoot the healthy and good condition ones all the time and leave the injured and diseased ones. :icon_eek: It don`t sound like you know what your on about with deer mate, stick to something that you do :whistling:

fozzy

Edited by fozzy41

On the arable land in general Roe do very little damage and alot of farmers are fully aware of this. What they do do damage to though is young trees and shrubs, if there are any new plantations or hedgerows under HLS then they maybe an angle of attack.

Other approaches :

herd management, point out the fact that yearlings are displaced and lost off the land often to become road casulaties etc,

nothing dies of old age, old anaimals starve and succumb to disease - weather etc

venison- taking a crop off the land, bit for you bit for me

poaching - reducing the deer population reduces the attraction to poachers and all the problems they cause

The best one - cold hard CASH. Farmers are very fond of cash and can generally be descibed as mercenary b*****ds if offered enough of it...

hi all just a quick line to say ive joined a new syndicate (pheasant etc )but the land is over run by roe deer

we regular see ten a day when shooting ,only when asked about managing them the bloody farmer says i like to see a deer or two.

i can put up with that but now we are getting in undated with poachers and left two on a public footpath

he should know what damage they do too ,how do i approach him again ?

also now that the bucks are nearly in season ,i live in north yorkshire and i know the rut etc comes at different times throughout the country

do you start off with stalking till the rut then use calling techneques ?

any help advice much appreciated

cheers lee

Well if your paying for your pheasant shooting then tell him the large numbers of Roe are starting to knock over feeders and are eating your wheat and would it be possible to take out a few of the nuisance 1's. Once you've got the go ahead you can thin them back a bit within reason. I'm sure a nice bit of vension through the door would be a nice sweetener.. :thumbs:

All good tips - remember to tell him how many you are actually seeing.

If he doesn't keep a look out for them, he will believe there are only 'one or two about' which means there are probably dozens he is unaware of.

If all else fails, cash. Or at least offer to pay him for the dealer value of any venison you shoot.

When you say you see 10 in a day how big is the estate?that could be lots if it is only 20 acres but on a 1000 it is next to nothing.

and out of these 2 or so groups ive only seen 2 bucks so they'll be a few kicking about next year :thumbdown:

Your statement there sounds like you have no intention of managing the herd in any sensible way. reducing the number of animals on the estate does not start with killing all the bucks you need to take an honest account of the animals on the ground then formulate a proper cull plan.

tell him you were reading on the internet that poachers will steal everything thats not nailed down and drive across his fields to get to the deer so hes better off having you dispose of a few of them legally and quietly :whistling: if that doesnt work then the momey thing is good you could offer to split the proceeds from the game dealers and see how he takes that idea :thumbs:

When you say you see 10 in a day how big is the estate?that could be lots if it is only 20 acres but on a 1000 it is next to nothing.

and out of these 2 or so groups ive only seen 2 bucks so they'll be a few kicking about next year :thumbdown:

Your statement there sounds like you have no intention of managing the herd in any sensible way. reducing the number of animals on the estate does not start with killing all the bucks you need to take an honest account of the animals on the ground then formulate a proper cull plan.

i was refering to the season ive just missed mate with the ammount of does there,

the area in which one herd is in is no bigger than say 30 acre its cliff side leading onto arable land , as for a few about this year they will be all ready to drop shortly so they will be a kid or two about surely

theres other bucks on the estate in different areas

If your pheasant shoot relies on woodland for its cover and you have a lot of Roe you will notice the browse line which will remove cover for the birds. Also if the deer are managed properly he will still see them, they'll just be in a better state and nicer to look at. Depending on the land you may get an influx of youngens just before the rut too.

tell him proper poachers will come in take whats needed and use will never no or betteer stil get someone to wound a few usaly inexpierenced shots and let deer die lingering death lol be strait with the guy get him to try good burgers steaks sausages if he likes his meat explain how it is good to take afew ayear to conserve them andtake the older ones out free meal for him and you best way