Nightmare Visectomy process!!

Bear with me on this long story lol

Basically ive been trying to get My polecat Hob visectomised since bleedy February, I'd booked in at my local vets back in mid feb to have the op, only to turn up the morning booked and the vet too be ill. The following week i couldnt get it done becuse i was going away up to a farm on exmoor and taking my ferrets with me. So I booked in for the wekk after for a vbisectomy and made it very clear to the office lady on the phone that it was a visectomy NOT and castration. However I turn up at the vets to drop the ferret off and speak to the nurse, who said he's been booked in for a CASTRATION!! So i told her it wqas visectomy not castration, it was at this point she told me that they had never performed this op before,(i assume the office women never knew what a visectomy was then?!?!)But they were willing to go ahead anyway, To which i sad no no i will book in at another vets where do you recomend? They completely failed to give me any local vets that do it instead recomending one that was about 1hour away which is no good. SO....................

I ended up ringing another vets about 30 min drive away and they said they had done dozens of visectomys before and there was even another one on the same day as i'd booked mine for, So i though it was sorted. So that day did the same old thing dropped him and picked him up in the afternoon with it all done with no real problems just like with any other operation so i was feeling relieved. Put the hob back in his hutch and stocked him up with food, went to check him at about 9.00 pm and all was well, then didnt bother him untill the morning. anyways in the morning went out to feed up everything, And my Hob had removed all the stitches on both wounds leaving great big cuts open to infection i was pissed off to say the least seeing as the vets that did him was a fair drive and not conveiniant !!!! So i had to get him an emergancy appointment for 8.00 am that morning to get it all stictched back up. Pick him up and jobs all done but find out that he bit the vet twice and they went hosptal lol. anyways hes given anibiotics to have twice a day and is all healing well.

UNTILL this morning :wallbash: Where i find he's gone and opened his wound up again bleedy nightmare :censored: it was bigger this time a lot wider about 1/2 inch wide cut and inch long!!, take him into vets for an emergancy check up on this sunday (TODAY) and they said they cant stitch it back up again becuase the skin had become to hard/scared and it propbly wouldnt hold!! This was the worst news i wanted too hear!! so they gave me this antibacterial gel to squirt on the wound every day and said to let it heal naturally!! f****n yeah ok mr vet how long will it take to heal naturally then, well about 8 weeks + he says F**K ..Also i say that theres still nothing from stopping him from coninueing to eat the wound and himself, to which the vet said 'well yes if he continues to eat himself then we will have a real problem'!! SO Ive had to take this into my own hands and constucted and ferret neck cone out off a leather coller and some old linol kitchen flooring we had and stapling them together , which is stopping him from eating himself!!!

So yeah refused to stitch it back up gain just have to wait months for it too heal and give him antibiotics and antibacterial gel twice a day!! anyways all this came to £110 pound!! and he will have big lumps for scars where the tissue had been very badly damaged.

1st time Ive had a ferret visectomised and the whole process had been a complete bloody night mare!!! :thumbdown:

Edited by proper22

Thats seriously bad luck mate,

I`ve had a couple done and hed no issues at all so it`s not always a nightmare.

The vet should have considered using superglue to fix the wound instead of stiching, Might be worth a try, to allow it to heal properly. I`m not syaing glue it yourself mind ! but this is what superglue for created for ! fixng wounds!. worth a try?

ATB

had exactly the same happen with a vasectomy .. the second time he opened up the wound.. i just kept dusting it with wound powder .. .. it wasnt a huge gaping wound & healed within a few weeks :thumbs:

Had both my hobs snipped in 2008, one was fine but the other ended up with a infection & he had to be opended up again.He had a bollock removed :o & had to have 2 lots of meds syringed into him twice a day.Cost me £200 to get him put right but as we know all operations involve risk.

hi i know nothing about vasectomised hobs,,but i see its been a nightmare..cant you put something round the area that he eats himself like sour tasting/bitter tasting?,,so that he wont like the taste if he decides to do it again?..atb dave

hi i know nothing about vasectomised hobs,,but i see its been a nightmare..cant you put something round the area that he eats himself like sour tasting/bitter tasting?,,so that he wont like the taste if he decides to do it again?..atb dave

good idea. Dont know if its the same with ferrets...but rabbits cant touch/lick/eat anything that sticks to there whiskers as they really really hate it

I had one my hobs done last year droped him off In morning picked him up dead in afternoon and vet wanted full price as he said the op was a success it was recovery that was were it went tits up must admit I need a vecectimised hob but don't fancy putting one in for the op again once bitten twice shy

your not having much luck at the minute fella :no: i got my hob done about 4 weeks ago and all went well :thumbs: there risky we operations the vet that done him has done plenty before and done a brilliant job on him :notworthy: so another 4 weeks and he will be back with the jills to do the business :yes: hope your hob gets well soon mate ;)

Just to update you all one 'Badger' My hobs progress. After changing him over from sawdust in his hutch to newspaper his wound is much cleaner as i no longer had to pick out wood shavings with tweezers daily. And now after a week and a bit of giving him antibiotics twice a day and bathing his wound in salt water twice daily he is recovering very well and the wound is closing up.

So yeah its all turned out well and he's on the road to recovery and should be ready to be put in with jill's soon :thumbs::D

Edited by proper22