What colour will these kits be?

Hi guys,

Here's some shots from today of the three little monkeys surviving from the gill's first litter. They're a couple of weeks old now. The parents are both polecats, but are brother and sister (ie carrying the same genes more or less).

So although both parents are poleys, they are both carrying recessive genes for all available colours (the bloodline throws everything from silvers to black eyed whites). What colour are these kits going to be? They all look like silvers to my untrained eye (first litter I've had).

Two gills and one hob:

kits.JPG

Awww....

threecutekits.JPG

Last one:

snugglekitJPG.jpg

Any ideas? :D

Lee

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you breed the siblings on purpose or was it accidental. i am relatively inexperinced but i was under the impression that this was bad practice and led to faults.

You must be thinking of silver's nutter, they can produce faults. Fitch types albino's and sandy's are more natural colours and unless you breed too close too often you shouldn't get any deformed/deaf/stunted kits. Brother sister mating could and does happen in the wild and their offspring would wander off and dilute the gene pool, lots of folk line breed their dogs don't forget and if they select carefully they don't have problems. Just don't cross mearles or silvers :no:

The mother of this litter has only ever produced two other litters with two kits each.

Kits-170605-031web.gif

Father was albino and mother fitch/poley

They are poleys L.

Mike why can't you breed silver to silver? The litter i bred last year was a brother to sister mating which were both silvers and the hob used was the father to the parents of the above offspring.

gnipper

hi mate ,in responce to your question you cannot breed silver to silver because the silver ferret carries the merle gene. & sooner or later the gene will manefest its self & you will get abnormalites in your ferrets.in other words extra digits, undershot or over shot jaws bull headed ferrets e.t.c. :friends:

hope this helps mate !

dingo dancer :D

There ya go gnipper couldn't have said it much better myself ;) Not every unison will produce problems it just aint worth the risk. Breeding from white collies produces problems also, and they'd never get down a hole and bolt a rabbit :p

No worries mate, IF i breed next year ( a big if ) it will be to a completely un related albino hob who is a good worker. A good mate of yours mike told me i'd probably get some BEW's from this breeding but im not fussed.

One of this years kits is getting turned into a Jaffa and going to live with the in laws so ill just have him for his hols :D

gnipper