Gun Safe Keys

Hi all,

Sorry that this is a little morbid but please bare with me.

A good friend of mine passed away suddenly yesterday, he was a great guy who loved life, his bikes, cars and of course shooting.

I have been asked by his partner to deal with his firearms, shotguns & ammunition.

I hold both FAC and SGC but obviously don't have free slots for all the FAC stuff, I think that all that can be sorted on a temporary basis given the circumstances but how do I approach the police with the info that his Mrs knows where his safe keys are?

Everything is on ticket etc but the last thing she needs is hassle from plod about safe keys...

Advice needed ASAP please.

Thanks.

sorry to hear about ye lost,

you have to say to the women that you have to go to the police and have them with you when the gun are taking away, i think that would be the best way to deal with it.. here the police would take the gun in till paper work was sorted in your name,

sounder

Sorry about your friend, Just say that your friend once mentioned to you the location of his safe keys, this you remembered and told his widow following his death.

Cannot see police causing her any problems this way.

sorry about your friend

problem is, its illigal to tell ANYONE the whereabouts of the keys,

may just be best to say you checked all keys on car key or house keyring, and they fitted

cant see there being a problem there

In the short term (couple of days) what the police don't know they don't need to know. Presumably the keys are secure and you are comfortable about the mental state of the wife.

Beyond that I think you will find the police both reasonable and understanding as although this unfortunate state of affairs is new to you it is all too common to the police.

Of course report back here if you feel they behave unreasonably (or kindly for that matter).

At a guess, and it is only a guess, the police may find it acceptable for you (you will be known to them) to take the arms and ammunition, certainly with the deceased certificates, to a suitable police station where they can be held safely in storage pending a decision what to do with them. On the other hand (more likely) they may insist that they be collected by a police officer.

As always, an early (tomorrow, Friday) and direct and personal approach to the manager of your county firearms department would be advised, but to the manager, not your FEO. It is possible that the manager is part time and unavailable.

Once the police have been informed they will want removal of the weapons post haste as they may now be liable if something went wrong. You could, of course, simply get everything together and turn up at the police station with the certificates, weapons and ammunition. I must admit that is probably what I would do. Maybe technically illegal (you are in possesion) but no action would be taken as it would be wholly reasonable and responsible behaviour on your part.

Sorry to hear about your loss, it's always sad when we lose someone, but even more so when it's unexpected and sudden.

The person that would be liable for prosecution/loss of licence for giving an unauthorised person access to firearms is the certificate holder. I know the police have a bad rap, but they don't often try and prosecute in the afterlife. The wife has not committed an offence, and neither have you.

The police will be more interested in getting the guns into safe storage, they won't be worried about who had access to them in the past. I would recommend getting your local RFD to pick them up for storage, he's likely to look after them properly, whereas mr plod will shove them in a locker where all sorts of damage can occur to them.

Notify the firearms lot of his death, and where the weapons are being stored so they can go and inspect them if they wish. Of course the shotguns you can transfer to your ticket and put in your safe, on the understanding that you will surrender them for sale as and when the widow requires it. That would mean you having enough space for all of them of course. It might be simpler to keep the whole lot together. The RFD might charge a little for storage (though most I know wouldn't, in the situation, especially if the owner was a customer)

You could phone the firearms lot this morning and let them know the situation, and that you will be asking the RFD to pick the guns up.

Sorry to hear of your and his wifes loss.

I would have thought you would come across the keys whilst helping his wife sort through some of his shooting gear ?

Then get a friendly rfd to store them or sell them on, whichever is decided.

Incidentally this is one reason my wife now has a sgc, could save a lot of hassle and money in the long term, worth £50 for peace of mind ?

Althougfh I know she will sell the lot......lolol, except maybe my sons.

Dave B

As you seem to know his wife or yourself can apply for a temporary permit for the rifles, so that keeps that legal and allows the permit holder to keep but not use them.

As far as the keys go I have a set lodged with a good friend in a sealed envelope to be opened on my death. The keys together with instructions as to what they are for and what to do. I also have a duplicate envelope lodged with my solicitor. This is quite normal procedure and is accepted by firearms licensing managers.

Edited by CharlieT

Gents thanks very much for the advice.

Everything has been resolved as nicely as it could be.

If anybody is ever in the same situation here is what happened (I obviously can't say that it would apply in every circumstance )

My mate's ticket was issued by Manchester police whilst mine is from Lancashire (Preston),

I called my FEO and explained the situation and he called his opposite number in Manchester, obviously the shotguns weren't an issue but the rifles and black powder pistols were.

The FEO from Manchester met me at my mates house and checked that everything was on ticket, once that was established it was agreed that I could have a temporary licence (for 3 months) to hold the firearms until they are sold.

Ammunition and powder that I don't have a ticket for was taken away by the FEO which I think is more than fair.

As for the key issue I explained that we had found them, FEO gave me a look as though he didn't believe me but had the grace not to pursue it.

Not a nice situation to be in but GMP and my own FEO were very sympathetic.

Thanks again,

Mick.

Keys were found in the gentleman's pocket, along with his house keys and coins. very easy as im sure this is where every one else's keys are in the same place.

ask the local RFD if he will take the guns in until things are sorted or apply for temp cover

sorry to hear of the loss of a friend.

all the best

Phil