can you still get a sgc if you have police caution

hi does any one no if i would still be to get a shotgun certificate if a have had a police caution it was about five years ago when a got it for assualt after there was a fight in the bar before then and since then i have never been in any trouble with the police would it still go againts me any advice appreciated

Edited by big GJ

hi does any one no if i would still be to get a shotgun certificate if a have had a police caution it was about five years ago when a got it for assualt after there was a fight in the bar before then and since then i have never been in any trouble with the police would it still go againts me any advice appreciated

My guess is that you will probably be ok but you will only find out by applying.

I urge everyone to read the excellent article about police cautions which can be downloaded from the BASC web site, go to www.basc.org.uk and do a search for Police Cautions, it exists as a pdf.

As I remember only people who have had 3yr + jail terms are barred from firearms, so long as you are sensible now. Any violent history will make it harder but if the caution was nto for something violent then it may not be an issue. Also depends how long ago it was In any case you have little to loose by putting in an applicaton, or simply phone them up and discuss the issue.

Halam

go for it mate.had a few over the years and still got mine :thumbs:

it is every english mans "right" to own a shotgun,and the police must "prove" otherwise.i see no reason why you should be refused after such a period of time.the best of luck mate ryno

did you still tell them about them when you applyed for yours

Edited by big GJ

they new already mate,its on file when they come to interview you so yes come clean dont try and hide it will make you look stupid when he brings it up,give good valid reasons for why you should be issued a licence,clay pigeon shooting,pest control etc,good luck :thumbs:

they new already mate,its on file when they come to interview you so yes come clean dont try and hide it will make you look stupid when he brings it up,give good valid reasons for why you should be issued a licence,clay pigeon shooting,pest control etc,good luck :thumbs:

You don't need "good reason" to hold an SGC. If you can tell him where you intend to use it, it goes to showing that you are responsible and have thought it through, but the only reason they can deny an SGC is if they have a good reason to believe that you would be a danger to the population if you are allowed access to shotguns.

A caution shouldn't be a problem.

You don't need "good reason" to hold an SGC. If you can tell him where you intend to use it, it goes to showing that you are responsible and have thought it through, but the only reason they can deny an SGC is if they have a good reason to believe that you would be a danger to the population if you are allowed access to shotguns.

A caution shouldn't be a problem.

it may just help the process along if you do thats all i meant ,this is from the pinned section by sporting shooter

Good Reasons

Your Enquiry Officer will ask you what you need a shotgun for, for which there are many answers which you can give and which are genuine, even though you need not give a reason you wish to acquire an SGC, I will list as many as I can think of here.

Rough Shooting,

Game Shooting,

Clay Shooting,

Vermin Control,

Wildfowling.

They are the main ones, and if you mention any of the above, then you will be fine.

:thumbs:

if it was only a coution and not a conviction then you dont evan have to declare it on your form, i just applyed for mine and had the same questions so just rang the police and asked they said only convictions, so something you went to court and was convicted of. atb ant

When you accept a police caution, you effectively admit that you are guilty of the offence, hence it has the same weight as a conviction for certain things. It's best to put down any official cautions, for the sake of completeness. As someone above said, all this is on your record anyway, so they will know about them already. Putting them down ensures that you don't look like you're trying to hide something.

When you accept a police caution, you effectively admit that you are guilty of the offence, hence it has the same weight as a conviction for certain things. It's best to put down any official cautions, for the sake of completeness. As someone above said, all this is on your record anyway, so they will know about them already. Putting them down ensures that you don't look like you're trying to hide something.

:thumbs: