experiences

The best experience ive had was the first time i took my jill sas out, she was only young, it was her first season, netted up about a 12 holer, sent her in and within a couple of mins,a rabbit hit the net with sas hanging on to the rabbits arse, from that day i knew i had a good little worker in the making, now with plenty of season under her belt, she's the best ferret ive ever had, love her to bits!!!!

My best experience was taking my young jill out aswell, put her down a set of 15 holes, Then thought to myself maybe it's a bit to big for her but no she did good only two rabbits, but first time i ever put her down she's been down a couple of warrens now, and bolted a few bunnies now.

one of my best days happened last season i was out with my new jills probaly only there 4th time out when i put them to ground & waited for about 5 mins then in about a space of 1 minute 4 rabbits bolted straight into the purse nets from all directions. theres been other good days but that one justs sticks out for pure exciement

one of my best days happened last season i was out with my new jills probaly only there 4th time out when i put them to ground & waited for about 5 mins then in about a space of 1 minute 4 rabbits bolted straight into the purse nets from all directions. theres been other good days but that one justs sticks out for pure exciement

Theres nothing better i reckon than getting a young ferret and taking it out for the first couple of times and it shows potential :D

This season the best 'experiances' were probably, in no particular order. . .

The pups first mark - walking through a wee wood, he suddenly pulled toward and marked a small set (on lead due to road), and i nipped home and got a ferret, drove back and bang, one in the net. A good start for the pup.

Pips first slightly comical catch - attached to a lead, tied to a shovel, rabbit skipped a net and he uprooted the shovel, dragged it through the woods, through a two strand fence and caught the rabbit.

A pleasant morning spent ferreting one big set with the two dogs and johnnyboy68 off here, taking a decent bag with nowhere near enough nets as we were only expecting small sets, dogs and men flying everywhere to try to grab bunnys, and i managed a hand catch above ground.

Getting last years kit going and first time she shot down, and bolted five rabbits end of season when they are sticking, twas a fair tussle.

Hand catching a bolter that ran over the dog.

Ferreting on top of welsh mountains in the snow with a cracking view!

Taking two young lads ferreting for the first time, and watching them love it.

My last day of the season, i went out with a young lad (13) who came out for the first time ever round november (he's the son of a friend i met through shooting) and has come most sundays since then. Anyway, its usually me, johnnyboy68 and him, but this time johnny was ill so it was just me and the kid and dog. And it was a pleasure watching the lad. When he first came had no clue what was what or how it worked and loved it but was a bit hesitant to get stuck in, as the season progressed he picked up bits and bobs, and that day he was netting up, handling the dog, putting ferrets down, using the mk3, watching holes, grabbing bunnies, legging them, packing up and carrying his share. Spot on :thumbs:

wAS OUT 1 DAY WITH A MATE,WE HAD TO DIG SO WHEN I BROKE THROUGH TO THE FERRET SHE WAS CHITTERING OUT OF HER AND HAIR STANDING ON HER.I SAID NOWT TO MY MATE JUST LIFTED THE FERRET AND TOLD HIM TO PULL OUT THE RABBIT.HE GOT DOWN SHOVED HIS HAND UP AND STARTED SCREECHING LIKE A BANSHEE.WHEN WE DUG IN IT WAS A HEDGEHOG,MUST HAVE BEEN HYBERNATING OR SOMETHING.I LAUGHED EVERY TIME I LOOKED AT MY MATE FOR WEEKS LATER.

Best Day out i think... Although wish we got a pic when we had finished the hole and my mate was down there grabbing the ferret i had to hold his feet it ended up about 6 foot!

ferreting2.jpg

After this Massive Dig we just Forgot about the nets and put the ferrets down small earths and i stood the waiting with the 12g trying to hit them in mid air was fun :)

:11:

wAS OUT 1 DAY WITH A MATE,WE HAD TO DIG SO WHEN I BROKE THROUGH TO THE FERRET SHE WAS CHITTERING OUT OF HER AND HAIR STANDING ON HER.I SAID NOWT TO MY MATE JUST LIFTED THE FERRET AND TOLD HIM TO PULL OUT THE RABBIT.HE GOT DOWN SHOVED HIS HAND UP AND STARTED SCREECHING LIKE A BANSHEE.WHEN WE DUG IN IT WAS A HEDGEHOG,MUST HAVE BEEN HYBERNATING OR SOMETHING.I LAUGHED EVERY TIME I LOOKED AT MY MATE FOR WEEKS LATER.

:11: :11: :thumbs:

The pups first mark - walking through a wee wood, he suddenly pulled toward and marked a small set (on lead due to road), and i nipped home and got a ferret, drove back and bang, one in the net. A good start for the pup.

Pips first slightly comical catch - attached to a lead, tied to a shovel, rabbit skipped a net and he uprooted the shovel, dragged it through the woods, through a two strand fence and caught the rabbit.

A pleasant morning spent ferreting one big set with the two dogs and johnnyboy68 off here, taking a decent bag with nowhere near enough nets as we were only expecting small sets, dogs and men flying everywhere to try to grab bunnys, and i managed a hand catch above ground.

Getting last years kit going and first time she shot down, and bolted five rabbits end of season when they are sticking, twas a fair tussle.

My last day of the season, i went out with a young lad (13) who came out for the first time ever round november (he's the son of a friend i met through shooting) and has come most sundays since then. Anyway, its usually me, johnnyboy68 and him, but this time johnny was ill so it was just me and the kid and dog. And it was a pleasure watching the lad. When he first came had no clue what was what or how it worked and loved it but was a bit hesitant to get stuck in, as the season progressed he picked up bits and bobs, and that day he was netting up, handling the dog, putting ferrets down, using the mk3, watching holes, grabbing bunnies, legging them, packing up and carrying his share. Spot on :thumbs:

What dog we talking about mate

My best experiences are getting home all the gear put away and the animals feed then a hot bath and a nice drink :laugh:

A love my ferreting but its starting to take its toll

What dog we talking about mate

WHich one? The pup is a pure whippet.

The One - your right mate, by seasons end i'm starting to fall apart, and so is everything around me. This season i went through a fair few nets, one shovel, a mk3m collar, several pairs of trousers, two jackets, one pair of wellies, one pair of wax chaps, one pair of boots, one .410, a chest freezer, a slab of shotgun shells, one long net, a few knives, a few hundred quids worth of vets bills, and much TCP!

Looking forward to the summer spent fishing, mooching, shooting etc, August will soon come round :thumbs: