SCOPE FOR 17 HMR

Well your probably going to be zeroing around the 100yds mark and even at 170yds your only going to be holding over 1 mildot, so if its accurate head shots so you can still eat the meat you want a high mag zoom.

Plenty about from the usual brands and these days they are all rated for recoil on big calibres, so minimal recoil form 177HMR isnt going to be a problem.

What scope are you using at the moment?

buy the best you can afford cheap scopes are fine for every day work...if you are going to shoot at night aswell there is no substitute for glass and to get good glass you need to spend a bit more cash. and dont rule out s/h you can buy some good quality for not alot of cash.

paul

buy the best you can afford cheap scopes are fine for every day work...if you are going to shoot at night aswell there is no substitute for glass and to get good glass you need to spend a bit more cash. and dont rule out s/h you can buy some good quality for not alot of cash.

paul

Help me understand this, it's a HMR, so anything that works out to 150 yards will be fine.

What is all this BULL I keep hearing about needing quality glass for night work, you simply need a half decent lamping kit!

:thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a t bolt and use an ags 3-12x40. works wonders for me. I would like a bit more mag but no more than x16. The optics in my AGS are better than many cheap scopes. I did test them. And I use it lamping as well no problems.

if you are going for manification get yourself a 50 mil objective lens the difference between 40 and 50 for target aquisition is alot.i like the 30 mill tube for the same reason and i am a big leupold fan.great lifetime warranty.exphensive but not if you still own it when your eighty.bargains can be found and the warranty is transferable.

i do rate ags if your on a budget i have one on my fac air rifle,it holds zero nicely,has target turrets(takes out any guess work at long range)cost me 55 quid new .bargain

Edited by zx10mike

paul

Help me understand this, it's a HMR, so anything that works out to 150 yards will be fine.

What is all this BULL I keep hearing about needing quality glass for night work, you simply need a half decent lamping kit!

what can i say you must know better than every body else...all i can say to you is when i started shooting nearly 40 years ago now...and yes i have not managed to gain any experience apart from one thing i found...i found that with a 100 quid scope i could see loads during the day...when it came to going out when the big light in the sky went down i found even with my Deben tracer max pro the cheap scope and it CHEAP glass were no good...so i bought a Leupold s/h but a great scope excellent glass and clear as abell even a night under more tracer max pro lamp...so you beleive what you want and i will stick to mine...i can see at night with my Leupolds and Burris and till a certain time at night it is still like daylight with these scopes and not like cheap ones that some say that will do...it does not matter whether you are shooting an air rifle to a fullbore monster...if you want to see clearly and for longer before you put the lamp on buy good glass if you dont care and just want to get by then do what you want and just get by either way i dont care the poster asked what people thought and i replied with my view and my findings.

paul

• Like 1

paul

what can i say you must know better than every body else...all i can say to you is when i started shooting nearly 40 years ago now...and yes i have not managed to gain any experience apart from one thing i found...i found that with a 100 quid scope i could see loads during the day...when it came to going out when the big light in the sky went down i found even with my Deben tracer max pro the cheap scope and it CHEAP glass were no good...so i bought a Leupold s/h but a great scope excellent glass and clear as abell even a night under more tracer max pro lamp...so you beleive what you want and i will stick to mine...i can see at night with my Leupolds and Burris and till a certain time at night it is still like daylight with these scopes and not like cheap ones that some say that will do...it does not matter whether you are shooting an air rifle to a fullbore monster...if you want to see clearly and for longer before you put the lamp on buy good glass if you dont care and just want to get by then do what you want and just get by either way i dont care the poster asked what people thought and i replied with my view and my findings.

paul

40 years ago a Cheap scope was RUBBISH, probably all you could do to see the end of your barrel, and even then it was milky, times have changed!

As a generalization good glass is better than bad glass whether it be day or night (the reality is some CHEAP scopes have remarkably good glass but fall down on general build quality/dialing in/overall finish/etc), the equilibrium tends to remain similar at night, so for night work you need a decent LAMP, a useless lamp is not going to be any good on a rifle however good the scope is when it is dark!

It isn't a matter of believing anything, the fact is I have £45 worth of JSR http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/riflescopes-jsr-optics/jsr41644-jsr-target-4-16x44-px-adj-mil-dot-riflescope.html on one of my .223 (I'm sure I paid about £60) and it is EXCELLENT at night with the cheap Tracer Mini or Max! I have gone through the night (full moon) without a lamp at all with this scope!

...and you will have a job to notice the difference in GLASS between this and my VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Long Range Leupold (£700 ++ LIST), don't believe me... try the JSR!

Cheers

ATB!

Edited by Deker
  • 2 weeks later...

bit advice really im getting a browning t bolt and wondered what scope you recommend. it will be for rabbiting mainly.

cheers in advance for any advice

I've read the other posts, lots of squabling?

Anyhow, my 10 Pence Worth, firstly high mag scopes are very fine and good, !BUT! in the daylight, on a range, off a bipod, sat in a comfy chair etc etc.

Try shooting unsupported in the wind and/or rain, then 'you' try and hold it still enough at any Mag higher 8x to get a 'head shot' I don't think so (at least

I can't do it, maybe I'm rubbish, or maybe I'm just telling it like it is?).

Now for scopes, a half decent Leupold or Schmidt is were you should go if you can afford it, (Circa £350>£500>Lots More) But failing that good 'airgun' scopes are now

available, but even then the upper end is were you need to go i.e. not much under £250.

The reticule is also important, don't be seduced by wildly complex ladders etc, a plain Duplex or maybe a Mildot is probably the best, a 17HMR shoots very flat

anyway so holding over/under is not normally required.

Lastly cheap scopes with 50mm objects and 30mm tubes are just pandering to your desires, a good second hand 1" tube 6x42 Schmidt is miles better than a 'Killer/Nighteater

/Varmint/Sidewheel' etc etc crappy chinese junkscope, (you be the judge).

AndyF

Very new to this ............so hopefully will benefit from your experience.

Have used an air rifle until few months ago fitted with Hawke 3-9x50. Thought it was pretty good for 30 yard pigeons etc....

But NOW...............

ready to get new .17HMR (NOT SURE MAKE/MODEL YET) and have set budget at £300 FOR THE SCOPE

Have seen Hawke HK4010 6-24X56 MILDOT and Hawke HK4014 8-32X56 MILDOT at local shop for £262 and £287 respectively.

Any good? Or should I spend the 300 quid on another make/model ?

Regards

Rav

• 4 weeks later...

buy the best you can afford, I shoot with a fixed 6 S&B hungarian, great quality, sometimes I mught wish I had some more mag perhaps 8X, but overall the 6X works OK, take a look at the zeiss duralyt scopes, I have had a look through them and they're not half bad...

as for the "a good lamp beats an expensive scope" argument, I shoot quite a bit at late evening and into dusk without the lamp before I plug it in, so here the good quality glass really makes a difference. it depend how you're going to shoot and to use your rifle

Forget the idea of hand holding an hmr and taking head shots on rabbits at 100 yards, it is damned hard hand held at 50! without solid support from a fence post or tree.

Using a bipod it is "easy" and with practice you will be good for 150 yards although it does start to drop off rapidly at 120 and if there much wind that will cause you a problem. I was laying off 6" left at only 80 yards yesterday with a moderate breeze from left to right.

On my hmr I have a Nikon Monarch 8-32x50 with ED glass and as someone else has said, that highest magnification is ok for targets on a bright day but if I am honest, that purchase was a mistake and most of the time when hunting I wind it back to between 16x and 24x and shoot prone off a bipod.

I should have bought something with a maximum magnification of 16x or 24x as it would give me a brighter clearer picture with a wider field of view. I quite like 16x on my .22

Over the years I have found myself spending more and more money on good scopes and it really is true that it can cost you more for the scope than you pay for the gun.

Whatever you finally decide on, make sure that it has side focus (parallax).

Don't bother with an illuminated reticule, a gimmick and complete waste of time.

Do get something with very fine cross hairs, certainly at the centre. Thicker cross hairs will mask the target. Nikoplex is excellent. Mil dots can get in the way, either judge your holdover relative to the size of the animal or try adjusting the clicks on the turret.