Retired terriers

Dealer..i started a thread asking people did they keep their old retired dogs on the yard or did they cull and make room for young blood.I was never talking about my own dog,i just mentioned that i had one.As for your question would he leave his game to fight another dog,well i know he would on top if he got within striking distance,as i said he was a liability around other dogs.When he was younger he was fine its when he went blind and deaf things started to go bad,so i could not risk puting another dog to ground and maybe end up losing 2,if you knew the shores in question you would understand,parts of it are undigible as they run under the house's.The dog in question was 3 quarter lakey quarter wheaton so well capable of doing a lot of harm to another terrier.And as far as being a novice for asking a question about retired terriers,i understood that's what this forum is all about,chating about diging dogs to like minded people,and im diging as long and longer than a lot on here,no offence to anyone but im no novice,how long you been at it dealer,or does your user name refer to what you are.

first of all i take offence as to what my username may refer to , so what your saying is you have a proven working terrier that you work on game above ground ?? if usernames refered to what people are, then what does that make you ? i recall in one of your post you wanted to know what a lump under the dogs chin was, that about sums up all i need to know about what experience you have in the digging game, as for how long am i in the game, you keep putting up your brian plummer posts,( fiction with a large fantasy content) and you will see.

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its only fair to give an old warrior a comfy retirement i have an old lakie that done me proud who now lives in the back room but spends most of his life mooching around the garden then come in to a c

My old bitch has earned her last few years in the house sleeping by the fire

Blind and deaf, still be a lot happier than some of us. A bit respect i think, after all those years you should of built up a great friendship with the dog as well, would you not want and try to sta

Posted Images

you must be a right hunter you mate been able to cull dogs so easily please learn me more mister lol lol

Hang on fella, I said I havnt a problem with people that do! I never said I did. I stated my personal opinion. I make my decisions based on my dogs well being not on my own emotions. Ive seen retired dogs rotting away as well as dogs quite happily enjoying retirement, depends on the dog. Read what I posted and come back with a decent intelligent reply or dont reply at all!

If you take offence to my statement that sentimentality doesnt come into it then thats your business as its just my opinion. Let emotions get in the way of what has to be done and your not doing the right thing are you?

Edited by Born Hunter

My old dog had to finially be pts,not by choice but by need as he had spent almost 3 days to ground in a shore in the garden of the estate where i live.My daughter was giving all my dogs fresh water and he got out by her and was of.This dog was stone deaf and almost completely blind.She searched for him about the gardens then phoned me to say he had got out.I knew straight away where he was and when i got home i went to the entrance to the shore and it was freshly kicked out.This shore runs al over the gardens as many years ago there was an old work house in them so he could have been anywhere.I could not collar another dog as i have said earlier on in this thread that he does not tolerate another dog and would try kill it.I knew i could not call him out so it was just a waiting game.He got out on a wedensday and came back on the saturday afternoon in a very bad state.He was a very hard dog when working so you can imagine the state of him after nearly 3 days.I put him in the van and drove out to a quiet place where he was often exercised and that was his last run.Anyone that seen him work will agree he was 1 hell of a dog that gave no respect to quarry and took al that was threw at him.Rip Rusty.

so what your saying is you have a terrier that did three days in ground with game, but if you had put in another terrier to ground behind him, he would come off the" game hes working" to fight the dog behind him, to be honest putting up a post asking what guys do with retired working terriers, is some thing a novice would do, working terriers that have spent most of there live been dug and live to 12 years old, are rear indeed, and when you get a terrier like that you dont have to come on an internet forum asking others there opinions, i think it speaks a lot also about the lads that back up your posts, and never came to the defense of the retired wonder dog !

rusty had to be pts if he hadnt been the remainder of his days in kennells would have been a misery for him been spoon feed the fat man made a decision a hard one at that but the right one by the dog and we will back him up on his decision if you had seen the dog you also would have backed that decision to keep him as he was would have been cruel an selfish and rusty was due more than that . R.I.P RUSTY

I agree that pts is the most humane option if the terrier is suffering from an illness etc, but, I feel it would be a shame to show utmost loyalty, work your heart out for a cause, never to fail, puting your life at risk with every effort, and when your body cant physically handle anymore damage, you are repaid for your countless efforts by being discarded or thrown away like yesterdays trash is nothing more than a selfish act and more fecked up then a wanker tasteing lolly pop. I mean where is the loyalty in that?? I feel it speaks volumes about anyone's character who would do such. It's one thing if the terrier doesn't make the grade or is ill, but to put an old faithful warrior down that has never failed you just because time or past injuries prevents him from working is unfair and selfish! Has he not PROVEN his worth in the past????

the rusty dog had proven himself countless times and was far from treated as yesterday trash we think it shows how good a CHARACTER the fat man has to make such a fair an unselfish decision about the welfare of his dog to keep the rusty lad with him would have been cruel and what ever time the dog had left would hav been spent in misery and very ill health

• Like 2

Never once said i was gona pts.He is just very awkward to keep around me at the minute.With him being almost blind if another dog comes within striking distance he is into them.Not nice when out walking him.I have loads of room to keep him and i never put a terrier down unless needs be.He aint suffering and eats all he gets no prob just could not leave him run loose will see how it goes.

Put him in a kennel away from everything then!!! your making excuses. Ive an old dog here,14 he is and not a tooth in his head,only dog i retired to the house and its only because he got sick and i put him in a crate in the kitchen for a week,that was 3yr ago! To be honest he is a fe*kin pest,he hasnt the patience for pups running round him,he farts,stinks,barks for no reason in the night,when he drinks he floods the place,still raids the bin if he gets chance and has started to have the odd shit or piss in the kitchen....i put up with him...why? because from his second season to his last id open that kennel door twice a week at 5am and no matter how tired or sore he was i hunted him,he never said he couldnt be botherd or had an off day,he went and he worked,and if he wants to have the odd piss on my kitchen floor because he cant hold it......il mop it up with pleasure. He dots about the house and the yard like he's 90,but he smells a bitch on use he seems to forget about the cateracts,the bad leg,his breathing trouble and the kitchen bin the old fu*ker,as we found out last year when he caught my sons bitch at christmas when we picked me up heading out one morning for a dig,she ran in the kitchen and bang ,my wife said you better come see this,expecting another pool of piss and there he was stuck,tongue hanging out and eyes rolling round like marbles!....and now has pups out of him,fair play to him he had a hard hard life with me with little mercy,he has earnt the right to be as contrary as he wants its his retirement,by fu*k HE EARNT IT!!!!!!!!!! Never mind your excuses make allowences if he was such an honest dog.

vrey good post.

well said. fair play to you.

atb. j.

haha fair play to ye jetro. great read could only imagine how funny it was to see him stuck to bitch. an old warrior deserves a good retirement.

I'm sitting here looking at my old Border terrier. He's nearly 14 and he has good days and bad days. Fortunately more good than bad at the minute if that changes then another hard decision will need to be taken. Lost my old bitch a few weeks back which was pretty shit. Had good times with both. There's no chance whatsoever that I'm not going to allow a dog that has worked hard and served me well the chance of a fireside retirement. It's the least I can do after what they've done for me. They're part of our family and that's just about that.

Dealer..i started a thread asking people did they keep their old retired dogs on the yard or did they cull and make room for young blood.I was never talking about my own dog,i just mentioned that i had one.As for your question would he leave his game to fight another dog,well i know he would on top if he got within striking distance,as i said he was a liability around other dogs.When he was younger he was fine its when he went blind and deaf things started to go bad,so i could not risk puting another dog to ground and maybe end up losing 2,if you knew the shores in question you would understand,parts of it are undigible as they run under the house's.The dog in question was 3 quarter lakey quarter wheaton so well capable of doing a lot of harm to another terrier.And as far as being a novice for asking a question about retired terriers,i understood that's what this forum is all about,chating about diging dogs to like minded people,and im diging as long and longer than a lot on here,no offence to anyone but im no novice,how long you been at it dealer,or does your user name refer to what you are.

first of all i take offence as to what my username may refer to , so what your saying is you have a proven working terrier that you work on game above ground ?? if usernames refered to what people are, then what does that make you ? i recall in one of your post you wanted to know what a lump under the dogs chin was, that about sums up all i need to know about what experience you have in the digging game, as for how long am i in the game, you keep putting up your brian plummer posts,( fiction with a large fantasy content) and you will see.

sum thing stinks of anti 3 ative posts and 3 day old account ha ha some one scared of letting us no who you are?????????

you must be a right hunter you mate been able to cull dogs so easily please learn me more mister lol lol

Hang on fella, I said I havnt a problem with people that do! I never said I did. I stated my personal opinion. I make my decisions based on my dogs well being not on my own emotions. Ive seen retired dogs rotting away as well as dogs quite happily enjoying retirement, depends on the dog. Read what I posted and come back with a decent intelligent reply or dont reply at all!

If you take offence to my statement that sentimentality doesnt come into it then thats your business as its just my opinion. Let emotions get in the way of what has to be done and your not doing the right thing are you?

it just seems to me so called terriermen have this rock hard image once a dogs old knock it on head most of them are fukcing idiots no wonder badger diggings illegal what with idiot terriermen they owt to fetch idiot tests out before a persons allowed to own a terrier an if your an egit not be allowed 1 then again all forms of hunting have idiots just there seems to be more in the lurcher an terrier world.i can understand pts a dog thats not well at an old age but to pts for age is a bit insensitive to say least i can think of a few people that need pts ing in the terrier game beleive me :laugh: and sentimentality should come in to it an so should emotions its about having respect which so many have very little of these days.

• Like 2

Some dogs are more easily kept than others,its not all about retiring the dog and let him have the freedom of the yard for the rest of his days.The one i had,had to be kept in kennell at al times while not on a leash,even though i have loads of room at the back he could not be trusted to roam free with neighbours dogs and cats about,also young kids running around.When he did escape he finished up in the shore and that was his last outing bar his final walk.Im not saying every old dog should be pts,but a lot is down to the dogs health and temperment,and also the owners situtation for keeping them about.No one likes to pts a dog that has served them well for years,i did'nt and i think most men..women no matter how hard they come across dont like doing it either.

it just seems to me so called terriermen have this rock hard image once a dogs old knock it on head most of them are fukcing idiots no wonder badger diggings illegal what with idiot terriermen they owt to fetch idiot tests out before a persons allowed to own a terrier an if your an egit not be allowed 1 then again all forms of hunting have idiots just there seems to be more in the lurcher an terrier world.i can understand pts a dog thats not well at an old age but to pts for age is a bit insensitive to say least i can think of a few people that need pts ing in the terrier game beleive me :laugh: and sentimentality should come in to it an so should emotions its about having respect which so many have very little of these days.

I suppose my point is, I dont feel it wrong to have a dog PTR (as lab so eloquently put it) once it hits retirement as hounds are and many other working breeds as long as the dog is treated well while it is alive. That was my point about culling a failure being no different to culling a retired dog, neither did anything malicious, just no longer an asset to the kennel or line. Its not for me but I have good mates that do it as kennel space to them is at a premium. I just genuinely dont see a problem with it but I do have a problem when people let emotion cause a dog unecessary suffering. It all comes down to whether a man/woman sees their dogs as extended family or working stock. Neither outlook implies the dogs are treated poorly. :thumbs:

I suppose my point is, I dont feel it wrong to have a dog PTR (as lab so eloquently put it) once it hits retirement as hounds are and many other working breeds as long as the dog is treated well while it is alive. That was my point about culling a failure being no different to culling a retired dog, neither did anything malicious, just no longer an asset to the kennel or line. Its not for me but I have good mates that do it as kennel space to them is at a premium. I just genuinely dont see a problem with it but I do have a problem when people let emotion cause a dog unecessary suffering. It all comes down to whether a man/woman sees their dogs as extended family or working stock. Neither outlook implies the dogs are treated poorly. :thumbs:

i understand what your saying mate but truth be told the terrier world is full to the brim with idiots some pts or ptr if you want a dog just cause they think thats the hard man image of a so called terrierman fair enough if the dogs unwell then you have to make a decision but it shouldnt be taken lightly a good worker deserves a good retirement in my eyes an as far as culling a failure is concerned half the men that pretend to be terriermen cant even fetch a dog on right anyways and want culling themselves simple as but i can understand your point mate :thumbs:

I have a 16 year old terrier who is almost stone deaf, but there's nothing else wrong with her. She still comes out and enjoys mooching about: last November she found a fox in a rabbit hole and went to ground on it: had to go and get her daughter to go and help her out though :laugh: BUT I had another of her daughters put down at 11 years old as she was a grouchy, bad tempered thing, hind legs were failing her and she barked the place down if I didn't take her out every day. She didn't want to spend the rest of her days pottering about in the yard or going on gentle mooches: it all depends on the dog IMO.

• Like 1

I have a 16 year old terrier who is almost stone deaf, but there's nothing else wrong with her. She still comes out and enjoys mooching about: last November she found a fox in a rabbit hole and went to ground on it: had to go and get her daughter to go and help her out though :laugh: BUT I had another of her daughters put down at 11 years old as she was a grouchy, bad tempered thing, hind legs were failing her and she barked the place down if I didn't take her out every day. She didn't want to spend the rest of her days pottering about in the yard or going on gentle mooches: it all depends on the dog IMO.

a rabbit hole !! how big or should i say small are your terriers.

use your loaf foxs use rabbit holes all the time

Terriers about 12-13" at the shoulder. Most of our earths round my way are dug out rabbit burrows: fen land, so no rocks or boulders. Not like the hill earths at all.

beautiful ... thats the type i need. i dont even look at rabbit holes

Gathering from your posts, the only holes your terrier has EVER seen is on the back of 12 MONTH old bitch pup, so I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know what type is needed for honest earthwork in your terrain. :whistling: