.17 hmr ammo amounts

Just a quick question, i'm busy filling in my form for a variation from a .22 semi-auto to a .17 hmr and was wondering how many rounds would be acceptable to write for to possess and to buy? i've got 600 and 500 for my .22 but people saying it'll probably be half that, anyone recommend, cheers, Liam..

Just a quick question, i'm busy filling in my form for a variation from a .22 semi-auto to a .17 hmr and was wondering how many rounds would be acceptable to write for to possess and to buy? i've got 600 and 500 for my .22 but people saying it'll probably be half that, anyone recommend, cheers, Liam..

Put in for 600 to hold and 500 to buy, same as .22

I may have misread your post but rather than hmr instead of .22 try and keep a .22 slot and have the hmr as well as the .22, that way you keep your options open. The police are ok with you having both as they do different jobs. Your argument will be along the lines of .22 for shorter ranges and quiet at night, the hmr for longer ranges particularly during the day. You also have the option of dedicated night vision on the .22. Obviously don't forget moderator and expanding ammo.

thanks men, 500/600 it is.

dadioles, i already have .22 rimmy, i have just sold my 10/22 which they wouldnt let me use on my permission so have put in for a variation to fill that slot which they said will be fine as its a differant calibre, so the hmr is just another tool in the box along with fac air when i finally come across one, cheers, Liam..

thanks men, 500/600 it is.

dadioles, i already have .22 rimmy, i have just sold my 10/22 which they wouldnt let me use on my permission so have put in for a variation to fill that slot which they said will be fine as its a differant calibre, so the hmr is just another tool in the box along with fac air when i finally come across one, cheers, Liam..

I may have mis understood your wording Liam but why would they not let you shoot the .22 ?and why then let you shoot the 17hmr?Sorry if Ive picked you up wrong.

Liam,you should put in for the same amount as your .22....got them both off Northumbria no problem meself :thumbs:

Liam,you should put in for the same amount as your .22....got them both off Northumbria no problem meself :thumbs:

i have done this andy, 500/600, same as my .22, see what they say.

hw100sniper, at the minute i've got .22 bolt action, .22 fac air and .22 semi-auto, the semi auto was for gun club use only, they would'nt let me use it on any of my permissions because i already have two .22's to use on my permissions and they asking why i need three of the same calibre? so i asked if i put in for a variation for the .17 hmr and they say this should'nt be a problem, so fingers crossed they still think this when they get my application this week, dont see why not anyway the land i shoot over is cleared up to 243.

I have 1000 to buy and 1500 to own. I haven't yet bought the rifle though! I followed the BASC advice. from the following link:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/document-summary.cfm/docid/6DADB271-D8D5-4EEF-B71B486DEB7A38C2

but in short it says the following:

'For .22 rimfire the usual quantity would be 750 or 1,500 rounds, depending on how much

shooting you do and how easy it is to get fresh supplies. This will allow you to buy another

500 or 1000 before you run out (see Question 21). For serious target shooters or rabbit

controllers the required quantity may well be much greater so that a good stock, (all of one

batch number so as to maintain the rifle’s zero), can be purchased at one time.

For centrefire calibres it is more usual to have up to 250 rounds per calibre in this section,

which allows the purchase in good time of further supplies of ammunition. Your favourite

brand, bullet weight and bullet type may be difficult to obtain so enter enough to ensure

that you do not run out. If you live a long way from your nearest dealer or if supplies are

particularly difficult it may be sensible to increase the figure.'

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Jonno