Beddie cros whippet

Hi,I'm new to this and I have a beddie cross whippet and he's 9 months old and is keen just [bANNED TEXT] is the rut time to start slipping him on sum rabbits??hes put a couple up but nothin were he could catch them he yapd 2s on 2 rabbits about a month and half ago.but he put 1 up the other day got a bit of a run on it but never yap...just like a bit of help realy if [NO TEXT TALK] will help me thank u

Hi,I'm new to this and I have a beddie cross whippet and he's 9 months old and is keen just [bANNED TEXT] is the rut time to start slipping him on sum rabbits??hes put a couple up but nothin were he could catch them he yapd 2s on 2 rabbits about a month and half ago.but he put 1 up the other day got a bit of a run on it but never yap...just like a bit of help realy if [NO TEXT TALK] will help me thank u

i would wait a while yet, a mate had one and it yapped on everything ,its from frustation ,what you need is some easy catches for the dog first, so it knows it can catch, build up its confidence first atbBB :thumbs:

If he has already yapped I wouldn`t take him out with another dog until he has been entered as seeing another dog running whilst he is on a slip could easily start him barking at the spectacle in front of him, and if you run him alongside another more experienced dog then he is almost always going to be beaten to the catch giving rise to more frustration and possibly more yapping,

You have all summer to get him entered on young inexperienced rabbits forget fairness and sporting chances when entering a pup myxy rabbits and young rabbits are ideal to enter a pup on allowing him to build confidence and gain experience,

Beddy Whippets are fairly well known as a cross that has a tendency to yap they are a terrier cross at the end of the day most terriers give tongue when close to game and by crossing a whippet you have taken the edge of the speed of a purebred making for a dog that is slower out the blocks and also to small to see much when a rabbit gets in front amongst long grass or on rough ground, I feel a beddy greyhound has far more to offer than a beddy whippet unless you want a net guarder when ferreting or a dog for the odd mooch around

JMHO

hope this helps

I think Chaz has summed it up perfectly. I have a young bitch 7 1/2 months 19", in the same position, mad keen hunts like hell. It has put a few rabbits up but not caught one yet, it is getting a little frustrated so i am laying it off for a few months. Any rabbits still around now will be on the wise side so i am leaving it until there is a few younger ones around. It has not yapped but i can see it doing so, so i will leave it till around august then get it fit and give it another go. I hope it might grow a little yet. It is 1/2 beddy 3/8 whippet 1/4 greyhound. Your dog would have a far better chance of picking one up on the lamp.

If he has already yapped I wouldn`t take him out with another dog until he has been entered as seeing another dog running whilst he is on a slip could easily start him barking at the spectacle in front of him, and if you run him alongside another more experienced dog then he is almost always going to be beaten to the catch giving rise to more frustration and possibly more yapping,

You have all summer to get him entered on young inexperienced rabbits forget fairness and sporting chances when entering a pup myxy rabbits and young rabbits are ideal to enter a pup on allowing him to build confidence and gain experience,

well said chaz :thumbs:

Yes I hope the yapping stops cuz he's a real keen dog..I want him for lampng aswell but I don't no [NO TEXT TALK] who I can take him out with that have a dog that works the lamp. So [bANNED TEXT] u think is the best way for me and [bANNED TEXT] to start trying it??

aup my dog dose it on its 1st run if i havent tuck it out in a week or to shes 12 mounths old now and shes bin catching 6s aand 7s most times i go out had 14 one nite and to partrige shes bin good a good dog so far so urs should be ok mate so happy days dont worry myns a sluki cross ....