TRAMMEL VS TRAD LONGNET

mole catcher

nathan , if you bother to look at a trammel , you will see that there are two bigger meshed nets either side of the middle smaller meshed net , bigger meshes mean less twine , so how can a trammel be 3 times the weight ?, and if you cannot manage a couple of extra pounds in a net , how will you manage to carry the rabbits home that you catch ,you should get yourself a tin of spinach

Ok the DOUBLE the weight if that keeps you happy, but still dont see the need to carry DOUBLE the weight for the same length of net especially as far as this thread is showing the negatives outweigh the positives and DOUBLE the weight is to me just another negative

Nathan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mapreader, its not that i can't peg as i go along, i just find it easier to back peg where possible, ie; clean sets.

i know about batting the bagging back, but not the best at getting it bang on, I havent enough fingers to count on the times i have dropped a net and came away empty, im not ashamed of this, in my opinion its all part of the learning process.

Some people can think its a case of running a net out, banting the field, killing removing, packing up and its done, i know, i have been out longnetting with mates who have just jumped fences and let the wire twang, walking at an angle towards the woodside, instead of getting in at the woodside & using the backdrop to hide the shape of the body.

People, like mewho havent been shown longnetting at nighthave had to learn the game ourselves. Its a long slow process but at the end of practise practise practise i know that any results i get are the one's i have taught myself to catch. I am by no means a longnetting expert i'll hold my hands up to that.

:good:

20070124_0036.jpg

Hows the longnet coming on nathan :clapper:

Not too bad mate, been in bed sick for a couple of days so i have fell behind a bit but its getting there, the trouble with a double selvedge net is it takes twice as long because you have to make sure the strands are not twisted together at every knot. Have you started your 20/9 net yet?

Regards

Nathan

NATHAN ( or anyone who this question applies to) when using a double stranded net do you find the smaller mesh (the ones that arnt true neshes but (1)b*****d meshes) stop a rabbits head from entering the true mesh or do they work in favour of the netter by helping to enmesh the rabbits feet? On many an occasion i have found that a rabbit is held firm by nothing more than its foot or a few toes ( this being on a single strand net)

Please note: (1) the term that ive used is the correct term for a smaller mesh being made whan using a double thread to knit a net, same term for the smaller meshes that are thrown when making a purse net when adding on meshes. its not a swear word.

Edited by mole catcher
Bigger meshes and heavier,, you will find that commercialy produced trammels have there outer walls made from a heavier gage of twine,,, also to get the pocket effect the trammel net is supposed to have , the inner net will be somewhat deeper than a tradditional net,, again adding extra weight to the trammel....Sorry for calling you a BULLSHITTER MOLEY :cry:

appology accepted , i never hold a grudge :diablo: i am genuinly interested in what nets you use and wether they are traditional or fixed poles, baskets or not?

the first trammel i bought was off BB, it is 4z both outer and inner meshes , this new trammel is 10z ,with 4z inner meshes but i,m a big lad and can cope with the extra weight

nathan , you mention about extra weight in a trammel , then make yourself a double stranded net ??? seems a bit odd, is there a good reason for this ?please share it , is it based on many years of experience ? a lad in our street was given a very old net a few years ago , it was very thin ,double or triple stranded hemp(cannot remember which), it handled like dream, i tried to cadge it off him , but he said no , hung it in his shed and let it rot , he asked if i would repair it for him a couple of years later, i declined :whistle:

[

nathan , you mention about extra weight in a trammel , then make yourself a double stranded net ??? seems a bit odd, is there a good reason for this ?please share it , is it based on many years of experience ?

To be honest and also in reply to mole catchers as well, I have never used a double stranded net before but have been told they hold better and as moley says they trap the rabbits feet as well, but i will let you know when i find out ;)

As for the weight, the twine i am using is very fine, 0.8mm thick so the 2 together will not be much bigger than would normally be used so the extra weight would only be a tiny bit

Nathan

Guest gypo joe

[

nathan , you mention about extra weight in a trammel , then make yourself a double stranded net ??? seems a bit odd, is there a good reason for this ?please share it , is it based on many years of experience ?

To be honest and also in reply to mole catchers as well, I have never used a double stranded net before but have been told they hold better and as moley says they trap the rabbits feet as well, but i will let you know when i find out ;)

As for the weight, the twine i am using is very fine, 0.8mm thick so the 2 together will not be much bigger than would normally be used so the extra weight would only be a tiny bit

Nathan

You should have gone for the 20/6 it is lighter again and look great

Ps i have seen a few double strand 20/6 50yd nets and they are

no heavier than a 4z tramell :no:

On the subject of twine diameter, as some of you know i have resently made a 100yrd net from 10/9 spun nylon, single strand. this net works like a dream and is a pleasure to handle. The twine diameter is slightly thicker than any ive made before because i wanted to rid the effect of the thiner twines, like 4znylon partialy skining the rabbits on impact with the net. Has anybody else seen this happen with the 4znets?

Hi Molecatcher, I made a double strand net some years back which is still very much in use today. I,m not exactly sure what the twine is but would hazard a guess that it is prolly somethung like 2z [double knotted too!]. I bought a few skeins as a job lot out of the cheapo bin at the suppliers. How do I rate double stranded nets? Very highly for several reasons...personally I fancy that they do catch better than single strand especially around the feet...however I am reluctant to say for definte because of a variable factor, that being which particular net was in the best killing position...although rabbits that run along the net do tend to catch up, more so in that one, which,although most times my nets are set in a random order, I do tend to place that one on the end. Would I make another...without a moments hesitation, and although I,m on with a bog standrad 4z at the mo I,m becoming interested in this talk of the thin spun nylons!

Regarding 4z damaging rabbits I cannot honestly think I,ve had one damaged in the way you,ve experienced, on skinning there is always thin "web-like" marks on the flesh but nothing more.

Just as I,m about to close what, for me , is a relatively short offering...I,ve remembered something else!!!

I have also noticed that the double strander suffers less mesh damage, on average, than single strand..but again I can,t say for sure whether it,s because it,s down to positioning on the set, and also if I,m working on my tod or with someone else..meaning rabbits are killed quicker....what I do know is that as I trundle along taking fff...ing photos the rabbits busy themselves shredding my nets!!! Easily remedied I know!

Right..quick...before I think of something else to say...I,m off.

Oh and another thing...lol

Regards Mapreader

Spun nylon has a lot to offer the net maker these days for sure, if you have it in mind to make a long net from spun nylon all i can say is go for it, get the wooly looking twine and there is no need to double knot either. ;)

when i say about rabbits skining themselves perhaps that is an overstatement, more of a sort of damage around the hind legs( across the knees) and on top of their heads. this has happened a quite a few times with me and i wondered if anyone had also experianced it?

Edited by mole catcher