So what is everyone growing/rearing on their allotment this year?

I am looking at the usual onions, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, broccoli, sprouts etc.

But I want to try pumpking and squashes this year aswell, and if possible something a little different but not sure what yet.

So ideas would be good.

Joe.

Not got an allotment, but I'm planning on growing a few things in the garden. Tomatoes, chillies, runner beans, onions, garlic, chives, maybe some carrots, maybe some brassicas and a shit load of herbs! :D No point in me giving space up to grow potatoes, I live in an area surrounded by spud fields and we're allowed in the fields to collect any left over spuds when they harvest. :thumbs:

i set aside a area for a asparagus bed. bought 1 year old crowns. dont harvest 1st year. 2nd year you can start to harvest. it is a long term investment a asparagus bed can last for 20 years. produce each spring followed by fern like foliage which is cut down in autumn. i know its a long wait no crop 1st season but its well worth the wait in my opinion.

Growing potatoes in bags ,got a pipe of strawberries hanging along the fence real handy for when your cutting the grass :laugh: and some carrots

i really like the pipe idea for strawberries, im sick of the dogs digging them up, and couldnt eat them 1 year as the neighbours cat used the strawberry bed as a toilet :sick:

will be growing the usuals (peas,spuds,salad,beets and turnips), but i've also got some squashes to try. the seeds came from 'lidl'!, only about 40p for 50 seeds so worth a try.

if anyone in my area is growing then give me a pm as i always grow to many seeds for my allotment, surplus free to a good home!

Sion

• 2 weeks later...

carrots like light sandy soil. no compacted soil or stones. dont use fresh horse manure or they will fork. raised beds are good. i have grown them in old bins with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage.