What Did You Do With Yours At The End?

I wondered when the sad event of putting to sleep your dog arrived, did you feel any obligation to give it a personal goodbye.

My uncle worked at a vets and the way they treat the dead animals going for cremation really shocked him.

I know they are dead but stuck in a plastic bag and launched into the back of a van on top of dozens of other carcases is not the way I want my loyal companion to end up.

I left them with my first dog and have always regreted it, the second one I buried in the garden and it felt a much more respectful and peaceful conclusion to our time together.

Making the effort to dig the whole carefully place the body in the hole and offer a few gentle, familiar words before covering, sat so much more comfortable in my soul to this day.

I wondered when the sad event of putting to sleep your dog arrived, did you feel any obligation to give it a personal goodbye.

My uncle worked at a vets and the way they treat the dead animals going for cremation really shocked him.

I know they are dead but stuck in a plastic bag and launched into the back of a van on top of dozens of other carcases is not the way I want my loyal companion to end up.

I left them with my first dog and have always regreted it, the second one I buried in the garden and it felt a much more respectful and peaceful conclusion to our time together.

Making the effort to dig the whole carefully place the body in the hole and offer a few gentle, familiar words before covering, sat so much more comfortable in my soul to this day.

some folk on here will have to have a bloody big garden :whistling:jokeing aside i think its more of a duty to be with the dog when its pts lets be honest the dog can't hear the words from you when its dead .

We used to bury the dogs, but no room now

the last lot who have died i have had them cremated,

except for our mick who died at christmas and i had no choice but to leave him

at the vets, the rest i personaly took them down to the crem, they was cremated

the same day, and i went back to pick them up - no way would i leave them at the vets if i had a choice,

it does cost a little more for me to sort it myself, but money isnt everything

and i would prefare to spend that little more knowing i gave them the best i could.

The crem people are great and will give you as much time as you want, they will lay the body out if you want

to say good bye and for that little bit extra, you can watch the start of the cremation,

so you know its only your dog going in, they wont allow you to watch the whole thing though.

the one i go to - i dont have to mess around paying them, just pay when i pick them up.

• Like 1

First dog PTS, i had done at home, did not want her last emotion to be fear in the vets surgery. Afterwards my sis and i took her down the river to her fav place at the river side in the early hours so no-one would see us, but unfortunately we were not strong enough to dig through roots rocks etc, so we put her in the allotment, bought a lovely shrub to cover her.

My next dog was killed at home, she too went to the allotment, alongside the other.

One young bitch was already in the vets, very poorly and she had to be PTS. So off i went into the vets armed with all her favourite treats...day old chicks! Thankfully she was not scared of the vets, had never had anything done to her in there. I asked her to lie down, and teased her loads with the chicks so her attention was on me and them, her tail was wagging. She already had a catheter in her leg so as she was chewing on a chick, eagerly watching the next one in my hand the vets put the anaesthetic in without her even noticing and she went very quickly with the chick still in her mouth. Other than a bullet whilst tucking into a fav meal this had to be the best way i could do, her last emotion happiness. I did leave her at the vets, probably with being a hunter and a nurse, i do not see the dead body as being the same as the living one, the dogs laid to rest in the allotment were more for me than them. If it is any consolation, one of my Dads jobs years ago for the council was to take the dead animals away from the vets to the council tip. He always felt sad to see these animals go and would have had respect for then even when dead.

the rare dog that earns its place in my house or yard will be buryied in my garden somewhere, my terriers starting with my elderly parson will be stuffed in the end, ive money put aside for it, my loyal collie bitch (holly) when she died unexpectedly was buried in her favourite spot in the garden

guess im a sentimental f****r

Edited by CarraghsGem

Loads of old faithful dogs buried around the land here. Grandad was here for 50 years so theres a few holes. Got to be digging a hole just shortly for my mums old lab', she's 13 now and has went downhill in the last few months, time to say goodbye...

I love my dogs and while they are alive I would do anything for them. If they had to be PTS I would be the one to it. My vet wouldn't have a problem with me doing it as he has learnt all of his reptile veterinary skills from me. Once the animal is dead its not the dog that was part of the family any more so really don't care what happens to its body. I personally would technically have no problem feeding it to another animal. I would also be happy for my body to be used as pet food when I die.

I see it as more respectful that a body is made use of rather than just gotten rid of but everyone should do deal with the death of their pet in whichever way is best for them and their animal.