Wonder how he...........

Just been out with the dogs and it pissing it down here.

I was observing the pup with his excited leaps and bounds, doing what a pup is supposed to do, but then I had a kick in the rocks thought about how the pup could turn out for me. I bred him from my own bitch and a dog I had from a friend of mine, both good fox workers, hence the breeding. But is that good enough these days, I mean are we guaranteed a proper working dog from proper working stock???

I know its goes a long way to have the proper line in the pup, but still can we be 100% sure we will have the finished product at the end of it?? And how much can be contributed to the rearing of the pup, I mean I have seen some good pups from the right working stock, only for the owner to fcuk it up by lack of training and time spent with the pup.

Would like to hear your opinions on this.

post-3848-0-87368400-1297783409_thumb.jpg

post-3848-0-30690800-1297783430_thumb.jpg

post-3848-0-00368100-1297783449_thumb.jpg

The old "nature or nurture" discussion.

Nature will equip him with the speed to do the job, and the required physical make up.

It will also go a long way towards having the enthusiasm to do the job, a strong hunting instinct and willingness to listen and learn.

Nurture will take all that natural ability and talent, and fine tune it, turn a raw, running dog into a serious working tool. Building up the bond between dog and master is the most important thing, so that he knows what you want before you think it.

You've done the best you can with the nature bit, now comes the tricky bit. It's natural to be uncertain and have doubts, but you'll need to trust yourself to teach him well. If YOU don't trust you, then how can you expect him to?

Good luck, and most importantly, ENJOY!

Same with anything mate. Nature/nurture or breeding/bringing on. Best to have high quality of both at the end of the day. You always see exceptions tho - no breeding but a good dogman can make a good dog and sometimes a well bred dog will shine despite a useless owner. But in both cases the end result would be better if both of the ingrediants were present.