New International Lurcher Events

I would turn your question round and ask which UK or Irish game or country fair ( with equivalent prizes) offers a better deal than two days admission and an entry into the lurcher racing and a show class for €7 more than the normal admission fee?

I will finish off and say that the concession agreed this year will stand this year and I will revisit it with the MA in 2012. This is not me being 'arrogant' simply sticking by a deal I came to.

Albertj

[Albert lets clear this one up :whistling: WHY CANT THE LURCHER SHOW AND RACING BE ON THE SAME DAY? one day for lurchers and the other for terriers :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

Leeview,

At last a positive suggestion and one that merits discussion. I assume both terrier & lurcher people would prefer to have the Sunday. But do lets have feedback on this.

However this year as I have repeated time and again T&L enthusiasts can go two days to the fair and run their dog on the Saturday for €17. After that they can choose to enter as many dogs in as many classes as they want at €5 a class.

Albertj

Alternate them annually

Y.I.S Leeview

I'd like to hear other views on this - but it is a possibility.

Now something that is FREE. New Spring edition of Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine is available in the shops (€5 ROI/£3 NI) - in this case the difference in exchange rate is due to the ROI charging VAT and the UK not!

BUT is also available FREE to READ online at www.countrysportsandcountrylife.com. Terrier & lurcher news and articles welcome deadline for Summer edition is 14th April.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You really do appear to have a rather odd 'chip on your shoulder' about something. I should have thought most lurcher owners would have welcomed fresh innovative competitions instead of inaccurate and

First of all, I'd like to apologise for taking this thread slightly off topic! but I feel I have to respond when the "Five Nations International Working Terrier Championship" has been mentioned! it wa

I can't understand all this craic about entrty fee's, to the fair, and to enter your Lurcher or Terrier to the show; I'd of thought it was dead simple.... if you don't like it.... don't go !! If the m

AlbertJ

Just as a matter of interest who actually pays for the rosettes and trophies and prize money for the shows, as I understand it's around £4 for each entry into the lurcher & terrier classes which goes to the Mid Antrim club. If they are providing the rosettes and trophies then they do need recompense even though it seems quite dear, if they are not then why does it need to be that expensive as they have not imo had a significant outlay to justify it.

It seems you haven't answered my question yet which is a shame as if it is the MA club providing everything then people would perhaps understand better why it's so expensive to enter a class.

Dukie,

Not ducking the question as you may have guessed I was away last week. Dare I say it - a minor invasion of Just Huntin's country!

This year the MA Terrier Club costs will include : Travel,some judges expenses & gifts, accommodation; class trophies; rosettes, insurance and a donation to a charity of my choice ( previously their own choice). In addition they have some tasks to fulfill in terms of promoting the show. Obviously they are not getting any revenue on the Saturday - so overall its not quite the 'gravy train' that people think it is.

What is clear is that people who choose to come both days are getting a good deal and obviously a better one than last year BUT I have said I will look again at the whole issue in 2012 - incuding Leeview's ideas of an entry fee for the first class followed by nominal entry fees for other classes such as happens in KC shows and/or his idea of a dedicated day for each , breed. Now lets have some positive discussion on these ideas.

Albertj

just to correct you albert its not only my country it belongs to the people ,thats why its called a republic ..... and albert your more than welcome to come down and spend plenty of that sterling while your here ..every little helps .but please dont say you invaded .the days of people invading us are long over.....jesus i was just thinking ,you trying to give a barman 3 pound for a 5 euro pint in temple bar now that would be funny .....

Edited by just hunt

AlbertJ

Just as a matter of interest who actually pays for the rosettes and trophies and prize money for the shows, as I understand it's around £4 for each entry into the lurcher & terrier classes which goes to the Mid Antrim club. If they are providing the rosettes and trophies then they do need recompense even though it seems quite dear, if they are not then why does it need to be that expensive as they have not imo had a significant outlay to justify it.

It seems you haven't answered my question yet which is a shame as if it is the MA club providing everything then people would perhaps understand better why it's so expensive to enter a class.

Dukie,

Not ducking the question as you may have guessed I was away last week. Dare I say it - a minor invasion of Just Huntin's country!

This year the MA Terrier Club costs will include : Travel,some judges expenses & gifts, accommodation; class trophies; rosettes, insurance and a donation to a charity of my choice ( previously their own choice). In addition they have some tasks to fulfill in terms of promoting the show. Obviously they are not getting any revenue on the Saturday - so overall its not quite the 'gravy train' that people think it is.

What is clear is that people who choose to come both days are getting a good deal and obviously a better one than last year BUT I have said I will look again at the whole issue in 2012 - incuding Leeview's ideas of an entry fee for the first class followed by nominal entry fees for other classes such as happens in KC shows and/or his idea of a dedicated day for each , breed. Now lets have some positive discussion on these ideas.

Albertj

just to correct you albert its not only my country it belongs to the people ,thats why its called a republic ..... and albert your more than welcome to come down and spend plenty of that sterling while your here ..every little helps .but please dont say you invaded .the days of people invading us are long over.....jesus i was just thinking ,you trying to give a barman 3 pound for a 5 euro pint in temple bar now that would be funny .....

Just Huntin,

The pints I was drinking were €3 - I always look for value and try to give it!

AlbertJ

AlbertJ

Dukie,

Albertj

Just Huntin,

AlbertJ

Well never had you down as a sipper :D:D Albert

Y.I.S Leeview

AlbertJ

Dukie,

Albertj

Just Huntin,

AlbertJ

Y.I.S Leeview

well done albert your finaly begining to think the same way as the rest of us ,we hate being ripped off and we realy dislike paying over the odds for anything no mater what way its tarted up :hmm:

Edited by just hunt

AlbertJ

Dukie,

Albertj

Just Huntin,

AlbertJ

Y.I.S Leeview

well done albert your finaly begining to think the same way as the rest of us ,we hate being ripped off and we realy dislike paying over the odds for anything no mater what way its tarted up :hmm:

At last a bit of humour from you JH. What makes you think I'm not 'one of the rest of you'? I am a country sports enthusiast first and game fair organiser second. Over the 33 years I have been organising fairs, profitable and unprofitable, what has been my major motivation are the wonderful people I have met and worked with along the way who are/were passionate about their sports and been prepared to 'put much more in than they take out.' I think anyone who knows or has worked with me could confirm that this is equally true of our team.

We know that the economic difficulties have threatenned many country sports businesses and we have reacted by giving them package deals on advertising and/or for exhibiting at more than one fair and granted them extended credit terms. After dealing with many of these people for 30 years plus they are more friends than customers.

For the public we have given them two shows in NI for the price of one, or a free ticket to any of our three fairs with a magazine subscription - and in the ROI we now have effectively given T & L enthusiasts two days for the price of one - in fact we have cut our margins so much we could outdo Tesco's or Asda's price cutting claims!

But if one is going to run a business and operate marginal costing policies - it has to be on the basis of the managers of the business deciding how best to provide customers with value not the customer. You don't see Tescos or Asda asking customers which products on which they want to purchase at cut price.

As I said earlier our plans are now in place this year and OFFER any FAIR GOER in IRELAND the best admission package for the BEST FAIRS with the BEST PRIZE packages. I see our policies have 'encouraged' our competitor to offer a few very selective two for one offers!

I thank you for your input to this thread and I will try to make something positive out of it for 2012. For 2012 we will look at some of the positive ideas that have come forward and try to address some of the negative ones.

I hope we do get the chance to meet somewhere some time in the future.

Albertj

well

AlbertJ

Dukie,

Albertj

Just Huntin,

AlbertJ

Y.I.S Leeview

At last a bit of humour from you JH. What makes you think I'm not 'one of the rest of you'? I am a country sports enthusiast first and game fair organiser second. Over the 33 years I have been organising fairs, profitable and unprofitable, what has been my major motivation are the wonderful people I have met and worked with along the way who are/were passionate about their sports and been prepared to 'put much more in than they take out.' I think anyone who knows or has worked with me could confirm that this is equally true of our team.

We know that the economic difficulties have threatenned many country sports businesses and we have reacted by giving them package deals on advertising and/or for exhibiting at more than one fair and granted them extended credit terms. After dealing with many of these people for 30 years plus they are more friends than customers.

For the public we have given them two shows in NI for the price of one, or a free ticket to any of our three fairs with a magazine subscription - and in the ROI we now have effectively given T & L enthusiasts two days for the price of one - in fact we have cut our margins so much we could outdo Tesco's or Asda's price cutting claims!

But if one is going to run a business and operate marginal costing policies - it has to be on the basis of the managers of the business deciding how best to provide customers with value not the customer. You don't see Tescos or Asda asking customers which products on which they want to purchase at cut price.

As I said earlier our plans are now in place this year and OFFER any FAIR GOER in IRELAND the best admission package for the BEST FAIRS with the BEST PRIZE packages. I see our policies have 'encouraged' our competitor to offer a few very selective two for one offers!

I thank you for your input to this thread and I will try to make something positive out of it for 2012. For 2012 we will look at some of the positive ideas that have come forward and try to address some of the negative ones.

I hope we do get the chance to meet somewhere some time in the future.

Albertj

well al. i hope you can ...make something positive....out of this for this year not 2012 .its too dear to enter a dog into the ring at 5 euro .and i dont care if first prize is a trip to the moon .....i understand that its about numbers in the gate for you and i agree ,no gate no show . you said the terriers and lurcher rings lose money well maby people are not going because its too dear to enter a dog at 5 euro .there will be 40 plus terrier pups in the ring at jonnys show in kilkenny all trying to win a bag of dog nuts..so maby its not all about the big prize ....the next time your down invaiding you can bring me for one of those 3 euro pints..but albert i dont think anything you say will convince me that 5 euro per dog per entry is not too dear like i say its generaly less than half that ....... :wallbash:

Just Hunt - if people think 5 euro is too dear (I personally wouldn't pay it)they could always treat the show like a shop and chose to keep their cash in their pocket....and spend it where they think they will get value for it.

Littlefish,

Point well made.

If you run your dog on the Saturday you get a free ticket for Sunday - so you can enjoy two days at the show for €17 and choose whether or not you enter your dog and/or in how many classes on Sunday.

As you say the choice is there.

albertj

Just Hunt - if people think 5 euro is too dear (I personally wouldn't pay it)they could always treat the show like a shop and chose to keep their cash in their pocket....and spend it where they think they will get value for it.

Littlefish,

Point well made.

If you run your dog on the Saturday you get a free ticket for Sunday - so you can enjoy two days at the show for €17 and choose whether or not you enter your dog and/or in how many classes on Sunday.

As you say the choice is there.

albertj

Albert

Well done for making the effort to put on events aimed at terrier and lurcher folk. Organising events of such size must take a lot of work. Hopefully it will be a success and go from strength to strength. I hope to get to Shane's castle. I had a look through your online magazine - there was a nice write up on Billy Nelson.

Edited by littlefish