just a quick one plantted some spuds charlotts and desires last week it has a guide to when they will be roughly ready but can you pull them early and eat them if there smaller or is the taste no good im new to all this cheers

Its too early to be planting spuds mate ...around another month and you should be ok

is it im new to this allotment caper but it did say march on the guide and its very mild and wet so thought it would be ok hopfully they will take.

In 2009 i planted Charlotte on the 3rd of April, (didn't grow them last year) and I planted Desiree on the 7th May 2010, so you are very early. Try covering them over with plastic or something similar, just to try to warm the soil up a bit. It'll keep the soil dry too and help to stop the Potatoes from rotting. Failing that, dig them up and plant them again when the time is right. One thing to remember is that any potatoes that get missed when you come to harvest them will always grow the next year, so it might not be a bad thing. Best of luck with the allotment. :thumbs::thumbs:

Its still much too early up here in cleveland, the ground is still cold.. I waited till the last minute to plant mine last year. I noticed BQ selling spuds to plant last week.

thats were i got them mate had march on the planting guide

Its got to be worth the risk if your that far south theres earlys in the local shops from cornwall probably in poly tunnels :icon_eek:

Cant see them rotting now as the weathers on the turn for the better and the odd ones i miss always come up next year so theyve been underground all winter i dont mind trying stuff early dont cost much and if it survives your quids in atb. :thumbs:

Its got to be worth the risk if your that far south theres earlys in the local shops from cornwall probably in poly tunnels :icon_eek:

Cant see them rotting now as the weathers on the turn for the better and the odd ones i miss always come up next year so theyve been underground all winter i dont mind trying stuff early dont cost much and if it survives your quids in atb. :thumbs:

can you eat the spuds quite small ,or do they not taste right as ive planted a fair few .

Yep you sure can take most of them early the old boys on our lotty start as soon as they are as big as marbles im not that keen but i do like pink fir apples above all others but they are maincrop so i use them like earlies and am happy with them being small . :thumbs:

roughly how long is it til they make the size of a golf ball ,do you just dig em up and if there to smalll bury them again or will it kill them once lifted.