pre-ban deer

seen red stags big old brutes toss a pack of staghounds up in the air while up to there belly in water couldnt see any lurcher taking them singlehanded on a regular basis :no:

I don't think people appreciate the size of these animals. Im not saying you couldn't breed a dog capable of catching one, they have dogs capable of taking on mountain lions but your typical lurcher that can catch rabbit, hare and foxes, no chance.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

beddy x whippet

every single deer is far from the same saying all roe are fast is like saying all black people are as fast as usain bolt lol! Old or weak deer will obviously be alot slower than deer in prime conditio

who the feck wants to put pics up on deer and dogs its adistant memory for some and best left close to th eheart who wants to educate the unwashed or police sspca rspca etc youse are twats

Posted Images

http://www.deerstalker.com/park_trophy_gallery.htm

Shooting deer in a park for alot of money. Why do it yourself when you let other people pay to do it. :victory:

I don't know about you but pre ban I would have never of thought to run captive animals. :icon_eek:

If I had to choose between which animal for human consumption I would be I would definitely choose a park deer over a cow or similarly farmed creature... yet there are people who want this banned that happily munch beef. I would prefer to be shot without my knowing than I would be led into a slaughterhouse with my friends.

properly good thread guys, haven't been on in ages, nice to log in a find that theres a decent thread kickin about.

I hardly knew any species of deer apart from the main six in this country, very interesting.

Most of the venison you get in supermarkets over here are old red stags or hinds that are no use for breeding. As im sure everyone on here will be aware of the demand for beef,lamb and pork is 1000s of times that of venison FACT so the quality of the deer farmed is not up to the standard of other animals. Infact i doubt many deer are farmed for meat in the uk? I think it mainly comes from NZ? Could be wrong tho!! As for the nicest eating deer in our wild out of the 4 Ive tried i would put them in the order of fallow, roe, red and munty! As for shot or ran Ive never noticed any difference apart from theres no lead shot in the meat caught with dogs lol!!

Had a fresh young full grown munty buck the other day cause it was small deer didnt bleed it and eat it the next day.

:no: never been so ill that night. my brother and mother was the same.

muntys going to dogs next time fallow for the table!

Gralloch ANY deer, especialy small deer that have been run, IMMEDIATLY !! Even an hour left with the guts in can turn the meat.

Cheers.

he had hes throat done first and the guts were out with in two minits of death I can guareentie you that :thumbs:

how long does a carcase have to hang?

Depends on alot of things like size, age etc but i found that hanging for a couple of days at least made it easier to skin and the meat tasted less gamey. I think alot depends on personal preference. But saying that we have had deer that we couldnt hang and had to butcher straight away and they tasted just as good and the meat was just as tender. Also helps if you no how to cook meat properly the tenderest joint in the world can still be ruined in the oven!! All ill say is its better under hung than over and gone off!

I think the only people who know the answer to this, is the guys who have done all 6 species, from down south to up north and back.

And i bet there aint too many of them.......

I think a better opinion is formed also when the same dog has been used on all six species. Kinda helps to evaluate the pro's and con's of each species :thumbs: . In the daytime i might add.....You can only really tell how a deer runs in the daytime. :victory:

JMHO...JD

And its a real opinion, daytime, no matter what quarry will always test your dog to its limits.. And, like you say mate, there wont be many dogs about that have done it.. :thumbs:

in my opinion id say this is true but not for the toothed quarry ive found they are alot of dogs that would take foxes preban in the daytime but not run up a beam and do it alone in the dark :icon_eek:

just a quik one does anybody know if there as ever been A DOG that could take red stags daytime or even lamping if there as been must have been some dog as ive watched them red on youtube and they are awesome :laugh::laugh::laugh:

very good thread lads :thumbs:

I think the only people who know the answer to this, is the guys who have done all 6 species, from down south to up north and back.

And i bet there aint too many of them.......

I think a better opinion is formed also when the same dog has been used on all six species. Kinda helps to evaluate the pro's and con's of each species :thumbs: . In the daytime i might add.....You can only really tell how a deer runs in the daytime. :victory:

JMHO...JD

And its a real opinion, daytime, no matter what quarry will always test your dog to its limits.. And, like you say mate, there wont be many dogs about that have done it.. :thumbs:

in my opinion id say this is true but not for the toothed quarry ive found they are alot of dogs that would take foxes preban in the daytime but not run up a beam and do it alone in the dark :icon_eek:

just a quik one does anybody know if there as ever been A DOG that could take red stags daytime or even lamping if there as been must have been some dog as ive watched them red on youtube and they are awesome :laugh::laugh::laugh:

very good thread lads :thumbs:

:laugh:

Lol i take it the you tube comment was aimed at me! All i meant was the fight was good and shows you the power of these stags not that thats the only place ive seen them. Ive seen them rutting live but nothing like that! I dont doubt it could be done with two dogs but i think it would have to be two dogs that were top dogs on there own and they would still struggle to do it then! Hunting with dogs aint rocket science its just having the right tools for the job and using them as best as you can in each situation.

Lol i take it the you tube comment was aimed at me! All i meant was the fight was good and shows you the power of these stags not that thats the only place ive seen them. Ive seen them rutting live but nothing like that! I dont doubt it could be done with two dogs but i think it would have to be two dogs that were top dogs on there own and they would still struggle to do it then! Hunting with dogs aint rocket science its just having the right tools for the job and using them as best as you can in each situation.

If your talking about the youtube vid I put up, it wasn't aimed at you mate. I've not read the post your talking about. I agree with you, it would take 2 really good dogs to take down a red stag and the ones in the vid I put up, I reckon 4 would struggle lol. :thumbs: