First Lurcher Hunting Questions

My experience is with dogs for boar hunting. I am familiar with bulldog and pit type breeds as well as hound and cur crosses.

I decided to experiment and see if a pit x greyhound would make a less dog aggressive running catchdog that is able to stop those running hogs. My pup is 9 months old and about 60lbs. For a hog dog he seems a little soft for the task, just isn’t anywhere near as gritty as the pits I’m used to.

I decided to see if I can use him for running rabbit and fox because there are plenty of them around here. I bought a fox call and to my surprise it worked like a charm. After about 15 minutes I spotted a fox and it came to within about 30 meters of me. I released Rooster and he took off after it. He got to the point where it looked like he was right on top of it but he was never actually able to get a hold of it and it got away.

Being half pit, is he going to be too slow for me to expect much out of him or are fox and rabbit game he should be able to catch?

If anyone has any tips for me about how I can best bring him along they would be much appreciated. He already consistently comes when I call and listens really well off leash…I just am wondering how I can best make a lurcher out of him.

I think he is abit to young to be on fox. But each to there own.

When you say he is too young do you mean because they are too fast for him, or because he may not be mature enough to take getting bit by one, or becasue he doesn't have the focus yet for a long chase? I am sorry if this seems like a lot of dumb questions, I am just used to a very different type of dog and I am used to getting puppies started early.

You need to leave him to mature abit mate, another cupple of months won't hurt will it?

I suppose your right and it wouldn't hurt to sit on him for a few more months. I am so used to having to drive 5 hours to go hunting I've been excited that I had a dog I could run game with near my house.

If someone wants to show me how to post pictures I can show you what he looks like and post pics of a deer and a piglet he caught. If its better I don't post pics like that here I can email them.

Interestingly enough, although I've never taught him to retrieve he seems to do that naturally. The first time I took him pig hunting he brought a live baby piglet right to my hands.

Edited by Urbstar12

Sounds a good dog mate, I will pm you my email and you can send me some pics.

Email Sent. I sent you 5 pictures.

The first two are of him on a very much alive doe we snuck up on in a soccer field.

The third one was when he was about 6 months old, we took him pig hunting and soon after I cut him loose I heard a squeal…soon afterward he came out of the reeds and dropped this piglet at my feet.

The fourth pic is of a larger boar we caught during that hunting trip. I was upset with Rooster because he wouldn’t catch the pig, he ran at it and stopped it by grabbing the rear-end but then let go and backed up and barked. I normally wouldn’t have a use for a dog that does that but I thought I might try to use him as a lurcher for other stuff.

The last pic, (not a very good one) was taken about 2 months ago when he was 7 months old. It is just to give you an idea of his build. Sorry I don’t have one of him closer.