hard terriers

well it been said what is "hard" as everyone has diff opinions and to them its right each to there own .

personally im not into the whole if my dogs not busted to bits its not for me thing which we hav all met im sure.

it has got to many people noticed and talked about.

i like a dog that i can take out as and when required yea she she gets hurt, but not badly

yes she barks , but shes no bolter this doesnt make her any less of a worker as some would say.

she is my type of dog she wudnt suit every body but shes dug me plenty .

happy hunting

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

Guest dee mac

the thing is most young dogs start of a bit rash its expected there just finding there feet and everything is new but with plenty of work and experience (they ll have the odd bad day too remember which is usually a lesson well learned )they soon settle into there rythm thats when you ll see the real style of work and i know that depending on the foe they face on the day they may get it settled and bottled up tight and get job done no fuss but on a different day with same dog with a foe who wants to run and push and test the water the steady dog has too get the sleeves rolled up and get stuck in and too a stranger they ll get the impression that hes a hardish dog point im trying too make is the good well worked dogs channge there style too suit the challenge there faced with on the day but with the same outcome there always with there game on break through imo

A hard dog may only be useful in some places but without hard dogs to breed from you would end up with no good terriers down the line

:thumbs: Places where hard dogs are needed, I would take hard dog or a bayer as long as they stay till the job is done, and as said before, stuff that dosnt want to be dug will not be dug with a bayer. If I had the chance to pick how a dog worked it would be one that bayed but would always be willing to put in that wee bit extra when needed, I wouldnt call that a bayer though

think your better sticking to your dog that does 12 foxes in 4 hours you will not go wrong with that one :thumbs: and a machine gun

It was 2 dogs you plum, and by your comment I take it you dont believe. Theres lads on here who have seen my post and pics on that day not on this site but another, lads that have been out with me and know me well and know I wouldnt lie about something like that. Its idiots like yourself who only want to bitch that stops me and alot of other good lads from sharing our days out on this site :thumbdown:

A hard dog may only be useful in some places but without hard dogs to breed from you would end up with no good terriers down the line

:thumbs: Places where hard dogs are needed, I would take hard dog or a bayer as long as they stay till the job is done, and as said before, stuff that dosnt want to be dug will not be dug with a bayer. If I had the chance to pick how a dog worked it would be one that bayed but would always be willing to put in that wee bit extra when needed, I wouldnt call that a bayer though

think your better sticking to your dog that does 12 foxes in 4 hours you will not go wrong with that one :thumbs: and a machine gun

It was 2 dogs you plum, and by your comment I take it you dont believe. Theres lads on here who have seen my post and pics on that day not on this site but another, lads that have been out with me and know me well and know I wouldnt lie about something like that. Its idiots like yourself who only want to bitch that stops me and alot of other good lads from sharing our days out on this site :thumbdown:

:laugh::laugh:

:thumbs:

Bit of a silly question that .....all terrier types have there uses whether its hard bayers call off even some 10 minute wonders can be handy ....but if we didnt have hard even game terriers we wouldnt have working terriers .

every dog man worth his salt appreciats and admires seeing a true hard terrier working

Guest busterdog

I had a bitch that was silly hard and she ruined more digs than she sorted, she'd climb all over em and wouldn't give them a seconds rest, she was the other end off the scale and just wouldn't leave them alone. She is no longer with us and as for the" there wouldn't be any dogs without hard dogs" ?, you could breed two steady dogs and get iron hard pups and vice - versa, you pays your money and takes your chance.

take no notice lukey :thumbs:

I had a bitch that was silly hard and she ruined more digs than she sorted, she'd climb all over em and wouldn't give them a seconds rest, she was the other end off the scale and just wouldn't leave them alone. She is no longer with us and as for the" there wouldn't be any dogs without hard dogs" ?, you could breed two steady dogs and get iron hard pups and vice - versa, you pays your money and takes your chance.

i have a bitch the same as you mentioned at the moment imo she isnt working shes fighting its just round and round makes digs harder than they should be but i admire her just wish she would use her voice and work

i think the dog needs to be hard to an extent i think a dog tht bays an keeps its quarry where it is bt if it tries 2 push past it or moves it mixes it up abit to keep it wher it is, is perfect its a nightmare if it just steems in full time n is out restin 4 weeks after 1 dig, bt also its no good if its gettin pushed around when u get half way down to it

Yes, but if you keep putting the steady dogs together, pretty soon they are too steady.

Hard dogs can be a pain in the arse, its difficult to give them regular work, and some never ease off with experience, but you KNOW they carry the game gene that all terriers need. JMHO. :thumbs:

Guest busterdog

Yes, but if you keep putting the steady dogs together, pretty soon they are too steady.

Hard dogs can be a pain in the arse, its difficult to give them regular work, and some never ease off with experience, but you KNOW they carry the game gene that all terriers need. JMHO. :thumbs:

As in breeding worker to worker, i don't think it's as simple as that....steady to steady doesn't mean 2+2, it's just not that straight forward, the sister to my hard bitch who herself wasn't what you'd call steady (she bayed but with a mouth full of fur) was mated to a dog out of the same line who was used every day stopping and every day hunting (unless he was injured), there was two dogs and four bitches, the dogs worked from day one and were iron hard, none of the bitches worked "full stop" they were all utter shit and the whole lot ended with that mating. As i said before one wrong mating and your back tracking for the next four years.

• Like 1