hard terriers

whats all your veiws on this thares lads all over the place that seem to think hard terriers are better terriers :doh: i think its just stupid whats the point of haveing a terrier that can only be worked 1 every 2 to 3 month when you can have a baying terrier that can be worked 3 to 4 times a week well to me i would rather have the baying dog myself :thumbs: i have a old terrier dog thats 8 and he has done a fair amount of graft over the years but folk seem to think becouse hes not got chunks missing here and thare they dont beleve he works this used to piss me off but now a just dont give a shit as i no myself he works and has been a good littel dog for me over the years :thumbs:

HARD CAN BE GOOD..SOMETIMES.BUT YOU NEED A PROPER MIX,TOO HARD EQUALS LESS TIME TO WORK,IF YE AFTER A FINISH DOG,WHY NOT USE A BULL-TYPE IMO? BUT HARD ONES HAVE THEIR PLACE(JUST NONT OFTEN AS SOMEW THINK).YOU ARE RIGHT GOOD POST :thumbs:

Edited by Scarecrow

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

fair play lads terrier sections about fecked its getting harder to post -- this will be my last post on here so feck it -- read it before its removed - all pre ban in the day when terriers earnt thr snap .. i`ve seen hard terriers deal with awkward foxes in akward places .. i`ve put hard terriers to vixens with cubs where a softer dog could get hammered -- sometimes you need a hard dog to kill to ground steam in rip a fox to bits boss it and get the job done i like bayers and dogs that stay till dug to as much as anyone ... but i dont mind a steamer that will smash its quarry ..as for tougher quarry pre 83 give me a hard dog anyday ....AS FOR THE ANTIS READIN FECK EM ...

I think you have it the wrong way round,i would put a hard terrier to a fox quicker than anyting else.

thats what he is saying :icon_eek:

:yes:

Once, somewhere, Harcombe said: you don't want the hard terrier? Give him to me!

He has a point there, I always remembered it. You need at least one finisher in your team, for you don't want to lose from a fox and some of them can be really difficult, especially the big boys full of hormones (when you hear the war you believe it's a stripe) and the vixens pregnant or with cubs too. They are often courageous till the end for whatever reason, they had better give up and make another family next year, but well that's instinct.

But, I wouldn't have "just" one Bikkel, if I could only have one terrier; even if he killed them all in short order the guns had nothing to shoot and I wouldn't be asked. Besides a one Bikkel I would love to have one or more "Semtex".

• Like 3

A hard dog may only be useful in some places but without hard dogs to breed from you would end up with no good terriers down the line

:thumbs: Places where hard dogs are needed, I would take hard dog or a bayer as long as they stay till the job is done, and as said before, stuff that dosnt want to be dug will not be dug with a bayer. If I had the chance to pick how a dog worked it would be one that bayed but would always be willing to put in that wee bit extra when needed, I wouldnt call that a bayer though

You are wrong.............. seen many an undiggable beast be tamed by a good strong bayer. Just because a dog shows his quarry respect does not mean he is soft he just knows how to work properly. Dogs that let stuff past regularly when the pressure is on are not good baying terriers either. The only time i can see a HARD dog getting you a result faster than with a digging dog is in a very shallow place with few stop ends and he would hold it till dug mid tube. But a good steady dog in the same place would still get you the result might take a little longer but whats the rush the mark of a dog is time to ground IMO not just a head count.

butler you ve hit it spot on i ve a dog here and when people see him they assume he s a hard dog but he aint he ll bay up tight keep stuff busy but if the quarry want too test the water so too speak he ll stand his ground and give as good as he gets he has signs off work on him but its just a collection built up from a lot of digging his brother was very hard for two seasons then realised how to use his brain now he s a nice steady dog who stands up when needs be to.for me the perfect digging dog is a boxer not a brawler they need too have a brain and know how to use it and its time in the ground that makes and shapes them if half the so called owners of hard dogs upped the work load on these dogs they d be suprised the way they settle down altho some might spew and thats what a lot of men are afraid off but you only know what you have in the kennells by working them hard and being honest too yourself cause thats the only person you end up kidding .

spot on regular work settles down alot of steaming in types,also spot on why kid yourself like some do ,good reply dm.

Once, somewhere, Harcombe said: you don't want the hard terrier? Give him to me!

He has a point there, I always remembered it. You need at least one finisher in your team, for you don't want to lose from a fox and some of them can be really difficult, especially the big boys full of hormones (when you hear the war you believe it's a stripe) and the vixens pregnant or with cubs too. They are often courageous till the end for whatever reason, they had better give up and make another family next year, but well that's instinct.

But, I wouldn't have "just" one Bikkel, if I could only have one terrier; even if he killed them all in short order the guns had nothing to shoot and I wouldn't be asked. Besides a one Bikkel I would love to have one or more "Semtex".

team :thumbs:

A hard dog may only be useful in some places but without hard dogs to breed from you would end up with no good terriers down the line

:thumbs: Places where hard dogs are needed, I would take hard dog or a bayer as long as they stay till the job is done, and as said before, stuff that dosnt want to be dug will not be dug with a bayer. If I had the chance to pick how a dog worked it would be one that bayed but would always be willing to put in that wee bit extra when needed, I wouldnt call that a bayer though

You are wrong.............. seen many an undiggable beast be tamed by a good strong bayer. Just because a dog shows his quarry respect does not mean he is soft he just knows how to work properly. Dogs that let stuff past regularly when the pressure is on are not good baying terriers either. The only time i can see a HARD dog getting you a result faster than with a digging dog is in a very shallow place with few stop ends and he would hold it till dug mid tube. But a good steady dog in the same place would still get you the result might take a little longer but whats the rush the mark of a dog is time to ground IMO not just a head count.

See where your coming from.

I get more pleasure from digging to a terrier that works (boxes) the quarry than one that just hangs on, the biggest advantage is digging to that terrier later the same day or the next day. Ive got respect for the hard terrier also, just easy to get fed up with hands stinging from peroxide, salt water etc etc & long lay offs.

• Like 1

think your better sticking to your dog that does 12 foxes in 4 hours you will not go wrong with that one :thumbs: and a machine gun

Why do most lads think that because a terrier can kill a fox in the ground its hard.Ive had several terriers do it time and time again but they were'nt hard they just knew how to do it without taking punishment in the process.No one wants a dog that is goin to be laid up for 3weeks out of every month cause its not a long season.The most inportant thing and this is jmo is when you break through to the dog or bitch that there with the quarry,nothing as bad as diging say 6ft and just about to break in and they move.Thats when a terrier has to up it a gear the last ft of the dig and if it has to take a bit of punishment it should,but on no condition let the quarry get buy,thats when you know how HARD your terrier will work.

• Like 3

Why do most lads think that because a terrier can kill a fox in the ground its hard.Ive had several terriers do it time and time again but they were'nt hard they just knew how to do it without taking punishment in the process.No one wants a dog that is goin to be laid up for 3weeks out of every month cause its not a long season.The most inportant thing and this is jmo is when you break through to the dog or bitch that there with the quarry,nothing as bad as diging say 6ft and just about to break in and they move.Thats when a terrier has to up it a gear the last ft of the dig and if it has to take a bit of punishment it should,but on no condition let the quarry get buy,thats when you know how HARD your terrier will work.

Ok, then could you explain what does the "hard" mean?

Anyway I think the quarry won't move from hard neither at the begin of the dig nor the end -if we are talking about fox of course.

And a hard one also no need to laid up for weeks after foxwork.

OK hard to me would be a terrier that will take stick without making a fuss and next day be jumping at the pen gate to go again ,not .curled up in a ball feeling sorry for itself cause it got a few tips on the nose and if a terrier is looked after right after a dig,not just cleaned it should be fit to go in a couple of days

• Like 1

This is only the difference btwn a terrierman and a hunter... To answer to the question a hunter will not need a hard dog or will think it is useless as he wants to hunt everyday. A terrierman is not really into hunting purpose but more into working his dogs and have fun with them. He will like the hard one and will enjoy to have a big heart dog at his home...

And like said someone else with no hard dog you loose working dogs at the end. It is also usefull to many reasons but don't have the english words to explain sorry.

there would be no terriers with out hard terriers years ago they needed hard terriers to get the job done and the same goes today.

on occasions you need a hard dog to get the job done you alright with a bayer till the quarry tries to boss the dog or push past it this is were i like a dog that wont give an inch or when you break through your not digging on another few feet. i like to break through pull the dog out and sort the job out quickly either with lurcher or gun.