hard terriers

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

I am happy to say that where I live it is up to us to use hard or not hard terriers. When I just started into this I loved the hard dog: why couldn't we breed a dog that just won over a fox easily?

Well, if it was easy, every terrier would win over the fox in quick time. But the fox is well able to give a good account. And often he is in either big places where he can run and stay ahead, or in tight places where he has other advantages.

Our only restriction in sport is that we work for the Guns, that is: they want foxes bolted as quick as possible, often from among rabbits and badgers and everything else, so we seldom want a stayer you need to dig to.

I guess that when my terriers hunt, often long distance and hard terrain and evil weather, for 40 wild boar days a year, they do develop their brains or they don't survive their first or second season.

Earth work is another matter. I want no dog that stays in forever, as we work all sorts of different places from rock to sand and clay, and they can come across setts when they hunt the boars and all go in; so I don't want dogs who fight each other in the earth, either.

When we do badger, of course we must mostly dig, although I succeeded several times on purpose, to bolt the badger. Semtex bolted 4 or 5 each season when she was young.

I am lucky to have a pack of terriers in which there is always one for the job.

Semtex does 90 % of my earth work which means that sometimes she has to work 3 straw bale stacks, (often big and long) and 5 to 10 earths in one day, and bolt maybe 5 to 10 foxes out of these, without getting stuck and having been dug to. Her way of working is baying and mixing and increasing pressure on the quarry, but she intently lets them pass and then pushes them out to bolt: she knows they will be shot for her then.

She is well able to kill them and does so from time to time, after a long time trying everything else or a stubborn one when she loses her patience, and even now when she lost teeth and other teeth are worn down she can still do it. He doesn't get knocked up a lot, but the occanional scar is inevitable with her amount of work. But I never really had to lay her up. Needless to say she is my most useful dog.

I had a dog, Bikkel, who went past the head of the fox quietly, took it by the ribs and pressed and they died in minutes, and he was unharmed. We dug to him several times and only found him on a dead fox after anything from 5 minutes. But sometimes he met the odd, big, rare fox where the trick didn't work and then he did take some and kept trying. His daughter Chili started very hard but soon became clever and careful and then she too, was of good use for working with the guns. I work badger with Sem and her daughter Duvel, or with Peyote, or Coffee, these are tough and lasting enough to dig to, but will not stay in a day. The best is if the guns get bored and want to move on for another, you can call the dog out. But every terrier has a point or situation they will not be called out and then it's either waiting or digging.

It happened to me that during a boar hunt, my entire pack had disappeared in one of Germany's all too numerous badger setts, and all came out alive and not too badly hurt (except one, Fluwijntje). None got smothered because they don't fight inside and they don't push on one another but respect their order of dominance and keep a distance.

Fluwijntje is a so called hard dog who just goes in and kills the fox and hardly bays no matter what it takes. Last season, I used her exactly one time, when a fox was stuck in a one eye hole 8 meter into the hill and 3 meter deep under a big tree in marl clay, and I had tried with 3 terriers and giving it bolting time in between each time.

After giving it another chance to come in the half hour it took me to get Fluwijn and it was still up its same stop end, Fluwijn got in, bayed 3 times, got hold, one hears some banging inside and when Fluwijn reappears after 5 or 7 minutes the fox is dead and if possible, I can let Peyote retrieve it as proof that it is dead.

All my other terriers are bayers and bayers/ mixers who come out every now and then, or on call.

Peyote and Coffee press hard and corner up if they can, and they can stay for considerable time if the fox cannot get out, and I use them only if digging is easy.

I still like to have one hard dog in my team, to finish a job if there is such a problem (like a fox wounded from gunshot, gone back to earth, which will never bolt again) so I like to have one hard dog and 9 with brains, brains, brains. And I always start with a dog which gives the fox 10 chances to bolt.

Last saturday we had 5 foxes in Limburg (Holland) with Maus, a young one doing her first serious job, and Peyote. 4 quick bolts and one dig (Peyote marked it between a 100 rabbit holes and it was a one eye so I dug immediately when she settled) and we got them all.

• Like 1

Was out with local gun club yesterday,just had lurcher with me,anyway they had hounds and ran a fox to ground.They then proceeded to enter a parson type bitch which found so we started a dig 6ft.We dug 2 of these holes and in the end lifted the terrier and left.I know if i had any of my own dogs that fox would have been got in the 1st attempt,i know there is good sounders that will mix it when needed but this was a bayer that did not or was'nt goin to get hurt.

Guest busterdog

Fat man, the earlier comment wasn't meant as a knock to every hard dog out there (or what people think are hard) or your judgement, i know you'v been around for a while and i'de like to think you'd know the real thing lol and it's uses, i was knocking the sort of dog that gets a hold and sits and takes the punishment regardless, like the retard i've got here.

• Like 1

Fat man, the earlier comment wasn't meant as a knock to every hard dog out there (or what people think are hard) or your judgement, i know you'v been around for a while and i'de like to think you'd know the real thing lol and it's uses, i was knocking the sort of dog that gets a hold and sits and takes the punishment regardless, like the retard i've got here.

No prob D and you know a bayer dosent suit the work i do, id be diging all day,but as i said earlier everyone to there own.

fair play lads terrier sections about fecked its getting harder to post -- this will be my last post on here so feck it -- read it before its removed - all pre ban in the day when terriers earnt thr snap .. i`ve seen hard terriers deal with awkward foxes in akward places .. i`ve put hard terriers to vixens with cubs where a softer dog could get hammered -- sometimes you need a hard dog to kill to ground steam in rip a fox to bits boss it and get the job done i like bayers and dogs that stay till dug to as much as anyone ... but i dont mind a steamer that will smash its quarry ..as for tougher quarry pre 83 give me a hard dog anyday ....AS FOR THE ANTIS READIN FECK EM ...

• Like 2

fair play lads terrier sections about fecked its getting harder to post -- this will be my last post on here so feck it -- read it before its removed - all pre ban in the day when terriers earnt thr snap .. i`ve seen hard terriers deal with awkward foxes in akward places .. i`ve put hard terriers to vixens with cubs where a softer dog could get hammered -- sometimes you need a hard dog to kill to ground steam in rip a fox to bits boss it and get the job done i like bayers and dogs that stay till dug to as much as anyone ... but i dont mind a steamer that will smash its quarry ..as for tougher quarry pre 83 give me a hard dog anyday ....AS FOR THE ANTIS READIN FECK EM ...

SHORT SHARP AND NEVER A TRUER POST :thumbs:

The only terrier I don't like is the one which goes in, avoids contact to all cost, and if it takes longer than say 15 minutes, comes out and pretends there was no fox, or the terrier which marks false, that is, bays, but when you dig, there is no fox, or it is miles away.

Yes, where I live, many (most) jack russells (show bred) suffer from that.

In Limburg (Holland) it is very crowded with people, and foxes, and the foxes are used to dogs running loose everywhere and it is quite hard to bolt them there. When we worked there it was good weather and everyone was out walking numerous dogs. Do you really believe foxes bolt easily there, and the dogs must find them among hundreds of bunnies too, and some (in other places many) badgers which are protected there.