hard terriers

whats all your veiws on this thares lads all over the place that seem to think hard terriers are better terriers :doh: i think its just stupid whats the point of haveing a terrier that can only be worked 1 every 2 to 3 month when you can have a baying terrier that can be worked 3 to 4 times a week well to me i would rather have the baying dog myself :thumbs: i have a old terrier dog thats 8 and he has done a fair amount of graft over the years but folk seem to think becouse hes not got chunks missing here and thare they dont beleve he works this used to piss me off but now a just dont give a shit as i no myself he works and has been a good littel dog for me over the years :thumbs:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

whats all your veiws on this thares lads all over the place that seem to think hard terriers are better terriers :doh: i think its just stupid whats the point of haveing a terrier that can only be worked 1 every 2 to 3 month when you can have a baying terrier that can be worked 3 to 4 times a week well to me i would rather have the baying dog myself :thumbs: i have a old terrier dog thats 8 and he has done a fair amount of graft over the years but folk seem to think becouse hes not got chunks missing here and thare they dont beleve he works this used to piss me off but now a just dont give a shit as i no myself he works and has been a good littel dog for me over the years :thumbs:

said it before hard terriers can be an handy tool just depends how you use them .....

Hard Terriers may suit some people ie.someone who dosnt get out that often,or someone who hasnt the work for the dog,lads who are digging week in week out obviously wouldnt suit them.

dezzy

team work like i say handy tool to have .... if you`ve only got 1 terrier then i`d agree ...

• Like 1

It all depends on what you call a hard terrier.Lads definition of hard vary.The dogs i keep most lads would say there hard,but i would say there hard workers,but with brains to match.Sounders are grand,but i seen a lot just when your about to break through the quarry will push and the dog move with it,which means a second hole to open.I also seen dogs which get a few marks on a dig and there owners think there in bits and lay them off for weeks,i give mine a week and there grand,but everyone to there own.

• Like 5

said it before hard terriers can be an handy tool just depends how you use them .....

Stig -Thats a great point. If you ask the question like whats the point, well then your eithere very lucky or dont hunt enough. In the States , no one really hunts badger so just leave that one out but coons and very few fox with woodchucks. The last 3 somtimes get to a places you cant dig anymore,cant get a weapon on it or a draw dog. Its beating the piss out of your terrier and you want it ended......hard terrier. Everyone should have one in your toolbox :yes:

• Like 1

It all depends on what you call a hard terrier.Lads definition of hard vary.The dogs i keep most lads would say there hard,but i would say there hard workers,but with brains to match.Sounders are grand,but i seen a lot just when your about to break through the quarry will push and the dog move with it,which means a second hole to open.I also seen dogs which get a few marks on a dig and there owners think there in bits and lay them off for weeks,i give mine a week and there grand,but everyone to there own.

Was just about to say that.

In my eyes there are two types of hard terrier:-

Ones which boss their quarry.

Ones which are bossed.

Some dogs pick up the knack of killing foxes with unbelievable regularity and pick up very few marks. Thats a sensible hard terrier.

Then you get those that steam in and finish up as if someone has split logs on their face whilst their opponent is virtually unscathed.

The latter is of little/no use to me. Stupidly hard is only a liability in the field.

And lets not forget, this is all PRE BAN. In todays terms we are only legally aloud to use a soft bayer.

:thumbs:

FTB

• Like 1

A hard dog may only be useful in some places but without hard dogs to breed from you would end up with no good terriers down the line

:thumbs: Places where hard dogs are needed, I would take hard dog or a bayer as long as they stay till the job is done, and as said before, stuff that dosnt want to be dug will not be dug with a bayer. If I had the chance to pick how a dog worked it would be one that bayed but would always be willing to put in that wee bit extra when needed, I wouldnt call that a bayer though