MOURNE LURCHER AND TERRIER CHARITY SHOW

I have 2 good working bred latvians for the digging comp

bring them along the more the merrier :D ,ive had interest from a girl team.wouldnt that be some craic if the terriermen got beat by the terrier women :doh:

i would love to be beaten by a couple of terrierwomen, i'd have to inspect their holes, to make sure theres nothing fishy going on

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

great pics .. any more of number 6

Posted Images

I have 2 good working bred latvians for the digging comp

bring them along the more the merrier :D ,ive had interest from a girl team.wouldnt that be some craic if the terriermen got beat by the terrier women :doh:

i would love to be beaten by a couple of terrierwomen, i'd have to inspect their holes, to make sure theres nothing fishy going on

:clapping: thats a job for ya then big fella dark dirty hole inspector :D :D

THE MOURNE LURCHER AND TERRIER SHOW WILL BE HELD AT THE USUAL VENUE IN GLASSDRUMMAN COUNTY DOWN,

ON THE DAY WILL BE ALL THE USUAL LURCHER TERRIER WHIPPET STRONGDOG AND HOUND CLASSES AND RACING ALONG WITH A FEW NEW AND REVIVED EVENTS TO BE ANNOUNCED LATER,THERE WILL BE STALLS FOOD AND KIDS ENTERTAINMENT SO COME ALONG FOR A GREAT HUNTING BASED FAMILY DAY

u never told us the date :whistling:

digging competition is run as follows

it will be for teams of two,on entry each team will take a number from a hat which will correspond with a dig site.luck of the draw but all ground is the same.

each team will use their own tools spade,shovel though a maddock is allowed

first team to be able to place the box in their dig with the top stick level with original ground level wins,

prizes will be double so each member has trophy each

Tango,

Well done with the innovative competition and a real chance to test the 'working ability' of the owners.

I would be delighted to help with sponsorship.

If we can brand it the Irish Countrysports and Country Life Magazine Digging Championship and get the relevant photos of competitors and winners for a magazine report I would be happy to put up two tankards, two annual magazine subscriptions and £50 for the winning team and two magazine subscriptions for the best team of ladies (or runner up to the ladies if they win!). If it goes well I would be happy to put up a perpetual trophy for future years.

Well done I really do love to see innvovative ideas coming forward!

Albertj

PS If Seamus & Matt were in better shape I would have entered a team - both were good diggers in their day - Seamus being 'low to the ground' was almost designed for it! but both are a bit crocked at present.

Almost tempted to have a go myself - my wife thinks I'm a bit of a mole as everywhere we have lived - I have constructed various earthworks, ponds etc and currently excavating by hand a fair major structure. My kids birthday presents to me have always included mattocks, picks, spades, shovels etc - but for some reason I have never mastered the long tail shovel which I think is the most inefficient tool ever invented!

Edited by AlbertJ

it will be for teams of two,on entry each team will take a number from a hat which will correspond with a dig site.luck of the draw but all ground is the same.

first team to be able to place the box in their dig with the top stick level with original ground level wins,

Tango,

Well done with the innovative competition and a real chance to test the 'working ability' of the owners.

If we can brand it the Irish Countrysports and Country Life Magazine Digging Championship and get the relevant photos of competitors and winners for a magazine report I would be happy to put up two tankards, two annual magazine subscriptions and £50 for the winning team and two magazine subscriptions for the best team of ladies (or runner up to the ladies if they win!). If it goes well I would be happy to put up a perpetual trophy for future years.

Albertj

PS If Seamus & Matt were in better shape I would have entered a team - both were good diggers in their day - Seamus being 'low to the ground' was almost designed for it! but both are a bit crocked at present.

Almost tempted to have a go myself - my wife thinks I'm a bit of a mole as everywhere we have lived - I have constructed various earthworks, ponds etc and currently excavating by hand a fair major structure. My kids birthday presents to me have always included mattocks, picks, spades, shovels etc - but for some reason I have never mastered the long tail shovel which I think is the most inefficient tool ever invented!

its a bad worker that blames the tools albert, always leaver the long tail of above the knee, its a great tool on site. if your there? the TULLYLISH WORKING TERRIER CLUB will let you do a bit of shovlin for us, but no share of the prize money if we win

Tango,

Albertj

you need to empty your inbox albert :thumbs: thanks for the very kind offer albert its very much appreciated and it would be great but id only except it as the mourne digging championship sponsered by irish countrysports and countrylife magazine,you can still have all the relevant pictures and details and the like but this is the first of what i want to be a long running event in the yearly show calender. as im sure you can understand the name has to relate firstly till the show. on the entry front id like to see sheamus enter as ive been told hes dug alot in his time and hes not that old yet.you are also most welcome to enter with a partner.the more the merrier :thumbs:

If it is digging by hand tell the guys digging not to forget to bring a jack hammer LOL :whistling: if the ground is as hard as I remember around newcastle

Sounds like fun :D hope the ground isnt too hard :cry: will have to get myself a good strong partner digging-1.gif

Tango,

Albertj

its a bad worker that blames the tools albert, always leaver the long tail of above the knee, its a great tool on site. if your there? the TULLYLISH WORKING TERRIER CLUB will let you do a bit of shovlin for us, but no share of the prize money if we win

Tully,

That explaines everything! Perhaps the design thats wrong is me - cursed with long back/short arms - perhaps I should get the shovel fitted to me. Of all my tools it is the one in pristine condition as I never use it!

Seriously I shall enjoy watching you and others demonstrate how to do it right but I have always thought - a lot of effort for very little earth removal.

Oh - and I never take my own prize money even on the rare occasions that I, or mainly my dogs have been good enough to win it.

Albertj

Tango,

Albertj

you need to empty your inbox albert :thumbs: thanks for the very kind offer albert its very much appreciated and it would be great but id only except it as the mourne digging championship sponsered by irish countrysports and countrylife magazine,you can still have all the relevant pictures and details and the like but this is the first of what i want to be a long running event in the yearly show calender. as im sure you can understand the name has to relate firstly till the show. on the entry front id like to see sheamus enter as ive been told hes dug alot in his time and hes not that old yet.you are also most welcome to enter with a partner.the more the merrier :thumbs:

Tango,

Thanks for reminnding me - my mail box gets filled very quickly - as you have probably guessed all compliments!

Re: the sponsorship that's what I was offering - your idea, your show! I really do think it's a good innovative idea and one that will not only be a bit of fun but also demonstrate a bit of skill. Very happy to have it the Mourne Digging Championship sponsored by Irish Countrysports and Country Life.

Regarding participation unfortunately Old Father Time is catching ( or has probably caught up) on Seamus, Matt and myself. Seamus has a very bad leg with ligament danage due to a fall on the ice; Mr Lee has problems with his legs - rather self inflicted I think through tobacco ingestion ! and I have a bad back due to probably moving too many tons of earth without using a long tail shovel in the manner in which Tulleyed has advised me! Although had Seamus been available I think I might have had a go as a bit of fun.

As I have said I am/have been a keen 'amateur' excavator but Seamus until recently was one of the best diggers with his 'Iron Maiden' that I have ever seen.

Albertj