starlight archer

Cheers derboy, now I understand! I went to zero my 22-250 today with the S&B scope ready for tonight, there's no mod on it so it was like a cannon. There's no way Im putting my eye tight behind an add on on that b*****d I came straight back and stuck the S&B on the .22 what a difference, my boys toy bb gun sounds more powerful than em sub sonics! So I need a new gun no matter what! I'll give one of those calibres a bit more thought. Cheers :thumbs:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HA , theirs a hell of a difference with no mod on even with the 204 .try a mod on it . i got the wildcat on the 6mm interchangeable with the 308 , so could do it with the 22.50 and if you go for one of the smaller call , but make sure its stated on you ticket INTERCHANGEABLE WITH BOTH CAL,S . just another thought for you . :thumbs:

The wild cat, isn't that the one you can dissmantle and clean? I've got the t8 on my other 22-250 and it rusts like hell. I was thinking of a stainless steel one on my next gun, are they any good? What do you think of stainless barrels apart from theyre a bit shiny?

yes the wild cat can be dissmantle and clean, i found to make sure you give the joints a good amount of copper slip or same thing simler regular to stop it from sticking .as far as stainless barrels go id say yes every time, the blued barrels rust to quick for me.

to shiny i dont think charlie will worry to much about that hes more concerned about whats cameing out of it . :laugh:

The shine is only a problem at dawn and dusk and old charlie does tend to pick up on the slightest movement during the daylight. I really wouldn't want to tape a floating barrel like they do with air rifles, but I suppose if it was a problem I don't suppose spraying it would do any harm.

Well I think that's a 204 stainless barrel and stainless silencer. Cheers derboy :thumbs:

dont rush in to , have a look at the other,s first . the 204 ammo goes up to 45gr thats soft nose , dont like it as it runs through old charlie , i use the 40gr vmax and very rarely get them going through(safty in mind ). the 222 goes up to 60gr and they do that in v max in 5o gr 55gr 60gr .the 223 does the same . as for speed theirs not much in it .

best of luck :thumbs:

So what's got the most stopping power at 150-200yrds?

Are any of them any good for 250yrds?

which is the flattest shooting?

As I want it for nv I just want to point and aim. After last night with a .22 I'll be sticking to the 22-250 and lamp until I sort the variation. (until it gets dark then I probably wont be able to resist this new addiction!)

I dont mind the bullet going sraight through, Im used to it with the 22-250. There's usually a mountain behind the foxes I shoot at so backstop is hardly ever an issue.

the most stopping power is a factor in accuracy aswell ,you have to place it in the right place.usally the bigger the bullet more stopping power, more recoil ,less speed .

all three cals are good to them ranges,but theirs other factors to take in when shooting at those distances and the wind is the worse, take a bullet off even at short range .

you should be able to get your foxs in much closser if you intend useing your nv thats what i found out and if they dont then they are their for you again and havent been disturbed .

backstop is allways in my mind aswell but i do a fair bit of shooting among the live stock so dont whant the bullet going any ware-else . the one farm has about 6-8 thousand sheep (for winter fatting )so you under stand why i dont like the bullet going through.

derboy :thumbs:

Edited by DERBOY

ballistics is not my strong point on which is the best in the wind.but lighter bullets are more common to miss its target than the heaver bullet, same one on here will know more than this and should put you right.

Edited by DERBOY

ballistics is not my strong point on which is the best in the wind.but lighter bullets are more common to miss its target than the heaver bullet, same one on here will know more than this and would but you right.

Cheers derboy lets hope they do, my variation form should be here tomorrow and it's not going to be sitting about long because my middle name is rush in head first regret it later!

My shooting buddy has the Archer for his 223 and uses a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 lr with varmint cross which is good but when he puts the Archer on his 17hmr its better as he has a MTC Viper 6-24x56 scope both scopes have side focus so it must be down to the 56mm objective lense i guess but both work well.

Thanks Tobias that's interesting. I would guess the 56mm scope would let in more light? I'll do a trial between my 42+50 and see the difference. I cant mount the mono on my 50 but its worth holding it in place to try your theory.

Cheers :thumbs:

The Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 lr V the MTC Viper 6-24x56 you will find top end scopes have more coatings on the lenses to prevent white out this can cause some scope not to preform as good with some add-on's , also its down to what add-on you are using gen1/2/3, i done a repair on an Archer which the image intensifier tube had gone down it was a game keepers unit and money wasn't a problem his employer was paying :D , the lad loved the unit so didn't want a replacement so i offered him a gen 3 mx100160 tube which cost £1000 at the time , i fitted the tube and the unit was better than the envis, i put this down to better glass on the Archer.