lurcher with lump on meck

My 2 year old lurcher has a 5 inch lumpon her neck

It's on the under side of her jaw. It went

Down last week but had came back with a vengance.

Any idea's?

I suspect it's a blocked salivary gland (see attached pik) the reason being because of the location and the sudden onset of swelling, it resolving then re-occuring. The duct that discharges into the mouth can get a constricture, swelling builds up and pressure can become substantial enough to cause the gland to spontaneously discharge into the mouth. When the gland is emptied the constriction can return as the duct shrinks back to normal size allowing the problem to recur again. (think of it like a kink in a hosepipe)

Treatment depends on your vet. Personally I favour leaving them alone and only seeking treatment to either drain the gland or provide anti-biotics IF the gland becomes infected. I wouldn't consider having the gland surgically removed unless the gland is repeatedly becoming infected and painful because they cn resolve on their own and the surgery involved is risky due to the surrounding anatomy.

This is my gut instinct based on what you've said BUT you must get the dog examined by a vet because there are a lot of other possibilities e.g. a dental problem, a foreign body that is tracking through the neck tissue or other more sinister causes but I can't stress enough that the latter is extremely rare. I have been unfortunate enough to loose a dog to tonsillar cancer that was initally thought to be a foreign body which is why I'm being a tad paranoid. However as I'm sure you appreciate, the latter problems don't tend to come and go wheras it's classic for salivary gland blockages to do this.

post-15390-0-75611500-1297283675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wild Whippies

My 2 year old lurcher has a 5 inch lumpon her neck

It's on the under side of her jaw. It went

Down last week but had came back with a vengance.

Any idea's?

I suspect it's a blocked salivary gland (see attached pik) the reason being because of the location and the sudden onset of swelling, it resolving then re-occuring. The duct that discharges into the mouth can get a constricture, swelling builds up and pressure can become substantial enough to cause the gland to spontaneously discharge into the mouth. When the gland is emptied the constriction can return as the duct shrinks back to normal size allowing the problem to recur again. (think of it like a kink in a hosepipe)

Treatment depends on your vet. Personally I favour leaving them alone and only seeking treatment to either drain the gland or provide anti-biotics IF the gland becomes infected. I wouldn't consider having the gland surgically removed unless the gland is repeatedly becoming infected and painful because they cn resolve on their own and the surgery involved is risky due to the surrounding anatomy.

This is my gut instinct based on what you've said BUT you must get the dog examined by a vet because there are a lot of other possibilities e.g. a dental problem, a foreign body that is tracking through the neck tissue or other more sinister causes but I can't stress enough that the latter is extremely rare. I have been unfortunate enough to loose a dog to tonsillar cancer that was initally thought to be a foreign body which is why I'm being a tad paranoid. However as I'm sure you appreciate, the latter problems don't tend to come and go wheras it's classic for salivary gland blockages to do this.

show off :icon_redface:i guess you have had this problem with one of yours :thumbs:half of the time a vet will sell what you dont need :thumbdown:quite classy on the spelling threr :laugh: , and after all that what is a wheras :whistling::laugh::laugh: Edited by psm