Dispatching deer using a knife through the Atlas joint

Hello bullmastiff!

I to have had issues with the atlas joint on the past....and your right, it isn’t "always" instant...end of story! As previously mentioned you have to change the method according to the situation.

When I went on my first impala hunt in Africa I was faced with a VERY lively buck (the one as my profile pic as it goes), I managed to avoid getting severally injured (god knows how, I was so inexperienced back then) and straddle the buck so I could use a knife... when I stuck it, it only seems to anger the beast even more! It quickly turned in to a "buffalo bill" and the wild west show! :whistling:

Anyway, the end result was a going for the heart, and to be honest I think I will always go for the heart in future.

Hope you and the family are well! Had a good night on the rabbits last night, 31 in and hour and a half.

Speak to you soon mate.

Hiya Rob, sorry for the late reply. Were all good thanks, still working the long hours in the docks at the moment, trying to take the money whilst it's still there.

You'd of wiped out my entire permission of Rabbits taking that many up here in one night! lol mind you, you could probably take that many Roe in a single night lol!!! :tongue2:

Maybe I could ship some down to you!

As you saw when you came up here for a 'walk' with the dogs, there's large amounts of Roe around here but also loads of small lanes being used by d*cks thinking their on a rally stage. On most of my permissions your not more than 2-300yds from a road at any one time.

So always a few RTA's involving deer.

I swapped back to stopping the circulatory system either by a cut to the throat or pushing the knife between neck and throat into the heart. One good thing with going for the heart this way is that as long as you try to keep the deer facing 'uphill' (on the verge etc) then they tend to bleed out internally so creating less mess for any public to see.

Used this technique this weekend on Red Deer calf to good effect. Knife has to be at least 6" long though, which is illegal...that's the problem methinks ;-)

have to agree with you

I don't know about it having to be at least a 6" blade, my knife's only about 4" long although it has a thin handle too. It will still stick out the other side of the throat once it's passed through the atlas joint.

The whole idea of going for the atlas joint is to sever the spine, which is probably less than an inch under the skin at that point.

As someone said earlier the length of the blade is almost irrelevant with regards to the law. It's how, where and why it's carried that is the biggest bone of contention you'll come across. I can almost guarantee you've got blades longer than 6" in your kitchen draw but the police won't even blink an eye at it, if they find a 2" blade on you when your sat in a pub/club then you'll probably be in a world of trouble!!!

Basically I'm trying to say is that if it's a work tool carried whilst working then you'll be fine with regards to the law.

Thank you all for your responses, it's been much appreciated.

All the best,

Luke.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whats wrong with cutting its throat? If done properly and cleanly it quick and bleeds them out well.

I was taught the thoraic stick method on my DSC 1 course, and used it to good effect this week on a spine shot roe buck. I approached down hill from behind, and imobilised the animal by kneeling on its shoulders and neck. Then I inserted the knife into the botton of the neck, as per the best practice guide. As the heart was still beating blood loss was rapid, and death quickly followed.