whippets and foxes

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope this pic.comes out OK. My rabbitting team( and me )in 1961. The whippet was a pure from a guy who had been breeding his own line of workers ,best catcher to best catcher,for 12 generations.- 20in

ive found over the years that anything with whippet blood in it has a natural instict to hate fox,s ,sometimes the size can let them down abit but the heart is definatly there ,probs all the terrier b

Posted Images

iv got whippet dog 9 year old whos taken many foxes hed rather hunt fox than rabbit never had any serious injurys i had to pull him out of a sett only last week i just managed to catch him by tail before he got to far in . one of gamest dogs iv seen

any pics of the lad bedo? :thumbs:

The whippets that I have seen are very game but I have never seen one take fox single handed when people say single handed they mean catch and hold them until you get there with a blade or do they mean catch and kill them right out and the fox is dead within seconds personally I no that whippets have got balls and gutts but don't think they could knock a fox out in the time that is humaine i just think it would be a bit of a fight with whipperts smaller than 21" I'm not saying that it's never been done but it would take a very good one to do it I will beleve it when I see it hope some one can prove me wrong some day

Atb ebo

Hope this pic.comes out OK. My rabbitting team( and me )in 1961. The whippet was a pure from a guy who had been breeding his own line of workers ,best catcher to best catcher,for 12 generations.- 20in 24pounds.The terrier was a hunt terrier reject non spannable 14ins 26 pounds.

They were mainly used for rabbits but they would kill the occasional fox that we came across.

The whippet had learned to catch feral cats by the tail and drag and shake it untill the terrier caught up and crunched it.He used the same technique on foxes.I had to put him down at 12 (painful arthritis). He never had a mark on him.

post-44341-0-79440400-1297377057_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hope this pic.comes out OK. My rabbitting team( and me )in 1961. The whippet was a pure from a guy who had been breeding his own line of workers ,best catcher to best catcher,for 12 generations.- 20in 24pounds.The terrier was a hunt terrier reject non spannable 14ins 26 pounds.

They were mainly used for rabbits but they would kill the occasional fox that we came across.

The whippet had learned to catch feral cats by the tail and drag and shake it untill the terrier caught up and crunched it.He used the same technique on foxes.I had to put him down at 12 (painful arthritis). He never had a mark on him.

nice photo :thumbs:

nice photo :thumbs:

Thanks -my missis took that on a box brownie as was just off for my evening mooch.The gun was for anything from pigeons to roe. In those days I could wander anywhere with no dog leads, carrying a db 12 bore and get no hassle from anyone.Bit different today !