whippets and foxes

mate of mine has a whippet that nearly ten and he has been slaughtering foxes all his working life .I can honestly say he is one of the gamest dogs iv ever seen for a small dog and by god does he throw game pups aswell.I was just wondering if there is many lads out there that use whippets for foxes aswell

Sounds a good one Scent :thumbs: , would ye know what breeding is in him?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope this pic.comes out OK. My rabbitting team( and me )in 1961. The whippet was a pure from a guy who had been breeding his own line of workers ,best catcher to best catcher,for 12 generations.- 20in

ive found over the years that anything with whippet blood in it has a natural instict to hate fox,s ,sometimes the size can let them down abit but the heart is definatly there ,probs all the terrier b

Posted Images

mate of mine has a whippet that nearly ten and he has been slaughtering foxes all his working life .I can honestly say he is one of the gamest dogs iv ever seen for a small dog and by god does he throw game pups aswell.I was just wondering if there is many lads out there that use whippets for foxes aswell

A old friend of mine had one but would only go in doubled up

this dog is 100 % single handed keano ,my mate bred it to his half cross collie hound and every pup off the litter turned into excellent foxing bitchs and dogs

friend of mind got two whippets and he never chance it single so both slipped but do a good job both got scars from it but whos dog aint

ive found over the years that anything with whippet blood in it has a natural instict to hate fox,s ,sometimes the size can let them down abit but the heart is definatly there ,probs all the terrier blood in them :thumbs:

Would definately agree with this statement there is no more game dog than a good working terrier and a lot of whippets have a fair bit of terrier blood in their lineage. Plus a lot of them dont know that they are small must be the poisen dwarf syndrome.

Scent- I think I know whos the guy in your avatar :icon_eek: Havnt seen much of that here in the the states but we used to run T. Lewis whippets from OR. Some of those males could take a fox but it wasnt pretty. A budd from NY put patterdale, GH, Apbt into Tony's dogs and they were a little more durable, slower but not any rougher than the originals.The run ups and coarsing was the best but the catchs looked like two cats fighting/f*cking :D

Scent when your friends Whippet was in his prime how fast afer the catch did it take to end it on average. Stunt

maybe a minute or two at most pal ,as soon as he had a proper grip it was night night pal ,and dont be afraid of the clown in my avatar :laugh:

Scent when your friends Whippet was in his prime how fast afer the catch did it take to end it on average. Stunt

maybe a minute or two at most pal ,as soon as he had a proper grip it was night night pal ,and dont be afraid of the clown in my avatar :laugh:

any chance of a pic of him ,how hes bred ie show ,racing working .ive seen whippets take foxes, most are game enough,always there to lend a hand though,its better for the dog to end it fast

had a few wipets years ago one got a fair few fox and would draw as good as any

go up any tube went to ground a few times too and had to dig him out once

had another and she caught a fox and to be honest the bitch was getting a hiding

these type dogs can be a good base in lurcher breeding

mack

iv got whippet dog 9 year old whos taken many foxes hed rather hunt fox than rabbit never had any serious injurys i had to pull him out of a sett only last week i just managed to catch him by tail before he got to far in . one of gamest dogs iv seen