.17 hmr silencer advice

ok been out twice now with me cz .17 hmr and scope now dial in.but fitting i still missing rabbits from bout 50/60 yards.got back later and cleaned out unscrew silncer and hole going threw silncer bigger than bore of rifle barrel me thinking shop gave me .22 silncer instead of .17 or is this normal for it too be bigger?????any adivse please be helpful.

Hello mate, Im not the one to be giving the specific answer, but the moderator is obviously bigger than the bore but only fractionally. If it's that much bigger it's not going to alter the tragectory of the bullet. I would imagine that it just would't be as quiet as it could be.

What distance have you zero'd your rifle? If it's a new rifle you need to spend time seeing exactly where your point of imopact is at different distances although I believe the .17's a pretty flat round so you should be hitting a rabbit pretty easily at 60 yrds.

Have you checked mounts etc for tightness so your not loosing zero?

I've been reading a lot lately about parallax error in the scope, which basically seems to mean when you are looking at the cross on a target, if you move your head side to side the cross moves off the target and to the side. Most fixed parralax scopes are set at 100yrds so if you are shooting any other distances you really need to position your head correctly or you are looking at the wrong point of impact. With a variable scope wacked up on high mag it might look like an easy shot but you could be shooting at the wrong point of impact. Your best bet is to pratise during the day at different distances and when you shoot with a lamp take a shooting stick. When you are taking a 60 yrd standing shot at a rabbit it's more than twice as hard as to taking that standing shot at 30yrds with an air gun. Everybody misses just some miss less than others. What little experience I have of the .17 is that it's an extremely accurate round so just keep at it, you'll get there! :thumbs:

You will get your first kill, then that'll follow by a load more :clapper: and then you'll start missing again and be back in the same boat wondering what's going wrong :angry: , so you go out and buy a new scope and all seems to be well again :yes: and then you miss :wallbash: it's a visious circle but good fun and feels good when you get it right!

Instead of practicing on rabbits why are you not shooting targets.

With a .17HMR you should easily be grouping half inch at 50 yards and off a bipod headshots on rabbits are no problem out to 100 yards with a bit of practice.

Tell us what your rifle is, what is your ammo and exactly what is the scope you are using at what magnification. So far all you have told us is that you are a lousy shot who doesn't know what he is doing and just wants to kill things. Not good. Really not good.

So lets start again shall we.......

People here really want to help you. I took a complete beginner out today, never shot anything before, after a couple of shots she (yes she) was shooting tight groups at 60 yards with both .22 and HMR, easy peasy.

It sounds as though your technique and maybe your equipment, or both, need tweaking. If you are standing up and shooting from the shoulder I am not surprised you are missing, if from a bipod or even sticks, you shouldn't be, not at that range. At 50 yards a body shot with the HMR will turn a rabbit inside out, certainly not edible and very dead.

So back to shooting paper please, get it right and become a good shot.

The moderator is absolutely not your problem and is probably interchangeable between .17 and .22, rimfire and air rifle that is perfectly normal.

Sorry for the lecture.

Les

you def need more practice mate,and you will need a few round,s through a new rifle to break her in,especially with an hmr,took mine load,s,it is not a point and shoot toy,you do still need hold over,and under,especially at short ranges like 60 yds,,you cant zero your rifle at whatever you choose and have the same zero at every point inbetween,it moves with the distance,if you know what i mean,put target,s up at dif lentgh,s and try it,ok,ian,get a laser range finder,will give you a better ideaok

what are you zeroed at?

if you zero at 100 you could easily be up to an inch high at 75-85yds (its the only real "hole" it has in its flat trajectory.

if you zero at 50 you could be shooting under at 75-85, especially if you have high rings.

zero at 120 ish and you should be PBR (2" target) out to 150, no holdover required.

you silencer shouldnt make any difference but it is lilely to be a 22 sized bore if not bigger. given the bullet strike issues manufacturers of some moderators make the bore very large.

I bought one for my .177 air rifle and the bore was close to 7.2mm (0.28"!!)

Edited by bewsher500

again another vote for going back to paper. live quarry is not the place for paracticing or setting your dope. I have my HMR zeroed at 100m, I can shoot everything from there down to 25m with a bit of hold under, exact ammounts aren't crucial considering thee effectiveness and explosive nature if the frangible varmint bullet it shoots, place those shots carefully, be responsible and you'll have a bag load of tasty bunnies!

How many rounds as the rifle had up it since you last used solvent cleaner in the bore if its more than 50 it needs a solvent clean to get rid of the moly build up i do mine at 50 Max! And it does make a differance i would have never belived it till i did it myself thought it was my scope too!! :blink:

Make sure your mounts are secure.

Try without the MOD on see how it matches up groupings wise.

You need to shoot about 50 rounds to make sure your zero right and you can consistantly hit 1" group at 50yards thats your minimum level for live target shooting in my opinion.

if your shooting free hand with no support then you will need alot of practice its hard i dont care what anyone says!!

And last of all dont worry its all about practice and good routines you will crack it no problem ATB

If your still stuck SNAP SHOT is your man :thumbs:

This is just my thoughts others might think differently ATB Tony :thumbs:

Get the targets out for practice :thumbs:

Edited by CUPCAKE118