Hi Everyone. Just wanted to say hello from Canada. Very interested in the British way of hunting and looking forward to leaning more. So far i've been on a Pheasant shoot in North Wales and i've stalked Roe Deer in Scotland. Hopefully many more adventures to come!

Cheers.

hi pal give us an in sight to wat you hunt in canada

Well, i really like big game. We spend Oct to Dec bowhunting for whitetail deer. First week of Nov is our annual shotgun hunt for deer. This is a lot of fun. All the neighbours, about a dozen of us get together and chase the deer all week. We usually get 15 to 20 in that time. It's basically a cull to try and cut the numbers down.

August is Bear hunting time. Me and my youngest boy prefer our 12ga for this. My oldest boy uses his .270.

We do a little bit of rabbit hunting after deer season but the snow usally gets too deep by Feb. There's plenty of ducks and geese but we don't hunt them. Also lots of foxes and coyotes but we rarely hunt them either. The only time we shoot them is when were deer hunting and the opertunity presents itself. Spring time is Turkey season. Lots of fun and very challenging. Hunting over here is a lot different than in the UK. Our seasons are much shorter and bag limits much smaller than yours. On the plus side, there is plenty of ground available. Over here you just knock on doors and ask for hunting permission and i've never heard of anyone paying for permission. In our area i hunt only a small percent of the ground that is available to me. I have a brother that lives in Texas so i try to get down at least once a year for Hogs or varmints. I've been on a pheasant shoot in North Wales and i've stalked Roe deer in Scotland. I'm very interested in the way things are done in the UK. I guess it's in my genes! (Born in Bedford) My goal is to go after Muntjac and CWD next year. Hopefully try Ferriting for rabbits some time and lamping for Foxes. Also very interested in hunting Munty's with dogs. There's a whole world of experiences out there. Hopefully i can get a few in before my time is up!

Well, i really like big game. We spend Oct to Dec bowhunting for whitetail deer. First week of Nov is our annual shotgun hunt for deer. This is a lot of fun. All the neighbours, about a dozen of us get together and chase the deer all week. We usually get 15 to 20 in that time. It's basically a cull to try and cut the numbers down.

August is Bear hunting time. Me and my youngest boy prefer our 12ga for this. My oldest boy uses his .270.

We do a little bit of rabbit hunting after deer season but the snow usally gets too deep by Feb. There's plenty of ducks and geese but we don't hunt them. Also lots of foxes and coyotes but we rarely hunt them either. The only time we shoot them is when were deer hunting and the opertunity presents itself. Spring time is Turkey season. Lots of fun and very challenging. Hunting over here is a lot different than in the UK. Our seasons are much shorter and bag limits much smaller than yours. On the plus side, there is plenty of ground available. Over here you just knock on doors and ask for hunting permission and i've never heard of anyone paying for permission. In our area i hunt only a small percent of the ground that is available to me. I have a brother that lives in Texas so i try to get down at least once a year for Hogs or varmints. I've been on a pheasant shoot in North Wales and i've stalked Roe deer in Scotland. I'm very interested in the way things are done in the UK. I guess it's in my genes! (Born in Bedford) My goal is to go after Muntjac and CWD next year. Hopefully try Ferriting for rabbits some time and lamping for Foxes. Also very interested in hunting Munty's with dogs. There's a whole world of experiences out there. Hopefully i can get a few in before my time is up!

in uk its very hard without the right contacts thats why so much poaching goes off people wanna hunt but dont have the big dollar to do it legally so you have to know the right people and hunting with dogs is virtualy banned because of our idiot government lot of people here would love to hunt half the stuff you do.ive hunted munty`s here and they very good sport and i.m.h.o. are the best to eat out of all the types ive tryed .do many hunters get attacked by bear or boar in your country wilst hunting them seen people on tv that say theyve been attacked and do you use dogs to hunt bear and boar then shoot them at bay or do you stalk and then shoot them.do you use terriers to hunt varmint and coon and woodchuck and such like.yours in sport fido :thumbs:

in uk its very hard without the right contacts thats why so much poaching goes off people wanna hunt but dont have the big dollar to do it legally so you have to know the right people and hunting with dogs is virtualy banned because of our idiot government lot of people here would love to hunt half the stuff you do.ive hunted munty`s here and they very good sport and i.m.h.o. are the best to eat out of all the types ive tryed .do many hunters get attacked by bear or boar in your country wilst hunting them seen people on tv that say theyve been attacked and do you use dogs to hunt bear and boar then shoot them at bay or do you stalk and then shoot them.do you use terriers to hunt varmint and coon and woodchuck and such like.yours in sport fido :thumbs:

Yes, we're very lucky that hunting is Canada is not a rich mans sport. Anybody can hunt if they want to here and it's not really too hard to make connections. If you live close to the major cities it would be harder to get hunting permission but if you are persistant it will come. Out in the boonies where i live we rarely even have to ask. You just go pretty much anywhere you want. I've heard Munty is good eating. I think i'll be hunting them in the Bury St Edmunds area. I have family not too far from there so i can visit the family at the same time.

Bear hunting is not as dangerous as it may sound. They are very timid animals that would much rather avoid you than confront you. Having said that, there are people that get killed by them every couple of years but it's quite rare. We hunt them over baits. Generally i'll start baiting them two to three weeks before the season starts. They'll eat anything but sweet stuff works best. I like to use a 45gallon drum with some molasses in it. This will keep them coming back for a long time since they cant just sit there and eat it. All they can do is dip their paw into it and lick it off. This also leaves a great network of scent trails through the bush that alerts other bears of the bait. Usually when the season starts we start adding some dried dog food to the bait. Like i said, just about anything will work, this is just the way i do it because it's cheap and easy. Bears have poor eyesight but an incredibly good nose and they don't really miss too much! Baiting is really the only way to hunt them. It's hard for you to imagine but the bush in northern Ontario is huge. You could literally walk into the bush and never come out again. It could be hundreds of miles before you'd cross a road. There are guys that hunt them with hounds but it can be a real nightmare because a bear could have a very large territory. When it's pushed it could travel miles back into the bush and without a gps you'd be lost. This bush is also incredibly thick and almost impossible to penetrate for any distance. Spot and stalk is possible in areas that have been clearcut. A year or two after they've been cut the wild blueberries and raspberries are the first thing to grow. The bears love these and can be found in the open during daylight.

There are no wild boar in Canada. Lots in the US and i've hunted them and they will attack you. I shot one a couple of years ago in Texas. I made a good hit but it was still alive when i approached it. It charged me and my son. I emptied three slugs into it from my 12ga and my son hit it twice with his .270 before it dropped less then 10 feet from us! Talk about an adreniline rush!

Coyotes and Foxes are hunted with hounds. No horses or bugles involved though! lol. I have a neighbour that is big into coyotes. They generally release one hound on the trail. When it gets tired they'll catch it and put a fresh hound on the track. There'll be guys sitting in their trucks or standing at strategic places watching for the coyote. I should point out that this is in southern Ontario. Not northern where we hunt the bears. Down here the roads are laid out in a grid pattern. Each block is 1000 acres or a mile and a quarter square. It's fairly open farm land, (maise, soybeans, alfalfa) with small woodlots of anywhere to and acre to 250 acres in size. It's pretty easy to keep an eye on the hound with a good pair of binos and maybe a guy following on an Atv or snowmobile. I guess i should also mention that winter is the preferred time to chase coyotes. The fur is better and the tracking is easier. Anyway, they usually let the dog do it's thing and in some cases the dog will catch the coyote and kill it. The hounds are usually some sort of Walker hound cross. If the dog doesn't catch it they'll usually shoot it with a .223 or similar calibur at some point.

Coons are hunted at night with hounds. When they tree the coon they'll shoot it with a .22. Coons are everywhere over here. I've shot them on my back deck, off the top of my barbeque and my dog has killed them while were sitting round the camp fire! They are hated with a passion!

Woodchucks, or groundhogs as we call them are strictly spot and stalk in the summer. Lots of fun and great target practise. My son likes to give them the long distance feeling with his .270. He'll set up on our back deck with his bypod and shoot out to 400 yards or more. I can't say he's super successful at that distance but he has a great time! We'll spot for him with the binos and tell him where he's hitting and hell adjust accordingly. Groundhogs are just a fun thing, thats all.

When i figure out how to rezise pics so i can attach them i'll put some up so you can see them.

One thing i find really interesting about the way you guys do things is the dogs. Jack Russels especially. There's lots of them over here but when i tell people that they are hunting dogs nobody believes me! Over here they are strictly a lap dog. I'm really curous to know if the hunting instincts have been bread out of them over here or if they would work for hunting given the chance.

Anyway, hope i'm not boring you guys, once you get sick of hearing how i do things i'm gonna start drilling you with questions.

Catch ya later.

Terry.

Yes, we're very lucky that hunting is Canada is not a rich mans sport. Anybody can hunt if they want to here and it's not really too hard to make connections. If you live close to the major cities it would be harder to get hunting permission but if you are persistant it will come. Out in the boonies where i live we rarely even have to ask. You just go pretty much anywhere you want. I've heard Munty is good eating. I think i'll be hunting them in the Bury St Edmunds area. I have family not too far from there so i can visit the family at the same time.

Bear hunting is not as dangerous as it may sound. They are very timid animals that would much rather avoid you than confront you. Having said that, there are people that get killed by them every couple of years but it's quite rare. We hunt them over baits. Generally i'll start baiting them two to three weeks before the season starts. They'll eat anything but sweet stuff works best. I like to use a 45gallon drum with some molasses in it. This will keep them coming back for a long time since they cant just sit there and eat it. All they can do is dip their paw into it and lick it off. This also leaves a great network of scent trails through the bush that alerts other bears of the bait. Usually when the season starts we start adding some dried dog food to the bait. Like i said, just about anything will work, this is just the way i do it because it's cheap and easy. Bears have poor eyesight but an incredibly good nose and they don't really miss too much! Baiting is really the only way to hunt them. It's hard for you to imagine but the bush in northern Ontario is huge. You could literally walk into the bush and never come out again. It could be hundreds of miles before you'd cross a road. There are guys that hunt them with hounds but it can be a real nightmare because a bear could have a very large territory. When it's pushed it could travel miles back into the bush and without a gps you'd be lost. This bush is also incredibly thick and almost impossible to penetrate for any distance. Spot and stalk is possible in areas that have been clearcut. A year or two after they've been cut the wild blueberries and raspberries are the first thing to grow. The bears love these and can be found in the open during daylight.

There are no wild boar in Canada. Lots in the US and i've hunted them and they will attack you. I shot one a couple of years ago in Texas. I made a good hit but it was still alive when i approached it. It charged me and my son. I emptied three slugs into it from my 12ga and my son hit it twice with his .270 before it dropped less then 10 feet from us! Talk about an adreniline rush!

Coyotes and Foxes are hunted with hounds. No horses or bugles involved though! lol. I have a neighbour that is big into coyotes. They generally release one hound on the trail. When it gets tired they'll catch it and put a fresh hound on the track. There'll be guys sitting in their trucks or standing at strategic places watching for the coyote. I should point out that this is in southern Ontario. Not northern where we hunt the bears. Down here the roads are laid out in a grid pattern. Each block is 1000 acres or a mile and a quarter square. It's fairly open farm land, (maise, soybeans, alfalfa) with small woodlots of anywhere to and acre to 250 acres in size. It's pretty easy to keep an eye on the hound with a good pair of binos and maybe a guy following on an Atv or snowmobile. I guess i should also mention that winter is the preferred time to chase coyotes. The fur is better and the tracking is easier. Anyway, they usually let the dog do it's thing and in some cases the dog will catch the coyote and kill it. The hounds are usually some sort of Walker hound cross. If the dog doesn't catch it they'll usually shoot it with a .223 or similar calibur at some point.

Coons are hunted at night with hounds. When they tree the coon they'll shoot it with a .22. Coons are everywhere over here. I've shot them on my back deck, off the top of my barbeque and my dog has killed them while were sitting round the camp fire! They are hated with a passion!

Woodchucks, or groundhogs as we call them are strictly spot and stalk in the summer. Lots of fun and great target practise. My son likes to give them the long distance feeling with his .270. He'll set up on our back deck with his bypod and shoot out to 400 yards or more. I can't say he's super successful at that distance but he has a great time! We'll spot for him with the binos and tell him where he's hitting and hell adjust accordingly. Groundhogs are just a fun thing, thats all.

When i figure out how to rezise pics so i can attach them i'll put some up so you can see them.

One thing i find really interesting about the way you guys do things is the dogs. Jack Russels especially. There's lots of them over here but when i tell people that they are hunting dogs nobody believes me! Over here they are strictly a lap dog. I'm really curous to know if the hunting instincts have been bread out of them over here or if they would work for hunting given the chance.

Anyway, hope i'm not boring you guys, once you get sick of hearing how i do things i'm gonna start drilling you with questions.

Catch ya later.

Terry.

fecking amazing :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

sounds like you have lots of fun mate :thumbs: