Hares

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No justification to do something like this,even the worst of the worst in lurcher lads could never stoop to those standards,butchery in the name of sport.

course there would be! Rabbits are vermin pal! A hare isnt. It was the kings sport mate to run a dog on hare.. Feck me, at one time the rule was, you couldnt hunt hares on a sunday, now you can kill f

how the f**k can you not be allowed run your dog on say five hares in one day but you can shoot over 200, this country is f*****g backwards.

I like to be open minded and sit on the fence... I've coursed hares, lamped them and shot them... I normally leave them unless a farmer wants them gone, some like them around the farm, others say everything needs to be controlled... I used to get more enjoyment watching a dog course old lepus than you will ever get pulling a trigger, but one form of control is legal and much more efficient than the other, although maybe not benefical for the hare itself...

If an estate can have a shoot and take 3000 a season, theres a serious hare problem, and they need balancing out if thats arable land...

It seems harsh to lurcher lads to see this amount of hares shot, but it has to be done regardless of what anyone says. Farms cannot sustain this amount of hares and as the only LEGAL way of control is shooting that is what happens. In this quantity hares ARE vermin and without control the farm crops would be devastated, if dogs were legally allowed to course hares then I would imagine they would be having coursing days, not over a couple of days but months. I am not saying that there would be as many caught but you never know, would that still be cruel? some say that dogs should be allowed to course, I would agree I have always had lurchers for over 30 years until 4 years ago and loved watching them course especially to the lamp. But the powers that be say no, the EU pressure and feckin do gooders/antis have more say than the people who know whats what.

Please excuse my probably knife edge post, but it does not seem wrong around here, its excepted and needed.

I like to be open minded and sit on the fence... I've coursed hares, lamped them and shot them... I normally leave them unless a farmer wants them gone, some like them around the farm, others say everything needs to be controlled... I used to get more enjoyment watching a dog course old lepus than you will ever get pulling a trigger, but one form of control is legal and much more efficient than the other, although maybe not benefical for the hare itself...

If an estate can have a shoot and take 3000 a season, theres a serious hare problem, and they need balancing out if thats arable land...

It seems harsh to lurcher lads to see this amount of hares shot, but it has to be done regardless of what anyone says. Farms cannot sustain this amount of hares and as the only LEGAL way of control is shooting that is what happens. In this quantity hares ARE vermin and without control the farm crops would be devastated, if dogs were legally allowed to course hares then I would imagine they would be having coursing days, not over a couple of days but months. I am not saying that there would be as many caught but you never know, would that still be cruel? some say that dogs should be allowed to course, I would agree I have always had lurchers for over 30 years until 4 years ago and loved watching them course especially to the lamp. But the powers that be say no, the EU pressure and feckin do gooders/antis have more say than the people who know whats what.

Please excuse my probably knife edge post, but it does not seem wrong around here, its excepted and needed.

Think most will respect what your saying steve.But its still a hard pill to swallow,:thumbs:

Steve matey, i know it needs doing, just like a lot of things that are as i said before a 'necessary evil'. Any sensible person in touch with the country side will know that in some areas culling hares with the gun is needed to balance things out and protect rural industry (and the price of food etc). There will always be issues between those that see them as the ultimate quarry to test a dog and protect them for that end and those that just want them gone. But what gets to folk is when people (and i dont mean you) hold it up as a real triumph and give themselves a real pat on the back for killing a few hundred on a days driven shooting. It's got to be done, but if it doesnt at least cause you some discomfort and distaste then i honestly believe that you are no hunter/countryman at heart. You have to remember that i lad putting up 10 lamped hares would get the same kind of stick from the dog men. It is ironic that the ban on coursing has probably done more damage to the hare in this country than any other thing since the invention of the combine!

As for folk like 'Iksopener' - well what a f*****g tool. :thumbdown:

Steve matey, i know it needs doing, just like a lot of things that are as i said before a 'necessary evil'. Any sensible person in touch with the country side will know that in some areas culling hares with the gun is needed to balance things out and protect rural industry (and the price of food etc). There will always be issues between those that see them as the ultimate quarry to test a dog and protect them for that end and those that just want them gone. But what gets to folk is when people (and i dont mean you) hold it up as a real triumph and give themselves a real pat on the back for killing a few hundred on a days driven shooting. It's got to be done, but if it doesnt at least cause you some discomfort and distaste then i honestly believe that you are no hunter/countryman at heart. You have to remember that i lad putting up 10 lamped hares would get the same kind of stick from the dog men. It is ironic that the ban on coursing has probably done more damage to the hare in this country than any other thing since the invention of the combine!

Just wondering then if 50 lurchermen were asked to run these hares over the course of a week and caught 1 hare each totalling 350 hares dead........would that be acceptable... :hmm:

Just wondering then if 50 lurchermen were asked to run these hares over the course of a week and caught 1 hare each totalling 350 hares dead........would that be acceptable... :hmm:

of course :whistling:

50 x 1 = 50 (not 350). The only differences for me would be the survival of the fittest element (ensuring a healthier over all population) and the beauty of the chase. All i'm saying is that a gun to me is a tool and shooting like this is a job that needs doing that makes you feel a wee bit sick, but u get on with it and then forget about it. No issue with it being done just an issue with folk thinking they are the great white hunter for doing it. There is little skill in that kind of shooting or shooting foxes with rifle on lamp/n.v. I taught my missus to do it! lol. Fair do's if your dog has coursed and caught a decent fox on decent land then be proud. N.V/rifle combo from a truck across the other side of a field - why would you feel any 'pride' in what you done - if that makes sense?

of course :whistling:

Thoughts so........ :whistling:

50 x 1 = 50 (not 350). The only differences for me would be the survival of the fittest element (ensuring a healthier over all population) and the beauty of the chase. All i'm saying is that a gun to me is a tool and shooting like this is a job that needs doing that makes you feel a wee bit sick, but u get on with it and then forget about it. No issue with it being done just an issue with folk thinking they are the great white hunter for doing it. There is little skill in that kind of shooting or shooting foxes with rifle on lamp/n.v. I taught my missus to do it! lol. Fair do's if your dog has coursed and caught a decent fox on decent land then be proud. N.V/rifle combo from a truck across the other side of a field - why would you feel any 'pride' in what you done - if that makes sense?

:thumbs:

Its a decent question and you know fine well i ment 1 a day ffs............. :censored: But its good to see that actually the numbers mean nothing to you, you dont like shooting and its a them and us attitude once again. Never thought you were like that when reading your posts..... :thumbdown:

Infact your in a shooting syndicate aren't you........dont know why you bother as obviously there is no skill involved and you cant possibly get any enjoyment out of it...... :hmm:

50 x 1 over 7 days he meant thats 350.

Its a decent question and you know fine well i ment 1 a day ffs............. :censored: But its good to see that actually the numbers mean nothing to you, you dont like shooting and its a them and us attitude once again. Never thought you were like that when reading your posts..... :thumbdown:

Ok lab - first things first - i was joking i grasp what you mean numbers wise. Secondly - where do i say i am 'anti shooting'. You know i shoot, and you know (at least i think you do) that i help run a driven shoot. Now i have shot all my life and own several shotguns, rifles, air rifles etc. I mix with a lot more shooting folk than i do lurcher men and on the whole judge them as i find them. ALL I WAS TRYING TO SAY WAS - i accept shooting as an effective tool for the control of certain species, i am just questioning how somebody can get a thrill, enjoyment or take pride in themselves for certain kinds of shooting, when it is piss easy, a bit sickening, but needs doing. For example i have to clear a certain part of an estate of cock birds soon as the wind drops, it will be done by sticking feeders out and knocking them over with a rifle from a nice warm barn as the feed. A large number will be shot in a day probably 100 + - will i feel pride at my large bag? At my accuracy? At the kills? No way, i will feel like a bit of a shit and be to ashamed in many senses to mention it. I certainly wouldnt go about bragging about my solo 100+ bird day. Make sense to you? lets not have cross words matey!

Infact your in a shooting syndicate aren't you........dont know why you bother as obviously there is no skill involved and you cant possibly get any enjoyment out of it...... :hmm:

Just to add - in this case the numbers dont matter only because we have established that 350 hares need to be killed for 'pest control'. If this was not the case, yes i would think the lurcher men who hammered the pop day/night after day/night were scum.