running a dog on a night with no lamp

Have any of you ever run a dog in the dark? I take mine out sometimes on a full moon with no clouds. I do take a mag light to just see what he is interested in. He will let me know when he has seen something. The land is nice and flat, no barbed wire fences etc and the calmer night the better. Yes I know goes against everything we were ever taught and read. He gets a good kill rate considering it’s normally a long way off but the land where I do this is very flat and the dog knows the land very well. I like the calm nights with me not been able to see him I can hear where they are going. I know some of you are just about to slag me off for this but he is hunting naturally. When I first got the dog I would not lamp right up and only the other night slipped him on a rabbit a good 150 yards away and he nailed it. I don’t believe in making it too easy for him and it has paid off. He’s only just over 2 and is really coming into his own now taking on and off lamp both day and night

hunting in the twilight was the ways of the old poacher/gypsies etc

the dogs would run beside the wagons and would often hunt something up on the way

i often run my dogs in twilight with no lamp mostly after the lamping i let them hunt up the golf course on the way home without the lamp cos the little amount of rabbits on it are shy

but its best you and the dog knows the land well

hunting in the twilight was the ways of the old poacher/gypsies etc

the dogs would run beside the wagons and would often hunt something up on the way

i often run my dogs in twilight with no lamp mostly after the lamping i let them hunt up the golf course on the way home without the lamp cos the little amount of rabbits on it are shy

but its best you and the dog knows the land well

Cheers mate and I thought I was going to get grief for it lol. Id leave him off the lead but know he will run anything and I like to have a look at what he is after [bANNED TEXT] I let him off. There eyesight is unreal. I wont be able to see 10 ft in front of me and he will see game at about 50 100 yards away

the closest ive been to using no lamp is when i lamp deer with my old bitch i will lamp them meybe a field or so away so she can see them make sure she seen it then nock the lamp off and slip her give her time depending on distance then nock the lamp back on and 90 percent of the time shes either nailed it or shes bang on top of it shes the only dog ive ever seen that has done this and she is bang on it :yes: atb wx

the closest ive been to using no lamp is when i lamp deer with my old bitch i will lamp them meybe a field or so away so she can see them make sure she seen it then nock the lamp off and slip her give her time depending on distance then nock the lamp back on and 90 percent of the time shes either nailed it or shes bang on top of it shes the only dog ive ever seen that has done this and she is bang on it :yes: atb wx

my first ever lurcher was a saluki greyhound collie and most of her kills at night were when her target ran off the beam

i use the method your talking about with the local rabbits cos they are shy as fuk

both my dogs will do this mate,i know some dogs will never do this but a lot of it is taking dogs out 5/6 nights a week ,....also some of my best numbers have been on full moon without lamp :whistling:

was out last night with my mate, lamped in front of us but the dog was pulling to the side, so let her off and she caught the rabbit, have had the same a number of times with larger stuf, if the truth be known she is a far better hunter than me, saying that we walked up to 2 squaters and she did not see them till they moved! hunting hey,,,

YIS rob,

caut quite alot over the years without beam years ago lamps were no to brite so you worked of the beam had hares etc allsorts ,som e land suits a quick shine dog away and lamp of some times its just a walk on land that you cannot get away with lamping but it can lead to bad habits at times so you have to be on top with dog sometimes ,nothing better as tite into wood dogs are off a quick rumble dogs are on it down he goes no lamp just your eyes etc and senses