Your ferreting dogs

hi all,

i plan on taking up ferreting soon and i will be using my terrier as my canine companion, but im just abit unsure on what ferreting dogs are to do, i know they mark active warrens but once its netted up what do they do then? do they sit and wait for any bolters where holes have been missed etc or do they get them ones in the nets aswell?

sorry if this is a daft question, but ive never been before so dont have a clue lol

The problem we have on all of our permissionis that the farmers will not allow dogs of any kind due to chickens and lambs been attacked by dogs. So be carefull not to annoy the farmers straight off by mentioning your dogs get the trust of the farmer then ask about the dog. GOOD LUCK.

The problem we have on all of our permissionis that the farmers will not allow dogs of any kind due to chickens and lambs been attacked by dogs. So be carefull not to annoy the farmers straight off by mentioning your dogs get the trust of the farmer then ask about the dog. GOOD LUCK.

Sound advice a good permision is hard to win once it's one and trust is built

on good days my dog is indespensible, catching ,covering and most importantly marking. on the occasional day she is a complete twat :laugh: , Still thats because dogs are living thinking beings not just tools.

just enjoy the days you have together you will develop a bond that no pet owner can with his lap dog.On the bad days put it down to experience on the good days come on here and brag about it :thumbs:

go out with pro ferreters and pay them to show you how to do it properly save you asking silly questions and save you alot of time goimng out with real deals

surely no one would take money to show the boy what to do whin ur the one putting up posts about ejits and how is that a silly question think ur the one putting up siiy answers atb

elo ther , im currently introducing my 6mnth lurcher bitch to ferreting , she just sits and watchs at moment , learning all the time , dogs are invaluable to me when im ferreting , even now she will follow ferrets progress below ground seems to always know were they are ,when she get a bit excited i know to expect a bolting bunny imediatly.

was out sunday she learnt a very important lesson , ... dnt fxxk with the ferrets .

nice nip to the nose ouch, i couldnt believe what i then saw .. my bitch came over to ferrets with tail between her legs rolled on her back and submitted herself to them ,i think there friends now atb phil

Edited by HARPERS

Good company on a long day, find the rabbits above ground and put them below ground, find warrens in the woodland, find the hidden bolt holes at the warren, mark the warrens with rabbits in and the hole to which they are nearest, guard the holes while i'm netting up, follow the action below ground so i know where the rabbits are likely to bolt from and where the ferrets are etc,hold anything that hits a net, catch any that miss the nets or at least run them back to ground, and keep you warm while your waiting on a slow bolt. That would do it for me.

Thanks for the info everyone really appreciate it,

so would you reccomend i keep him on a leash and let him watch and learn whats going on the 1st couple of times i take him?

go out with pro ferreters and pay them to show you how to do it properly save you asking silly questions and save you alot of time goimng out with real deals

if i can find some people near me to tag along with dont worry i will, but if not im going to have to learn hence asking questions which some experienced people might think are daft, but when your from a family who doesn't hunt and none of your mates do meeting the right people can be hard hence asking on here, everyone has to start somewhere

Edited by Jordb543

i use a terrier and he marks active sets and sits back once ferrets are entered, i use a dog screw to keep him in one place and he will help out if we need to dig, i use the locator to find to spot where abouts the ferret and rabbit is then the dog and spade to the rest, and i let him sort out the stop ends! happy days! :thumbs:

hi mate

Their actions offer you an insight into whats going on below ground which can be invaluble, If your dog marks well can save a lot of wasted time also they know where the rabs gonna bolt you see their manner change as they wait for the inevitable. As the other lads have said it's a bonus if they can catch bolted rabbits which miss nets etc also they'll hold rabbits in the nets which if your dealing with one and another bolts it's a bonus. Although I don't think your questions daft at all as this is a place to comne and learn and unless you ask you'll never know, I would say, as whin said, if you can get out with someone with a bit of experiance it'll be far more use than what anyone can tell you here. ( there's a few decent lads on here from what I've seen I'm sure if your willing to get stuck in someone would help you out):thumbs:

Thanks for the info everyone really appreciate it,

so would you reccomend i keep him on a leash and let him watch and learn whats going on the 1st couple of times i take him?

if i can find some people near me to tag along with dont worry i will, but if not im going to have to learn hence asking questions which some experienced people might think are daft, but when your from a family who doesn't hunt and none of your mates do meeting the right people can be hard hence asking on here, everyone has to start somewhere

:thumbs:

Mark inhabited burrows, stay patiently out of the way while nets are being set, pin or stand over netted buns in case they throw the net, chase and hopefully catch any that escape the nets, cover areas that their human companions can't get to or can't see easily , convey through body language some idea of activities underground or if a ferret has emerged unseen , keep quiet,be obedient , stay back from the holes and keep still lest rabbits be put off bolting, react to hand signals, mark lie-ups and even assist in digging from time to time , not kill ferrets , nor bother live-stock ,nor chew-up nets or rabbits .....Oh ,it goes on. Do not emulate bunnies by hurtling into long-nets and certainly avoid running-up vet's bills...Still not covered everything ....

PS Must not mind having freezing hands stuffed in its warm armpits on cold days . :D

One day such a paragon will be mine .Until then I dream .

Luckily my little canine ferreting mates and sofa companions cheerfully accept me for the falable idiot that I am and arn't the least bit interested on listing my good and bad points on an internet hunting site !. :D: :thumbs:

Edited by comanche