still a hot area

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YET again . GOOD news to rural watch members ; as a result of a call made to north yorkshire police ,4 males from the west yorkshire area were arrested under sect

Not all lads that go lamping in motors are dicks, People have been doing it for years un noticed, treating the land, quarry and landowners property with respect. There is a minority who have created t

i have walked all my lamping years ,but in last 3 months started going with some lads in motor who dont drive through fences and open and shut gates and i got to admit for putting game in front of dog

I do both and reckon that by driving the land you could run the legs off even a really good dog. They just don't get the time to rest as they do when your walking.

When you walk and the dog catches, they retrieve it back you've then got to sort it out getting it in your bag/rucksack etc before sorting your lamp out and getting the dog back on the slip etc before you even start lamping again. Even then the dogs probably scared everything away within a few hundred yards giving the dog a bit of time to get it's tongue back in.

When you drive, the dogs out, runs, then back, you drop the rabbit in the box/drum whilst their already driving off lamping again straight away and the few hundred yards to the next rabbit is covered in probably less than 30 seconds. then the dogs over the side again.

I regularly go out with a couple of guys on their permission whilst their shooting foxes for the Keeper. They let me come along and run the dog off the back of the pickup on the rabbits and I help them with any fox that might of been wounded and needed following up.

Even when I had Roo at his fittest, he couldn't run a quarter of the rabbits they were putting in front of us in 4 hours. I know the bullx wasn't particularly bred for stamina but it was just the sheer numbers that they could get you on. By the time the dog got back in the truck they were asking if I wanted to run another.

Even if you walked a world beating dog, you still wouldn't be able to carry all the catch and would have to either take it back to the motor or stash it for collection later so constantly taking up your hunting time.

Personally I prefer to walk the land, I just like being out walking/hunting but you can't discount the effectiveness of driving to get quantity in the bag.

• 1 month later...

i love T H L its great always cheers me up when i am sad :toast:

funny thing is most these walking lads that end up going out in moter for 1st time love it and the folowing season they have sold there collie x etc(no offence to lads that use them)and bought there selves a bull x because unless your a rabbit man its the only way to TEST a dog to the max by putting TESTING ammounts of game infront of them consistently imho :thumbs:

• Like 2

funny thing is most these walking lads that end up going out in moter for 1st time love it and the folowing season they have sold there collie x etc(no offence to lads that use them)and bought there selves a bull x because unless your a rabbit man its the only way to TEST a dog to the max by putting TESTING ammounts of game infront of them consistently imho :thumbs:

I've done both but i like walking better! I watch JK on ITV to cheer me up!!!

You,ll 100% put more game in front of them when your driving the hedges but it will be 100% easier game also....i can do both on my ground ,but my preference is walking :yes:

I wouldn't say you test the dogs more. But you will put more in front of them.

Idiots not respecting the land come in all shapes, and styles, only they tend to be able to nick more, and cause more damage in a motor

• Like 1

Best time 2 walk is up and down on the pedals , see more , catch more simples !!! 2 many people no best if u reckon u can get same numbers on foot I'd believe it when I see it ..

:thumbs: Agree 100% and as for the ppl saying drive but dont rip up the land its un-avoidable if its catchable were going for it and to all you "by the book" walking lads :feck: can put more tackle in-front of the dogs in a night that most will in a month on foot SIMPLE

Nice attitude.

Its not just dog lads driving around in 4x4s anywhere they want. Lads with rifles are doing the same! Which beggars belief as I certainly wouldnt want to be caught with a rifle somwhere I shouldnt be and also its an accident waiting to happen. Either way its a bad crack to be driving where ever you want and causing a mess to our countryside. Driving stubbles and paddocks is one thing, ripping up crops is another.

• Like 1

I have had premission for driving in the past on pastures and stubbles but personally I wouldn't take my car anywhere i don't have permission, i wouldn't risk it. Nowdays most of my permission is walking only and i enjoy a good walk with the wind in your face, its a fact you will get more runs with a motor but i'll stay the right side of the law, don't want the hassle......

i havent got permision for driving land anywhere but i do most times i go out but i never smash thruogh fences or drive over crops or leave gates open or pinch owt dont tar everyone with the same brush, and i got stuck in the edge of a field at naresborough last week and the police came saw we wernt doing any damage and helped us get it out we did do a bit of blaggin though

in my opinion it's the "subaru" boy's who have made the lamping and coursing game absolutely "on top" !!! they've fecked it up for everybody, no doubt about it !!! there's no need for it.

its theiving b`stards that have fetched it on top and not to mention the ban cos more people are at it now its banned :censored:

• Like 1