greyhounds

ok there a big diffrence parading a greyhound at a track and taking it iout everyday amongst the public and everyday distractions.these dogs are certainly not in the minority.and as for your compitent dog handler quote.well all i will say to that is i have had greys around me everyday since i was born and owned my first when i was 13.my whole point was this.if you want to train a greyhound up for everyday hunting good luck to you,and in most cases you will f*****g need it.even the posts saying it can be done,i notice the key words you write in them.

wouldnt trust them! watch them near small dogs and cats.!that in itsself should make you go and get a lurcher.

However to say tyhe dogs i speak of is a minority,well i can only say you really didnt know much about the dogs you were parading.

@@internet hunter i did say there may be an exception.Oh and mywhole post was about getting ex racers as working dogs.i have no idea how old yours is or what age you got it from.as i have never tried to raise a greyhound other than racing round a track if you got them as pups and reared them,well i guess you could get them to a resonable obediance.im not knocking greyhounds love them and prob the best dogs in the world and dont regret one min i spent with mine.great placid dogs when all is calm around them.tbh i didnt actually mind when they went mental when seeing something showed they were keen as mustard.and like i said the dogs we had and we had many of them come and go over the years.The dog i speak of that bit me.she was a black bitch,and i think her soul was as dark her coat lol fastest dog i ever ownned paid a good deal for her,and she paid for herself many times.however a racing greyhound looks on its owner as a meal ticket,nithing else and will quite happily walk away with someone else no problem and not give you a second thought.more than half the dogs we had come through our kennels didnt even have names.

i got him at just under 12 months mate :thumbs: it was a gamble i admit that but its one im glad i took!! hes done alot more than i ever expected he would this season and look forward to many more with him. we have treated him just like a lurcher the same age and he has done everything we have asked of him. his feet are perfect and had no problems with him even on hard ground, you can see im pushing his back end down on the slabs but they are still nice and tight :thumbs: he is 19 months old now and has had a good first season :thumbs:

sundaystroll119-1.jpg

time will tell with your working greyhound bud,,ive tryed greyhounds,grews,from coursing stock,they are not as strong as any lurcher in my veiw,they dont last in fields bud... :whistling: just my opinion from using them :thumbs:

am sure there is some lurchers not as strong as greys as well :thumbs:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the not the smartest and can be injury prone, but get the right one and it will work as well as any lurcher

even with all the advantages from working a pure grey i wouldnt ever want to own one for just hunting, , while i was excersing them for a few years i loved every min i spent with them but at the same

well yes i would agree with that.my point i was making was about ex racers.and also i have to say ther racers who would pin another dog that came up to it,or try and break its own neck trying to break

Posted Images

ok there a big diffrence parading a greyhound at a track and taking it iout everyday amongst the public and everyday distractions.these dogs are certainly not in the minority.and as for your compitent dog handler quote.well all i will say to that is i have had greys around me everyday since i was born and owned my first when i was 13.my whole point was this.if you want to train a greyhound up for everyday hunting good luck to you,and in most cases you will f*****g need it.even the posts saying it can be done,i notice the key words you write in them.

wouldnt trust them! watch them near small dogs and cats.!that in itsself should make you go and get a lurcher.

However to say tyhe dogs i speak of is a minority,well i can only say you really didnt know much about the dogs you were parading.

@@internet hunter i did say there may be an exception.Oh and mywhole post was about getting ex racers as working dogs.i have no idea how old yours is or what age you got it from.as i have never tried to raise a greyhound other than racing round a track if you got them as pups and reared them,well i guess you could get them to a resonable obediance.im not knocking greyhounds love them and prob the best dogs in the world and dont regret one min i spent with mine.great placid dogs when all is calm around them.tbh i didnt actually mind when they went mental when seeing something showed they were keen as mustard.and like i said the dogs we had and we had many of them come and go over the years.The dog i speak of that bit me.she was a black bitch,and i think her soul was as dark her coat lol fastest dog i ever ownned paid a good deal for her,and she paid for herself many times.however a racing greyhound looks on its owner as a meal ticket,nithing else and will quite happily walk away with someone else no problem and not give you a second thought.more than half the dogs we had come through our kennels didnt even have names.

i got him at just under 12 months mate :thumbs: it was a gamble i admit that but its one im glad i took!! hes done alot more than i ever expected he would this season and look forward to many more with him. we have treated him just like a lurcher the same age and he has done everything we have asked of him. his feet are perfect and had no problems with him even on hard ground, you can see im pushing his back end down on the slabs but they are still nice and tight :thumbs: he is 19 months old now and has had a good first season :thumbs:

sundaystroll119-1.jpg

time will tell with your working greyhound bud,,ive tryed greyhounds,grews,from coursing stock,they are not as strong as any lurcher in my veiw,they dont last in fields bud... :whistling: just my opinion from using them :thumbs:

am sure there is some lurchers not as strong as greys as well :thumbs:

true but not that meany :whistling:

Guest INTERNET-HUNTER

sundaystroll119-1.jpg

i cant see how you come to that :blink: but like you said just your opinion and your entitled to it :thumbs:

IH will not have a bad word said about precious ghounds :D only thing stopping me getting one is the risk of injury as most ex tack dogs are wild other than that what more could you want :thumbs:

Bogger if you thinkin of getten 1,try a pup.I had trackers for years but never bought in an adult always pups.I reared them in a run bout 100yrds long by 30yrds wide and exercised the terriers in the field along side the hounds so the ghounds grew up with them and i often let the pups out with the terriers and never had a prob.When they grew to adulthood they wud'nt look at the terriers i think its like any other breed eg.DEERHOUND,SALUKI all in the way there reared.JMO

I done alot more than parade the greyhounds iv been brought up looking after them and helped a profesional trainer for a number of years so i know the breed aswel as the next my grandfather raced them for 60 years so im sure what i learnt from him is as much as anyone else will know.

All i can say on regards of stamina and tireing out if you think about it .... I have paraded dogs in 800 open races that have then won 2 nites later over 680 regularly now if you work it out if you slipped one of these racing greyhounds 20 times sensibly Over 20yard slips then they will be no more tired by the end of the nite than any lurcher ? If you slip any dog over long stupid distances it will tire out and obviously recovery time inbetween is a contributing factor.

I had a few of this site out last year with a pure greyhound i owned i got her at 12 months as she wasnt going round the bends within a month she was ferreting with my lakeland terrier and whippet and was catching bags of rabbits and retrieving most of them at that. I have a bitch in just now monster of a bitch 26" power house 3 year old and she walks with my 4 month old pup my mates terrier pup and my other whippets no problem at all.

Only ever had the one i needed to muzzle and it was only around other male dogs infact he only ever showed any agression at the track as that was only time he saw other males.

Also remember my mate got a bitch threw a rabbit in as it wouldnt chase had just come back of a wrist injury went in next day and she was lay in her bed with the rabbit cuddled upto her lol he took her over the feild and was game over once it moved but just shows there not all clean mad blood thursty animals.

Guest INTERNET-HUNTER

I done alot more than parade the greyhounds iv been brought up looking after them and helped a profesional trainer for a number of years so i know the breed aswel as the next my grandfather raced them for 60 years so im sure what i learnt from him is as much as anyone else will know.

All i can say on regards of stamina and tireing out if you think about it .... I have paraded dogs in 800 open races that have then won 2 nites later over 680 regularly now if you work it out if you slipped one of these racing greyhounds 20 times sensibly Over 20yard slips then they will be no more tired by the end of the nite than any lurcher ? If you slip any dog over long stupid distances it will tire out and obviously recovery time inbetween is a contributing factor.

I had a few of this site out last year with a pure greyhound i owned i got her at 12 months as she wasnt going round the bends within a month she was ferreting with my lakeland terrier and whippet and was catching bags of rabbits and retrieving most of them at that. I have a bitch in just now monster of a bitch 26" power house 3 year old and she walks with my 4 month old pup my mates terrier pup and my other whippets no problem at all.

Only ever had the one i needed to muzzle and it was only around other male dogs infact he only ever showed any agression at the track as that was only time he saw other males.

Also remember my mate got a bitch threw a rabbit in as it wouldnt chase had just come back of a wrist injury went in next day and she was lay in her bed with the rabbit cuddled upto her lol he took her over the feild and was game over once it moved but just shows there not all clean mad blood thursty animals.

spot on :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

even with all the advantages from working a pure grey i wouldnt ever want to own one for just hunting, , while i was excersing them for a few years i loved every min i spent with them but at the same time hated most of them :laugh:

had the experiences of getting bitten for not letting them go when they see big ears down the back roads, got bit a few times at the tracks aswell at a young age of 12/13 much to the delight to the old timers watching me trying to hold 3 big male greys that was very powerfull, , in my eyes you would have to have some real good land to hunt for using such an animal or just be a better dog handler than me, not a hard task at all, and i think a grey that was fetched up as a lurcher from a young age wouldnt stand the ground that we hunt,

• Like 1

I will add though that i would never own an ex racing greyhound or pure greyhound solely as a working animal as i agree there are far more suitable dogs available.

But yes they can and will work to a suitable standard but the mucking around involved weighed up with the actual amount of work youl get from the dog imo isnt worth it. If you have kennel space and want something for a bit fun alongside your other dogs then by all means give one a go.

Guest INTERNET-HUNTER

I will add though that i would never own an ex racing greyhound or pure greyhound solely as a working animal as i agree there are far more suitable dogs available.

But yes they can and will work to a suitable standard but the mucking around involved weighed up with the actual amount of work youl get from the dog imo isnt worth it. If you have kennel space and want something for a bit fun alongside your other dogs then by all means give one a go.

thats our situation mate :thumbs: :thumbs: but he is a very handy dog in his own right :victory:

sundaystroll119-1.jpg

He's a nice type :thumbs: not to big, and like you say good tight feet :thumbs: whats he bred out of?

yea i dare say with a bit of perceverance and your own words (half trained,but wouldnt trust it completely).well thats enough for me to not use it a pure greyhound.especially an ex track dog.a lot of people think there big softys and lie about the house all day,and great with people.they are,however they have a dark side,mines were never of a lead in public places.ive had to seperate many a pet dog from the jaws of my greys mouth,after running up playfully.been bitten myself on a few occasioms still have the scars,and only because a cat or small dog has ran in front of them,and they couldnt get of the lead.so they start jumping somersaults on the lead and biting the nearest thing to it,other greys or you.another time i went over to ireland for a greyhound sale,left a dog in my mates kennel.dunno what happened,possibly they saw a cat or something,but a fight broke out and end result my dog (the stranger) to the kennel was mauled to death by 3 greys.i would strongly urge anyone to stick to lurchers for hunting.there just to many probs with a pure bred greyhound.im sure there people have done it,but they will be few and far between.would be ok if you lived in the sticks and had miles of open fields and not another soul around for miles with thier pet dogs.but then there is the question of livestock.if it takes it into his head to kill a sheep or another dog,you wont stop it.

Well we agree on something.Around people the grey is freindly.But with other dogs.They will kill without any hesitation.Seen it happen a few times.:cry:

I think that brought as a pup and brought up as you would a lurcher they would be smashing on all quarry. Think about it, a pure greyhound is as fast as you can get, its undiluted and pure. Whatever you put into it (collie, bull, bedlington etc etc) waters it down and detracts from the speed. The only way of not detracting from the speed is to x it with another pure running dog (whippet for accelaration, saluki for stamina).

A retired greyhound (ex track dog) only knows straight ahead and straight lines and not for very long at a time. Its body, muscles and bones have developed to be doing that work. If trained from a pup to go round trees, over fences and to work for hours rather than minutes at a time its muscles and bones will be slightly different and it will have much better stamina.

All a sighthound really wants to do is chase and being as greys are so fast not much can get away from a properly trained, agile one with stamina.

nice dog internet hunter :thumbs:

well some good posts and food for thought.as i have never owned greyhounds for anything but the track,its good to hear others opinion,still for a mooching dog.it would always be a lurcher for me.as catcher said,ive seen my fair share of greys mauling and killing.mates dogs grabbed a yorkie terier,and pulled it apart like a f*****g cracker.wife was hysterical.guess i would have been aswell lol