cabinet Keys

Hi I am buying a second hand cabinet. what are the laws and guidelines for getting a second key cut for it? the cabinet is all good but it only has one key will this be a problem for my SGC?

You can have as many key's as you want cut! as long has no unauthorised person as access to your cabinet! A lawyer a couple of years ago had a visit from the police, he was'nt at home? the police were there to check his cabinet and security! his old mother had access to his key and told the police so!! if they wanted to check his guns a cabinet she'd get the key!

The lawyer subsequently had his cerificate revoked because an unauthorised person had access to his guns!!

Be careful with security!!

Tom

Cheers lads. just every one is telling me that you have to have two keys. worth knowing about the security aspect though. I will get another one cut, just wondering if the process was different for cabinet keys because the key cutter would effectively have access to your cabinet.

Cheers lads. just every one is telling me that you have to have two keys. worth knowing about the security aspect though. I will get another one cut, just wondering if the process was different for cabinet keys because the key cutter would effectively have access to your cabinet.

No he wouldn't, he doesn't know what the keys are for or where you live (unless you tell him) and he isn't going to keep a duplicate of every key he cuts.

I had only a slight glitch having mine done at the key cutters by Liverpool Street Station. He commented it was a key for a safe and took a blank off the wall and cut it for me just like any other. Got the wrong size shaft though but quickly put it right, just something to double check before leaving the shop.

I think I could get into a 2mm steel gun safe easily enough without the keys, it wouldn't be lockable after though.

H

I had only a slight glitch having mine done at the key cutters by Liverpool Street Station. He commented it was a key for a safe and took a blank off the wall and cut it for me just like any other. Got the wrong size shaft though but quickly put it right, just something to double check before leaving the shop.

I think I could get into a 2mm steel gun safe easily enough without the keys, it wouldn't be lockable after though.

H

True H, but they're only really designed to withstand an opportunistic attack. If someone is determined to get in then no matter how thick the steel they will. Your approach would probably require some equipment anyway, oxy-acetylene or maybe an angle grinder, not the kind of kit your average burglar carries around with him.

And Dan, I understand why he wants more keys, but what I was saying was that as long as he has a key, it's no business of the police how many he has as long as only authorised people have access to the weapons.

Most gun safes aren't "secure" keys, so getting one cut shouldn't be too much of a problem if you know a decent locksmith.