Shotgun Cartridge posession offence?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im curious about this as well, the lads left a few cartridges in my van last time we were out, if it could cause me hassle i'll drop them back sooner rather than later.

i have the same on some occasions,im a sgc holder not got firearms so what would happen if stopped and the police found some 22 and 222 rounds in my truck.

I got 3 mnths for nineteen . 22 bullets, charged with possession of a firearm :icon_redface:

im curious about this as well, the lads left a few cartridges in my van last time we were out, if it could cause me hassle i'll drop them back sooner rather than later.

i have the same on some occasions,im a sgc holder not got firearms so what would happen if stopped and the police found some 22 and 222 rounds in my truck.

I got 3 mnths for nineteen . 22 bullets, charged with possession of a firearm :icon_redface:

Well there you go....

As has been said in this thread several times. The law for shotguns and shotgun ammunition is not the same as for firearms and firearm ammunition, firearms offences are taken much more seriously.

If you have a shotgun licence or a firearms licence or even a driving licence....

It is YOUR responsibility to know the law and how it affects you. I know it can be really difficult and so much seems open to interpretation or opinion or is simply untested in court but things like "can I possess a shotgun cartridge without a licence" are laid down clearly in law in black and white, no grey, for all to see so people such as scarecrow should stop spouting crap.

blah blah even an air rifle is classed as a firearm when the police decide to charge you shotgun offences are also classed as fireams offences

Yes, but as possession of shotgun cartridges is not an offence, you can't be committing an offence by having them, firearm or otherwise.

They'd have trouble arguing them as an offensive weapon, unless they are snugly housed in a shotgun, and they're not classed as an explosive, so they might TRY to make it into an offence, but they'll fail. The only time they could make it stick is if the person possessing them is a prohibited person due to having been convicted and sentenced to a spell in prison, then possession is an offence, unless the sentence was less than three years, and more than five years has passed, in which case they are no longer a prohibited person.

i dont care what your reading on the net most of it out of date, people have been charged with haveing shotgun cartridges without holding a certificate,even companys cant transport them without being orthorised

If the above is true, can you provide me with evidence to back it up please, not hearsay or otherwise irrelevant word of mouth. The reason companys who buy and sell cartridges in bulk have to be certificated for two reasons, the first being they have to BUY them in the first place, hence needing a Shotgun Certificate, the second being the amount of propellant held inside the cases exceeds that which can be held with a Shotgun Certificate, so they have an Explosives Certificate for storage.

Exactly the point that has been made several times, possession of Section 1 ammunition without the relevant FIREARM certificate is an offence in its own right. Hence why you were charged and had a not inconsiderable sentence these days.

blah blah even an air rifle is classed as a firearm when the police decide to charge you shotgun offences are also classed as fireams offences

Depending on what you're referring to in regards to Air Rifles, they can be "Firearms" or not. Offences relating to Shotguns are dealt with under S.2 of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended), whereas Firearms offences are S.1, though i'm sure you know that.

Shotgun offences might be offences involving a firearm and dealt with by the Firearms Act, however, there is the obvious distinction between the two.

Also, on such a serious offence, it would be the Crown Prosecution service who decide to charge or not.

And on a final note, its still not an offence to be in possession of shotgun cartridges, provided they fall within the definition under S.2 of the Firearms Act, unless you are a prohibited person, no matter how much it is argued here, that is how the law stands. I'm sure I even posted a quote from the Crown Prosecution service's website quoting that it is not an offence.

Taken from

FIREARMS LAW

GUIDANCE TO THE POLICE

from the

Home Office

Chapter 2

DEFINITION AND CLASSIFICATION OF FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

iii) Shot gun cartridges

A shot gun certificate is not required to

possess or acquire shot gun cartridges

containing five or more shot, none of

which exceeds .36 inch in diameter. All

ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this

description. However, a shot gun certificate

(or firearm certificate authorising possession

of a section 1 shot gun) is normally required

to purchase shot gun cartridges. All single

bulleted ammunition, for example solid slug,

spherical ball or projectiles for birdscaring

equipment, is subject to the requirement for

a firearm certificate.

• 4 weeks later...

youd get done for posession of unlicenced ammunition all fac ammunition is entered onto a holders cert no cert and your commiting an offence

A prohibited person is not allowed any firearms ,ammunition , or replica in his or her possesion for the rest of their life, UNLESS they go to CROWN COURT and , and ONLY a judge can over turn the decision previous made in court.

what was the story on this? so if im taking a mate out lamping with a calibre that i dont have and he accidently drops one in the footwell and i find it the next day and get pulled is it a instant 3 months or would the courts take into account that you are a shooter yourself and it just happened.

intresting thread :thumbs:

what was the story on this? so if im taking a mate out lamping with a calibre that i dont have and he accidently drops one in the footwell and i find it the next day and get pulled is it a instant 3 months or would the courts take into account that you are a shooter yourself and it just happened.

intresting thread :thumbs:

Logically, and sadly logic does not always apply, your mate who dropped the bullet is responsible enough to know that he had dropped the bullet (one short) and the two of you would immediately search for it and not stop searching until you found it.

If you were unable to find it and it subsequently turned up in a police search, it would beg the question why the police are searching your vehicle (you are aggressive and rude when stopped for a traffic offence, stink of pot, or have dodgy friends...).

You may well find yourself having to defend your position in court. I cannot see any court sending you to jail for such an offence as there is a reasonable explanation - friend accidentally dropped bullet which was legally held, searched but failed to find, assumed lost, very sorry will try harder next time - it happens.

I dropped a .22 in the back of my Discovery and it rolled through the only tiny hole in the rear floor space. I tried everything to find it but it would be a major dismantling job to find it and even then I would probably fail to locate it. I feel bad about it but recovery is effectively impossible without serious work with an angle grinder. I dropped one in a field once and took ages to find it in the grass, in fact the whole clip fell out once and I had to trace my steps back to find that - it is surprising how easy it is to eject a live round if things get jammed.

i think im safe from police searches on my motor as they would need a long line of vaccinations to go anywhere near the footwell lol

stating the obvious here but i find it a real piss take that lads get sent down for an accident and to be fair are into shooting/fieldsports themselves so have more knowledge on the rounds then the scroats on the street who would probably get a smacked wrist.

i think im safe from police searches on my motor as they would need a long line of vaccinations to go anywhere near the footwell lol

stating the obvious here but i find it a real piss take that lads get sent down for an accident and to be fair are into shooting/fieldsports themselves so have more knowledge on the rounds then the scroats on the street who would probably get a smacked wrist.

A firearms offence is a firearms offence, even if it is an offence by omission (he dropped the rounds and didn't realise it)

If a scrote on the street managed to get hold of some live ammunition, and then was caught with it, he would definitely be looking at some prison time, same as anyone else would. Firearms offences are almost always prosecuted. That's why it's important to make sure you have your FAC and/or SGC with you when out with guns. If you are in possession, and don't have the paperwork to prove that you are in possession legally, then that is classed as effectively not having the legal right to be in possession, with the same penalties.

I have to say that when I'm out with the rifles or shotgun, I don't actually carry the certificate with me. It lives in the locked glove box in the car. I can't see them doing me for possession without a cert when the paperwork is only a few hundred metres away and I can show them it.