Shotgun Cartridge posession offence?

im curious about this as well, the lads left a few cartridges in my van last time we were out, if it could cause me hassle i'll drop them back sooner rather than later.

i have the same on some occasions,im a sgc holder not got firearms so what would happen if stopped and the police found some 22 and 222 rounds in my truck.

As said, Firearms and their Ammunition is an entirely different matter and possessing Section 1 ammunition is an offence in its own right.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even one .22LR rolling round on the floor could easily have you up on a charge of possession without legal authority. That carries a heavy sentence, though you'd need to have annoyed the copper for him to do you for a single round of .22. He'd probably be VERY interested in the names of the people who are leaving sec. 1 ammunition lying around though. If it were a CF then you'd very likely be facing a possession charge.

• 2 weeks later...

hello gunners,

i have a question for all you experts out there on gun laws?

here it is: a fac holder gets a variation for a section 1 12g bolt action shotgun(detachable magazine) for vermin work(corvids ground game etc), they only want to use ordinary shotgun cartridges...sixes or bb and no.1's for fox/cub work etc.

its SHOTGUN ammo for in a FIREARM-does the 'ammo' go on the fac? can they but shotgun ammo with an fac?(since the 12g is on their fac) OR do they have to apply for a shotgun certificate to buy shotgun ammo for their section 1 shotgun?

talk?

That's an interesting one. I would imagine that most who hold a section one shotgun will probably hold an SGC first, so this obviously removes the problem. However, for the rare incidence when someone has a section 1 and not an SGC, I'm not aware of any specific specifications.

I know that an FAC with a certain calibre on it allows you to purchase ammunition for that calibre, up to the prescribed limit, but I don't know whether shotgun ammunition for a S1 shotgun is entered on the certificate. I wouldn't have thought so, as there is no control on shotgun certificates once they are purchased, and anyone can possess them.

I would imagine that an RFD would sell you shotgun shells if you can show them an FAC with a section one shotgun entered on it. I will ask mine next time I'm in there!

just a bit i forgot to mention for 'comparison' purposes?

section 1 airguns i do have one and there is no limit or any reference on my fac about buying pellets.

same scenario?

as you say its interesting and a 'crossover' issue between fac and shotgun certificate

to be continued..........

It's not really comparable, as there is no restriction on the purchase of air rifle pellets (other than age and not being a prohibited person).

section 1 airguns i do have one and there is no limit or any reference on my fac about buying pellets.

same scenario?

as you say its interesting and a 'crossover' issue between fac and shotgun certificate

It's not really comparable, as there is no restriction on the purchase of air rifle pellets (other than age and not being a prohibited person).

same scenario?

the comparison i am talking about is there is no restriction on amount etc on fac entry for ammo and purchase/hold an amount

It worries me that the coppers you mentioned aren't familiar with the law! :o

It's difficult for the dedicated shooter to remember all the laws, and firearms law is a very small part of what they have to deal with, so you can't really blame them for being a little uncertain!

ok for one you are not allowed any type of live ammunition unless you have a certificate to cover that type of ammunition the only thing you can have is a blank bullet or cartridge that is shorter than two inch, going clay shooting or going to a rifle club the person in charge should make sure you hand over any un spent rounds of ammunition, the law keeps getting changed all the time thats why no single person can keep up to date with the rules

ok for one you are not allowed any type of live ammunition unless you have a certificate to cover that type of ammunition the only thing you can have is a blank bullet or cartridge that is shorter than two inch, going clay shooting or going to a rifle club the person in charge should make sure you hand over any un spent rounds of ammunition, the law keeps getting changed all the time thats why no single person can keep up to date with the rules

Not true scarecrow.

You can hold ammunition for obsolete calibres without a cert. And you can hold shotgun cartridges without any certificate, you just can't buy them!

Sorry Scarecrow you are wrong. Where on earth did you dig up that information.

There is so much misinformation put about that it can take on an air of truth. Always go back to source. Even the police often get it wrong.

A bit of digging around on the internet and you can download copies of documents such as:

"Firearms Law - Guidance to the Police"

"Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988"

"Firearms Security Handbook"

BASC have loads of interesting leaflets - "BASC - Police Cautions" is worth a read!

Search and ye shall find...

I have a sec 1 shotgun and no restrictions are placed on your cert for ammunition infact it makes no mention of shotgun ammo at all showing your fac at a shop is sufficient to buy any amount :thumbs:

thanks thats what i was wanting to hear someone who has the paper and the hardware and knows what i was on about.

just one of those rare things that only crops up when you decide you are going to do it!

always amazes me though how many experts there are per acre in the shooting world!-it needs some kind of spray developing to keep them down!

hah ha!

'age is a current which flows in one direction-until the battery goes flat'

thanks again for the posting....droo