how young can u start to work a jack russel on rats

Guest matt49

iv got a young j r whats the best age to show him a rat?

I get mine to start baying at them in a cage around 12-14 weeks!

The eager ones are more than capable of killing a half grown rat at around 14-15 weeks (sometimes even younger).

It's a good way of sorting the men from the boys at a very early age.

Edited by Milgi
  • Like 2

The eager ones are more than capable of killing a half grown rat at around 14-15 weeks (sometimes even younger).

you being serious mate

• Like 1

you being serious mate

100% serious - I think that if they're prepared to have a go at a small/young rat at that sort of age then they usually have the attitude for work as adults.

Once they've show an interest they obviously then need careful nurturing and holding back and only given opportunities to gain further experience when they're ready.

Just my opinion mate - no hard and fast rules but it works for me. I have used this method for years to select pups that I'm going to keep or sell.

kind of disagree.wouldnt judge 14 week old pup on a half grown long tail scrapping for its life,seen good terriers shying off them after a long day.if it killed it at that age fair do's but i personaly wouldnt judge it. just my opinion mate. sounds like you keep your pups for a long time mate 3-4 months old before you get rid wish i had patience like that.

kind of disagree.wouldnt judge 14 week old pup on a half grown long tail scrapping for its life,seen good terriers shying off them after a long day.if it killed it at that age fair do's but i personaly wouldnt judge it. just my opinion mate. sounds like you keep your pups for a long time mate 3-4 months old before you get rid wish i had patience like that.

I agree mate - I wouldn't just let a 12-14 week pup have a go at a half grown rat from cold.

I'm sure that you'd agree though that some half grown rats are feistier than others - its just a case of judging the situation!

The first rat for any pup would be a really small one - just bigger than a mouse, if possible.

They see the rat in a trap first then if they're really keen to get at it then they get an opportunity.

If a pup any older than 4-5 months shows no interest to even bay at a rat after a good few go's then it really doesn't bode well.

I try to keep my pups as long as possible to make sure that I'm keeping the very best.

;-)

yes mate.thought u meant throw it a game half grown rat.mine get same size a gerbil and run as fast as a gerbil????? and yes if at 5months its seen few and doesnt like it then it prob aint gonna be worth a great deal-not as a working or sporting dog anyway.

Edited by cockerill424