foot beagles

a mate of mine would like to set up his own pack of foot beagles, what is involved? he was offered 3 foot beagles and 1 ordinary beagle they are all 11mths, have never seen any work or had any training, are they suitable, they were all reared together and are all males.

i personally think its one of his madder schemes but all constructive opinions are welcome

I hope he has some patience hes in for a rough ride and will probably pul his hair out :laugh:

doubt it, im the patient one, ive never trained a beagle though so im about about as much use to him as tits are to a bull! :laugh:

theyll get you fit anyway

How does he intend to hunt them, is he going to use them as beating dogs to beat cover for guns or is he going to actually hunt them as a pack across country? If he is going to hunt them as a pack he should get a couple of old experienced dogs who will come back to a call or to a horn, as they will bring the young dogs on. If the young dogs are reasonably well bred you will not actually have to train them to hunt as instinct will do that, you need to train them to behave around livestock, return to a call, listen to you when you cast them and not to hunt everything that happens to cross their path be it a cat, a rabbit or a horse. If you have a few old hounds who will behave correctly it is surprising how quickly the young ones will pick up what to do of the older ones.

By the way what do you mean by he was offered three foot beagles and an ordinary beagle? whats the difference? Was he offered three beagle pups and a harrier pup?

How does he intend to hunt them, is he going to use them as beating dogs to beat cover for guns or is he going to actually hunt them as a pack across country? If he is going to hunt them as a pack he should get a couple of old experienced dogs who will come back to a call or to a horn, as they will bring the young dogs on. If the young dogs are reasonably well bred you will not actually have to train them to hunt as instinct will do that, you need to train them to behave around livestock, return to a call, listen to you when you cast them and not to hunt everything that happens to cross their path be it a cat, a rabbit or a horse. If you have a few old hounds who will behave correctly it is surprising how quickly the young ones will pick up what to do of the older ones.

By the way what do you mean by he was offered three foot beagles and an ordinary beagle? whats the difference? Was he offered three beagle pups and a harrier pup?

3 small racy beagle types with a dash of something else in the mix (real ugly things 1 lemon+white, 2 brown + tan), and a tricolour beagle that isnt kc type but according to its previous owner came from working stock.

A beagle is a beagle! :laugh: In my experience the only obvious split in the breed is working hounds and show pets.

Unless your friend has a very decent understanding of hounds, how they work and how you work them ........................ I'd say it'd be a very bad idea! :yes:

dont know what experience he has, just went with him last night to view the dogs and was curious myself what will be involved in him setting up a small pack.

as for beagle names etc, i heard so many names thrown about last night regarding beagles, i was a touch confused.... considering that its one of the few breeds ive never had any dealings with.

A beagle is a beagle! :laugh: In my experience the only obvious split in the breed is working hounds and show pets.

Unless your friend has a very decent understanding of hounds, how they work and how you work them ........................ I'd say it'd be a very bad idea! :yes:

You've never been to Co. Kerry then :whistling: Theres nowt queer as folk :11:

Edited to add: I'd advise your mate to serve his apprenticeship first. ie. Go out with a few packs, see and learn the craic and all thats goes with it. Then decide if he has the time and most of all enjoys working hounds. Too many muppets jumping in feet first these days thinking they'll be the next John Peel. Next thing the only things the hounds are seeing is concrete walls.

By the sounds of it your mate hasnt a real notion and would be better starting at the bottom instead of the top! Best of luck to him and though and hope he makes the right decision.

Edited by dEs

just been talking to him, hes leaving them as he only really liked one of them in the first place and the seller wont split them up!

saw some airedale x labs there as well 6mths old :icon_eek: looked like heavy set black airedales

think that fella is gonna be stuck with them :laugh:

as for setting up his own pack of 3-5 hounds hes now looking at kerry beagles.... theres no talking to him!

he told me he used to go out with the local hunt. this is just something hes wanted to do for years apparently!

he hunts regularly with his lurchers as well. i'll let you know if and when he goes ahead with it!

there are sum dic heads on here there no diffence between foot beagles and beagles used for huntin hares there all hunted on foot

wat aload of shit

Hello dic head, that is a useful contribution. For your information in some parts of Ireland the native foot harrier, the Kerry Beagle, is often called a beagles and standard beagles are refered to as foot beagles, hence my question. Now, you have learned something today, probably for the first time in a long while. A word of advice, keep your opinions to yourself if you do not know the full picture behind other peoples conversation.

CarraghsGem

Is your friend in Ireland? I hunt a footpack on the Monaghan/Fermanagh border. He really should see a foot pack in action and see how to handle hounds before getting his own pack. He would also neeed to be careful about buying hounds at any time and even more so at this time of year as coming to the end of the season a lot of lads will be trying to get rid of anything a bit dodgy before the summer so there will be a lot of dirt for sale. Let me know what part of Ireland he is in and I might be able to put him in contact with a pack. If he proves his interest most packs will pass him on a pup for free and he would have no need to buy a hound.