What budget air rifle for bunnies?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn’t bother chatting to him anymore Andy if I was you pal.   He is determined to be the hero he thinks that he is.   A “champion of the underdogs at the cheaper end of the market†as he

Hi jengledow and welcome to the section mate.   You'll be much better served looking in the second hand sections for a top name spring rifle that WILL perform and give you a lifetime of faithful ser

Hi all   I think/know Andy is makeing a good few points hear.   i went to a trade show at the end of last year and the amount of Hatsan/Noric rifles that flooded onto the market was untrue, and si

Posted Images

hello matey, welcome to the forum. the same question comes up alot mate and the same answers everytime. aatx200 various HW springers. i would advise these myslef as a first option but as its been coverd, i would check out a springer by edgar brothers. my local gunshop is selling loads of them as a combo, rifle slip and a half decent scope for £160. i agree with the buy cheap buy twice but there is a lot of snobbery, these guns mate are built to last, as for accuracy the gunsmith swares buy them but i cant say as i havent used one. be interesting to read a review if anyone has got one? i dont know the model mate but could find it out for you. ATB lad :thumbs:

You have got enough for a brand new Hatsan Model 60 S or 55 S and a scope, they are good guns, I have one, full powered, reliable, well built and looks nice too...

Hatsan are probably about the best of the cheaper new stuff but they're still not a patch on a good quality used rifle.

If you buy a cheap gun new, you'll probably want to 'up grade' at some point in the fairly near future and you'll loose cash when you part-ex, sell, whatever.

A used gun's already suffered depreciation so if you buy well and look after what you've bought, it'll always be worth pretty much what you've paid for it.

Cheers :thumbs:

But the Hatsan is well made and is a gun you can keep! I have one and speak from experience. I only went for a Stingray as I wanted a .177 and I got a stonking good deal on it! It is not the lightest beast on the market admittedly but with a new gun you get the comfort of a guarantee and the thought that you are not buying someone elses problems! The Hatsan is easy to use, has a good safety catch (nice large bear trap, not some fiddling tiny flip switch) and a nice trigger too. Try one out somewhere!

You have got enough for a brand new Hatsan Model 60 S or 55 S and a scope, they are good guns, I have one, full powered, reliable, well built and looks nice too...

Hatsan are probably about the best of the cheaper new stuff but they're still not a patch on a good quality used rifle.

If you buy a cheap gun new, you'll probably want to 'up grade' at some point in the fairly near future and you'll loose cash when you part-ex, sell, whatever.

A used gun's already suffered depreciation so if you buy well and look after what you've bought, it'll always be worth pretty much what you've paid for it.

Cheers :thumbs:

But the Hatsan is well made and is a gun you can keep! I have one and speak from experience. I only went for a Stingray as I wanted a .177 and I got a stonking good deal on it! It is not the lightest beast on the market admittedly but with a new gun you get the comfort of a guarantee and the thought that you are not buying someone elses problems! The Hatsan is easy to use, has a good safety catch (nice large bear trap, not some fiddling tiny flip switch) and a nice trigger too. Try one out somewhere!

I understand what you and some of the other lads are saying 100%, mate :thumbs:

It's just something we'll have to agree to differ on. I agree that some folks prefer new to used and I totally understand that but realisticly what's the worst that's likely to go wrong with a used quality gun? Maybe a service kit that'll cost around £25 for a DIY fit (most springer's are a doddle to work on) or around £45 to have it fitted by a pro.

Sure, you can buy a new combo for under £200 but for that amount you could buy used what someone's paid at least twice that for.

Each to their own....

Cheers.

Edit.... I really can't spell today.... :icon_redface:

Edited by andyfr1968

hello matey, welcome to the forum. the same question comes up alot mate and the same answers everytime. aatx200 various HW springers. i would advise these myslef as a first option but as its been coverd, i would check out a springer by edgar brothers. my local gunshop is selling loads of them as a combo, rifle slip and a half decent scope for £160. i agree with the buy cheap buy twice but there is a lot of snobbery, these guns mate are built to last, as for accuracy the gunsmith swares buy them but i cant say as i havent used one. be interesting to read a review if anyone has got one? i dont know the model mate but could find it out for you. ATB lad :thumbs:

I did a Hatsan 60S review, Hatsan are the air rifles that are sold under the Edgar Brothers brand in the UK. My review is on the 60S and is under the review section on this site! Honest!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I’m going to do a bit more research into second hand Weihrauch and AirArms and might just have to increase my budget a bit to get something a bit better (I just need to get it past the wife!!).

Monkey 2011: Thanks that looks like a great offer, but I don’t want to rush into anything and will hold off for now until I know a little more about what I’m looking at.

One other question: How important is fit with rifles? I’m 6’2†and have had to extend my shotgun stock, will I need to do similar with a rifle?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I’m going to do a bit more research into second hand Weihrauch and AirArms and might just have to increase my budget a bit to get something a bit better (I just need to get it past the wife!!).

Monkey 2011: Thanks that looks like a great offer, but I don’t want to rush into anything and will hold off for now until I know a little more about what I’m looking at.

One other question: How important is fit with rifles? I’m 6’2” and have had to extend my shotgun stock, will I need to do similar with a rifle?

You will find some Weirauch stocks very short then, I am only 5' 8" and the shop that sold my Stingray to me had a second user Weirauch underlever, I tried it, the stock was short and my bleeding arm had to fold in half to fire it! If you buy your gun from a good gun shop they would be able to fit a new stock to anything (just try various rifles for fit first in a general idea). The Weirauch I tried also had a hair trigger, if a gnat farted on it it would fire. I know you can adjust them but I did not like it so went with what I know.

Edited by secretagentmole

Hello mate,

I think that if you are looking at spending 200 quid, that hw77 that monkey 2011 has got for sale looks well worth the coin I have owned one for the last couple of years and It has never let me down once, I still really enjoy using it even after I bought my pcp.

ATB with the search

That's the point of this web site, people can exchange views and information. As a Hatsan 60S owner I think I can give an informed opinion of them. Gun shops love them and there are a great number in use on the field, saying that there are probably more Westlake B2s than Hatsans! It all depends if the OP wants a new gun or a secondhand gun. I assumed they wanted new and offered an informed opinion on a gun that I own. But keep your eyes open and who knows what you can get!

I did a Hatsan 60S review, Hatsan are the air rifles that are sold under the Edgar Brothers brand in the UK. My review is on the 60S and is under the review section on this site! Honest!

thanks for that mate i will have a read! this is probably the air rifle im thinkin of.. im not looking to buy 1 but im intrigued because our gunsmith was well impressed by them. and it felt solid to me. and for 160 notes with scope and slip i was baffled. but thanks matey atb :thumbs:

One other question: How important is fit with rifles? I’m 6’2†and have had to extend my shotgun stock, will I need to do similar with a rifle?

I'm 6'2" as well and have a fairly long reach.

I've either owned or used pretty much all of the HW springers and I've never found a problem with the stock length, maybe the one that SEM tried had been shortened by someone because they are most definatley not like that as standard.

Fit is important but not to the same extent as a shotgun, the best thing to do is try to handle as many types of gun as you can as it's a very personal thing.

Cheers.

Update on bunny killers, got permission to do some rabbit shooting today, the wife does not want to go and lay down in the dirt with her Diana 280 .177, so is in the same situation. Rang a gun dealer and he recommended the Hatsan 60S, which he was doing with a Hawke 3-9x40 scope and mounts for under £130. She likes the weight and feel of mine so that is what she is going for! So 2 Hatsans now. At least it will be easy to tell them apart, hers will have the Truglo fibre optics on it and mine will not lol!

Quote: "Sorry to sound like a gun snob but, given the power of the Law, I would ban a lot of Noricas, certain SMKs and Gamos from being used as hunting rifles. Poor, stiff-as-hell triggers that either pull your shot off target completely, or cause a nasty body wound and suffering. Cheap builds and parts that fall apart or fail during prolonged shooting sessions. I consider myself a decent air rifle shot and I wouldn't touch a cheap budget gun for hunting in a million years."

I have 2 Weihrauchs - an HW95 and an HW50S both are excellent shooters. But I also have a tuned Gamo Whisper X which is a very good air rifle easily capable of consistently hitting inside a one inch kill zone at 35 yards. Mine has accounted for many feral pigeons, rock doves and the occasional duck (there are no rabbits and squirrels where I live unfortunately). I have just sold a BSA Meteor Mk6 which is basically a Gamo; it could put pellet on pellet at 25 metres. A mate of mine has a Norica and having seen it in action I rate it just as highly as my Whisper X.

Simon obviously loves his Weihrauchs and who could blame him but some of the "lesser" brands, given a bit of TLC and maybe a few mods can make excellent hunting air rifles easily capable of putting pellet on pellet inside a one inch kill zone at 30+ yards. The great thing about air gun forums, to me, is that they encourage diversity of opinion based on our differing experiences. Long may diversity continue.

Good shooting and have fun.

Chris

Update on bunny killers, got permission to do some rabbit shooting today, the wife does not want to go and lay down in the dirt with her Diana 280 .177, so is in the same situation. Rang a gun dealer and he recommended the Hatsan 60S, which he was doing with a Hawke 3-9x40 scope and mounts for under £130. She likes the weight and feel of mine so that is what she is going for! So 2 Hatsans now. At least it will be easy to tell them apart, hers will have the Truglo fibre optics on it and mine will not lol!

Doesn't anyone on this site care for BSA's?

I bought a second hand Supersport for £20 that was new in 1988.Plenty powerful and acurate too I've shot loads of Ferals and squirrels round the Stable area and, as a favour to the local Vic, Ferals roosting around the Church. Regards. J.H.S.