What budget air rifle for bunnies?

Si

I do not know what damned trigger it was, all I know is that I did not like it, that is why I did not buy it, also I did not like the balance of the gun, it cocked fine, that mechanism was beautiful, but the RFD acknowledged that the gun had a hair trigger! The damned stock was short, I had to pull my neck back to sight up! I was there I held the gun and I fired it, several times before I made my decision that I could not live with that gun! It was my money, my decision and my opinion.

I have a good opinion of the quattro trigger and find it shoots very well. It is not a hair trigger and it does not require a great amount of strength to pull. It fires easily but has a good balance. If I experienced the Rekkord trigger and it was broken I am sorry, but if I find a gun in an RFD shop I expect it to be ready for sale if it is on the rack, as this one was. As far as I am concerned the trigger unit on the gun I fired was too damned sensitive to be used in an effective manner by myself. The power was no different to the Hatsan and Webley I use.

If the Rekkord trigger was not broken then as I far as I am concerned it is a heap of crap, things that are a heap of crap can win awards, look at the ruddy abomination that was the Fiat Strada! I stated things as I found them and no more. I do not know which gun it was, I believe it was a 97, but if I do not buy something I dont remember what it was I did not buy, why bother? The stock was short, I thought it was short, as did my wife, neither of us like the way it made the gun feel, it felt unbalanced to me! I am not making statements just to fit in or I would have been brown nosing all you boys and pretending I had a Theoben and never putting a photo up! I just state the case for the cheaper end of the market.

If you actually read my post you would have noticed that I said that the gun I tried has a hair trigger and I felt the stock was to short for me, note the important words there, for me! Me being the most important bit of that statement. it was about the gun and how I felt about it.

I know it is important when hunting to have a gun you feel comfortable with, can use and has the desired result. All of which is capable with a Hatsan, HW, Weihrauch, Theoben, SMK, Air Arms, even a Westlake pistol (the rat was stuck to the glue trap well I must admit on that one). My opinions are from somebody who has hunted with a 1970s BSA in the 1980s. I have taken over 40 bunnies with that (admittedly over a range of about 30 yards, shooting from under beach houses down North Beach at Heacham, in the good old days before all the new laws came in, I was being paid on a tail count too as the little swines were tunneling under the houses and causing foundation problems).

If people feel happy to recommend something you see as crap don't jump in with your damned waders on as the water may be deep enough to drown you. Until the time you are at my side to inform me as to the best of your knowledge on guns don't tell me what it was I saw, how good it was or how brilliant it must have been. It was significant enough to make no impression other than it ws an HW, underlever. If it was good to me I would have bought it. I have tried a secondhand HW and found it to be no use to me (remember that is to me).

I do not want people like you with the expensive guns to try and dissuade people from starting with a cheaper, new weapon. If it is not to your taste try another bag of crisps. But please, try and read what people write, otherwise you can look a fool.

By the way my wife has been shooting with a top end Beretta under and over 12 bore since her late teens, she tried the HW and said it was not me, it was unbalanced and had a short stock too. So I am not talking out of what I sit on. Perhaps a custom stock had been fitted, but I would expect any decent RFD to note this on the label tied to the gun! Her air weapons are a Diana T06 and a Hatsan 60S.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn’t bother chatting to him anymore Andy if I was you pal.   He is determined to be the hero he thinks that he is.   A “champion of the underdogs at the cheaper end of the market†as he

Hi jengledow and welcome to the section mate.   You'll be much better served looking in the second hand sections for a top name spring rifle that WILL perform and give you a lifetime of faithful ser

Hi all   I think/know Andy is makeing a good few points hear.   i went to a trade show at the end of last year and the amount of Hatsan/Noric rifles that flooded onto the market was untrue, and si

Posted Images

Yawn yawn Mole,

You’re making excuses and boring me now.

Fine triggers get adjusted that’s what they are used and designed for, maybe the rifle didn’t feel right to you and that’s fair enough I take your point there.

The rifle not being well balanced is utter crap though. Don’t you think Weihrauch would have cottoned on to that fact over 20 odd years ago?

I personally don’t ever try and disgruntle lads and lasses from buying a cheaper rifle, if that’s what they really want then that’s fine by me and don’t loose any thing or sleep about it. I just give them the best advice when they ask. In your favourite fashion Mole “When they ask for it is the key wordsâ€

Ummm lets ask the question now!

Hatsat / SMK or HW / AA for quality, accuracy, build, trigger and consistency?

Now let me think???? This is a hard one to answer.

My rifles aren’t that expensive either, there hunting tools not AGW art pieces that sit in a cabinet and my r10 as probably seen more action in dirty smelly places than you can ever image.

You’re a newbie with 89 odd posts that knows sh-t and is trying to discredit me as a person by making out I only advise expensive rifles. “rubbishâ€. I advise what is best when they ask.

Say what you want in reply as I won’t answer you anymore as you’re an arm chair AGW reader with about as much shooting experience as my 9 years old son.

Now bore off.

Andyfr, the comparison of new Skoda to old Beemer is not quite the same thing. A brand new Skoda is well built, economical and VERY good value for money. The used BMW is likely to have been abused and thrashed, and is likely to fall to pieces in short order. Remember, Skoda are manufactured on the same lines, by the same people using the same machines and materials as modern VW's. They may once have been bags of s###e, but no longer.

The comparison of a new cheap springer, in comparison to a second hand quality rifle is very different. A good springer is likely to be well looked after, and they are very simple so easy to make good again if they fail. Whilst it IS possible to make a "silk ourse out of a sows ear" with the cheap springers, a second hand HW or AA will hold its value and be a joy to own and shoot!

Fair comment, Matt, the car analogy probably wasn't the best but you know what I mean :thumbs:

I gusss I was falling back on cliche's from way back, I must be showing my age... :icon_redface:

What car do you drive, BTW....? :laugh::D

Cheers :thumbs:

What the hell is AGW? I could think you are an AGW, but seeing as you have a 9 year old son you must have given up at least for one day. Once again you cannot be bothered to read the post and just put on about me being a bore...

I said perhaps the stock had been Modified, read that word? Modified? If you do not know what it means perhaps you should stop buying magazines and invest in a dictionary. I have been shooting for years, but when I lived in Nottingham I gave up as I did not get much chance to find permissions or get into the countryside. I am a late returner to the sport, I have been shooting air rifles since I was 8, I have been fishing since I was 3, I have netted, trawled, long lined, ferreted, beaten and shot with air rifles. I used to do indoor range shooting with .22 rim fire rifles.

You cannot admit defeat, you cannot admit that perhaps this HW had been modified, had a hair trigger and was generally not the gun it should have been which is why some one with knowledge about weaponry decided not to buy it! At the end of the day it is horses for courses, and some people will prefer to shoot at rabbits with a cheaper gun than you think appropriate. I know the Hatsan has the power and accuracy to kill, if you have never tried it do not knock it! The HW has, but the trigger on the one I tried was a hair trigger with no discernible second stage. I do not like that in a gun, so I did not buy it, the Hatsan has a lovely trigger that is a real peach to fire, lovely second stage and easy pull, meaning no movement, I like it!

i remember 14 years ago (i was 12 when i had it if i remember right) i bought an air rifle called a b45? - 12 shot finger indexing rotary mag pumped it 7 times and ready to go, had it years. i had it checked at 11 + and was accurate to an inch out to 35 yards with accupells. i had clean kills with this to 30 yards but never tried beyond but sure it could have. it cost me £65 with a 4X20 scope from a gun shop. this was the start for me but always checked power and accuracy before pushing the distance :thumbs:

Andyfr, the comparison of new Skoda to old Beemer is not quite the same thing. A brand new Skoda is well built, economical and VERY good value for money. The used BMW is likely to have been abused and thrashed, and is likely to fall to pieces in short order. Remember, Skoda are manufactured on the same lines, by the same people using the same machines and materials as modern VW's. They may once have been bags of s###e, but no longer.

The comparison of a new cheap springer, in comparison to a second hand quality rifle is very different. A good springer is likely to be well looked after, and they are very simple so easy to make good again if they fail. Whilst it IS possible to make a "silk ourse out of a sows ear" with the cheap springers, a second hand HW or AA will hold its value and be a joy to own and shoot!

Fair comment, Matt, the car analogy probably wasn't the best but you know what I mean :thumbs:

I gusss I was falling back on cliche's from way back, I must be showing my age... :icon_redface:

:toast::toast::thumbs:

This post is rising to new levels of irony, the wife drives a Skoda Octavia turbo diesel!

I have motorbikes...

Now how can I put this without sounding rude....?? :hmm:

Sod it, I can't.

Mole, you are giving folks advice on a subject you clearly know feck all about and I think that's bang out of order :thumbdown: Very bad manners IMO.

If you ever reach the point where you can give some sensible advice based on proper experience then please feel free to pitch in but until you reach that point, keep your inexperienced ramblings to yourself.

Now run along and polish your Hatsan :bye:

I've never read such consistant bollox on this part of the forum.

Edited by andyfr1968

This post is rising to new levels of irony, the wife drives a Skoda Octavia turbo diesel!

I have motorbikes...

Motorbikes???

Let me guess...... A CX500 and you think all modern bikes are rubbish 'cos you once sat on one in a shop and it felt a bit funny....

Tosser.

Andy, I attempted to buy a secondhand HW. I will write this slowly so all you people who buy expensive guns solely on their reputation can read and understand.

1) The trigger was sensitive to the extent there was no discernible second stage. This I thought was dangerous and meant I could not get an accurate shot!

2) The stock I found uncomfortably short, meaning my right arm was nearly vertical if shooting from a standing position. It also made the gun very barrel heavy, it created an unbalanced gun. This may have been done after it had been sold. I do not know, as a late returner to the sport I cannot say that this is a typical HW stock or a modified one, just that this gun was unsuitable for me (average man 5 foot 8 inches tall).

3) I have owned a Hatsan 60S for 2 years, found it very reliable on the range and now I am venturing into the world of shooting vermin again.

4) The quattro trigger on the Hatsan I find an aid to good shooting, it is a lovely trigger with a very good second stage.

5) The gun is nicely balanced with a stock size I find comfortable, I did not like the distinct lack of checkering on the HW stock, I like something to give me a bit of grip with, makes the gun more stable!

I am not talking spherical objects, I am giving advice on the suitability of the 60S for vermin killing. This gun is quite happy to do this. It is competitively priced. I think it is nice and balanced, as does my wife who has experience of shooting with weapons with a damned sight more power. Perhaps you lot are high priced bores? Somebody who asks for advice on a cheap weapon can expect to be told about cheaper guns as well as some else's traded in problem guns! Perhaps you have not tried a Hatsan in which case I feel sorry for you! They are genuinely good guns. Perhaps you feel there is no room for someone who champions the underdogs at the cheaper end of the market, in which case you have a problem, not me!

I've no proplem at all with cheaper rifles what I do have a problem with is folks who make sweaping statements on a subject they clearly know sod-all about.

Cheap guns can kill the same as a more expensive one kept within their limits, that's not the issue but to make some of the statements you have done on this thread based on the very limited experience you clearly have is just plain daft, mate.

I have motorbikes...

Motorbikes???

Let me guess...... A CX500 and you think all modern bikes are rubbish 'cos you once sat on one in a shop and it felt a bit funny....

Tosser.

Actually no, I have a Trident 750, Suzuki 600 bandit and a Honda NTV 650. I like these bikes as they are unfaired and that is kinder to my license. Modern bikes are good, I would love a Rocket 3! But I have the bikes that I like and can handle, like my guns! These bikes are for different things, my Trident is the Sunday out bike, the NTV is for long haul, does 115mph two up and does over 60 per gallon, the Bandit is an out and out hooligan with carbon company exhaust, braided hoses and is a right screamer, cheap bike with fun built in! The R1 and Fireblades are great bikes and well built, but they don't suit my riding style. I am also renovating an Armstrong MT 500 for cross country riding with the rifle in the gun holder (which is also useful for doing the shopping as you can get a baguette in the gun holder so it won't get knackered on the way back).

Now then ladies please put away your handbags ;)

Mole, thanks for your input, but I'm not sure why you feel the need to tell us about your experience with the Weihrauch which may have been modified as chances are I'll find a good 'un instead of the dog you tried.

Once again thanks for all the advice, I now have a little more of an idea of what I'm looking at, have upped my budget and now want to try out a second hand AA TX200 (I know there’s not much in it between the AA TX200 and Weihrauch HW97, but I like the idea of buying British!) :)

Now then ladies please put away your handbags ;)

Mole, thanks for your input, but I'm not sure why you feel the need to tell us about your experience with the Weihrauch which may have been modified as chances are I'll find a good 'un instead of the dog you tried.

Once again thanks for all the advice, I now have a little more of an idea of what I'm looking at, have upped my budget and now want to try out a second hand AA TX200 (I know there’s not much in it between the AA TX200 and Weihrauch HW97, but I like the idea of buying British!) :)

:laugh: Handbag's back in it's holster now..... :icon_redface:

If you like the feel of the TX, mate, you'll not go far wrong, they're one of the very best springers available :thumbs:

Good luck with your search.

Cheers :D

I wouldn’t bother chatting to him anymore Andy if I was you pal.

He is determined to be the hero he thinks that he is.

A “champion of the underdogs at the cheaper end of the market†as he puts it.

He is even trying to bring other s into the discussion that haven’t said anything to him

“Perhaps you lot are high priced bores?â€

I wander who he is aiming that comment at, hopefully just me and you Andy.

Si.

“What the hell is AGW?â€

“I could think you are an AGW, but seeing as you have a 9 year old son you must have given up at least for one dayâ€.

Listen here you c**t if you are trying to say something about my son in any negative way there then you better shut your f*****g mouth right now. Say what you want about me, I can take it, as I know my shit when it comes to shooting and rifles and people know your chatting shit, but if you are saying something with a negative sense about my son in any way and how he was conceived you are stepping over the line.

AGW is Air Gun World (the magazine) not anything of a bad nature.

Keep your attitude and gripe with just me and leave my family and son out of it. Thats a boundary you never cross, a mans family.

Edited by zini
  • Like 2