German Wirehaired Pointer

Hi all,

Im thinking about adding a German wirehaired pointer to the kennels.

I'd be using it for retrieving, flushing from cover and marking when out ferreting.

Whats everyones opinion on them? From what i've read there a nice alround dog.

atb

mat

Hi all,

I'd be using it for retrieving, flushing from cover and marking when out ferreting.

atb

mat

Go to www.mustwork.co.uk these are one of the best working gwp kennels in the country!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

atb

mat

Go to www.mustwork.co.uk these are one of the best working gwp kennels in the country!!!

Okay, here's my question. Do you want a German Wirehaired Pointer or a Deutsche Drahthaar? Deutsche Drahthaar translates to German Wirehair Pointer, but they are not the same dog breed. The two breeds are growing very much apart. From my understanding of what I've read the German Wirehaired Pointer has more flexiability in how it's bred because it doesn't have to adhere to the strict German Standards; that has good and bad points. In the USA German Wirehaired Pointers appear to be focusing more on bird hunting; whereas, the Deutsche Drahthaar focus is to maintain strict standards and the ability to be well rounded versatile / continental hunting dog; focusing more on fur, feather, blood trialing, etc... There is much discussionj in the USA about these two breeds. Spend the extra money and get a Pudelpointer. Cheers. -- Steve

Hi all,

atb

mat

Okay, here's my question. Do you want a German Wirehaired Pointer or a Deutsche Drahthaar? Deutsche Drahthaar translates to German Wirehair Pointer, but they are not the same dog breed. The two breeds are growing very much apart. From my understanding of what I've read the German Wirehaired Pointer has more flexiability in how it's bred because it doesn't have to adhere to the strict German Standards; that has good and bad points. In the USA German Wirehaired Pointers appear to be focusing more on bird hunting; whereas, the Deutsche Drahthaar focus is to maintain strict standards and the ability to be well rounded versatile / continental hunting dog; focusing more on fur, feather, blood trialing, etc... There is much discussionj in the USA about these two breeds. Spend the extra money and get a Pudelpointer. Cheers. -- Steve

Last time i did German deutsche drahthaar WAS german for German Wirehair............. explain difference please. Kimmax have been running these for years and they advertise them as drahthaar or GWP....................................... IMO this just sounds a bit more "exotic" but I'll bow to anybody who has better knowledge :whistling:

Hi all,

atb

mat

Last time i did German deutsche drahthaar WAS german for German Wirehair............. explain difference please. Kimmax have been running these for years and they advertise them as drahthaar or GWP....................................... IMO this just sounds a bit more "exotic" but I'll bow to anybody who has better knowledge :whistling:

drahthaar is just the german translation for wirehair yes, they are the same breed yes, but the working quality in the drahthaar and health is much more refined and pure.

Here's a link (http://www.versatiledogs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12269), the topic: Are the GWP and the DD seperate breeds?

You can imagine when people are passionate about their breed emotions start to run high, and some people start acting like fools, attacking each other's points-of-view. There's a lot of information in the beginning, but then the orginal topic takes a turn for the worse, just wade through the BS / argueing. -- Steve