Spaniels??

Hi all,

I missed out on the 6month old ESS i mentioned in an earlier post as the owner reclaimed the dog prior to his 7 day being up in the kennels!!

I was wandering if what are the main differences between a Cocker and a Springer, other than the size and what benefits are gained by crossing the two to get a sprocker. Also if you were to recomend one of them which would it be, a Ccker, Springer or Sprocker?

Thanks Ian

My personal preference is for springers but i love watching the cockers work. Its like watching a bumble bee on speed the way they fly about, in and out of bushes. I prefer the springers just because they are bigger and stronger. They will retrieve a goose or a woodcock. They will hunt the deepest, heaviest cover or stand by your peg.

If the area you hunt is fairly open field with hedgerows, and a few islands of bsuh then i'd say cocker, they are steadier at covering an area thats open IMO,

BUt if your land is not so open rushy, with heavy hedgerows then the springer is a better bet,

Snap.

get yourself one of each best of both worlds :thumbs:

you,ve started something now!! i,ve a young cocker he works well "fast" but still good on the whistle with plenty of energy to last the day retrieves cock pheasants no problem and he,s the size a cocker should be.he,s worked over all types of ground and cover , at the end of the day it,s each to there own. cockers 1st eh !!

hi mate if you like springers then thats the dog you should go for briliant dogs but dont buy into they have more stamina than cockers i woz out on a shoot today 30/1/11 and a bloke had a cocker that woz beating & retriving it woz full on all day & i think if he went out tomorrow it woud do it all again. daz

To be honest it really depends on the cocker so many have been bred too small in my opinion and they just can't handle a full days work as ever it is about picking your dog from a good working line, many with a lot of ftch in the pedigree are just 20 minute wonders and it is worth taking the time to buy in the right dog as some will disappoint.If it where my choice it would be a cocker all the way springers just have no soul that said after 20 years of working and breeeding cockers I could be just a little kennel blind :icon_redface:

Edited by danw

dan w is exactly right some of the dogs with a lot of trialling blood are bred to work frantically for half an hour and then back on the lead but as said theres fit and theres fit....at the begining of the season my cocker is getting at the end of a big day but at the end of the season it will do a few days on the run.