WELSH VALLEY BOY CONVICTED OF DIGGING

Court 'appalled' over Tonypandy badger digging attacks

A man has been given a suspended jail sentence for badger digging with dogs, which "appalled" magistrates.

Christian Latcham, of Tonypandy, was told it was "unspeakable cruelty" after admitting eight charges under animal welfare and badger protection laws at Rhondda magistrates.

He was given a five-month sentence suspended for a year and was banned from owning dogs indefinitely.

Latcham was also told to do 250 hours community work.

Chair of the magistrates, Mike Hanley said: "We are appalled at the evidence presented in court. These are deliberate acts."

He called it "premeditated violence of unspeakable cruelty to animals."

Latcham was also ordered to make a £1,000 donation to the RSPCA.

Speaking after the court hearing, RSPCA inspector for the Rhondda and Pontypridd Simon Evans, who investigated the case, said Latcham was sentenced for badger digging rather than badger-baiting.

'Small but significant number'

The badger incident was captured on video, which was released by the RSPCA after the case

He said badger digging meant the animals were killed where they lived, but baiting meant badgers were caught and taken to a location where a dog was introduced.

Mr Evans said: "I'm pleased he has been prevented from keeping or owning dogs for an indefinite period, but for such a serious offence a prison sentence would have made a statement.

"But a suspended sentence does show the level of cruelty of this offence and the magistrates' took the case very seriously - they were appalled."

Mr Evans said badger-baiting and digging was a major problem not just in the Rhondda, but in all of the south Wales valleys.

"There is a small but significant number of people who all know each other. They can team up travel to specific locations where they know there are badgers."

Mr Evans said these people used dogs to attack badgers for their own personal gratification.

"We rely 100% on calls from the public to control this problem," he added

Edited by dogman

THERE IS ALWAYS A MINORITY THAT SPOIL IT FOR THE GENUINE ONES. I IMAGINE THAT EVERYONE WITH LURCHERS AND TERRIERS WALKING AROUND TO EXERCISE THEM IN THE RHONDDA AREA WILL BE TARRED WITH THE SAME BRUSH AND FINGERS WILL BE POINTED. WE COULD DO WITHOUT ALL THIS PUBLICITY, WITHOUT A DOUBT ALL THE BADGER DOCUMENTARIES WILL BE BACK ON TV NOW.

YOU COULD BE RIGHT THERE, GOING OUT WITH YOUR DOGS AND HAVING A MOOCH AND A GENERAL EXERCISE. YOU WOULD PROBABLY BE LOOKING OVER YOUR SHOULDER TWICE AS MUCH AS BEFORE BECAUSE SOME DO-GOODER UP ON THE MOUTAIN SIDE YOU WHEN YPI PASS THEM WILL PROBABLY BE ON THEIR MOBILE TO THE POLICE AND BEFORE YOU KNOW THE BUSY BODIES WILL BE THERE LOOKING.

Its a bloody shambless at the end of the day they carry tb etc etc this art and past time has been practased for deacades its the reason these dogs were bred i personaly think its less cruel than what the idiots over feeding there dogs walking about like balloons and dieing at 5 or 6 because there fed and treated like children. Foxes are now entering homes and attacking children when are these idiots going to realise someone has to control these types of vermin. If it werent for the stupid ban then there is a fair chance the numbers would have been kept at a lower number thus meaning there probably wouldnt have been any of the incidents of attacked children etc in there own homes. When this country eventualy pulls its head out from its arse the place will be f**kd.

Yes the boys a clown for filming it but the bloody twats in suits have no right banning something that has been passed down through the generations if the boy had been done for drug charges he would have been given a life time prescription to a more dangerously addictive drug and given pocket money for there trouble.

Its a bloody shambless at the end of the day they carry tb etc etc this art and past time has been practased for deacades its the reason these dogs were bred i personaly think its less cruel than what the idiots over feeding there dogs walking about like balloons and dieing at 5 or 6 because there fed and treated like children. Foxes are now entering homes and attacking children when are these idiots going to realise someone has to control these types of vermin. If it werent for the stupid ban then there is a fair chance the numbers would have been kept at a lower number thus meaning there probably wouldnt have been any of the incidents of attacked children etc in there own homes. When this country eventualy pulls its head out from its arse the place will be f**kd.

Yes the boys a clown for filming it but the bloody twats in suits have no right banning something that has been passed down through the generations if the boy had been done for drug charges he would have been given a life time prescription to a more dangerously addictive drug and given pocket money for there trouble.

He wasn't killing foxes? Or he wasn't charged with that anyway.

I've said elsewhere, no matter what we think of the law, it is the law, and if you break it then you got to take the consequence that un informed detached people (magistrates) will inflict on you.

It is fact, rightly or wrongly, that if you go out to break the law, then the courts will seek to confiscate or destroy those tools you have used to break the law with, punishment is harsh, you have to be sure the risks are worth it.

• Like 1

AFTER SPEAKING TO ONE OR TWO OF THE OTHER LADS IN THE PUB LAST NIGHT AS THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED I JUST SAID TO THEM HAS ANYONE GOT ANYTHING ON THEIR PHONES THEN, AND OUT OF THE 6 OF THEM 4 OF THEM HAD PHOTOS AND ONE OF THEM HAD A VIDEO OF THEM LAMPING ETC, AND APPARENTLY THEY WERE SAYING THAT A LOT OF YOUNG BOYS AROUND THEIR AGE (16-20) ALL HAVE PHOTOS OR VIDEOS ON THEIR PHONES. MY ANSWER TO THEM WAS YOU ALL NEED YOUR HEAD READ, WHEN I TOLD THEM THEY SHOULD GET RID OF THEM THEIR REPLY WAS "AH WE WILL BE ALRIGHT" SO WE JUST LEFT THEM CARRY ON. YOUNGESTERS DONT SEEM TO HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE THESE DAYS. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THEY HAVE THIS ALL ON THEIR PHONE JUST TO SHOW OFF AND BRAG, THEY ARE THEIR OWN WORST ENEMIES.

He wasn't killing foxes? Or he wasn't charged with that anyway.

I've said elsewhere, no matter what we think of the law, it is the law, and if you break it then you got to take the consequence that un informed detached people (magistrates) will inflict on you.

It is fact, rightly or wrongly, that if you go out to break the law, then the courts will seek to confiscate or destroy those tools you have used to break the law with, punishment is harsh, you have to be sure the risks are worth it.

:thumbs: