Ferret pooing spot

I got given my mates ferret a few weeks ago, which leaves me with two ferrets in a 2 floor hutch. I know once a ferret chooses a pooing spot, then thats where it will poo until kingdom come. The ferret ive been given poos on the top floor and i dont want it pooing there as i dont use wood shavings, i just have cat litter in a small tray which i can lift out and empty (my own ferret knows the score).

I was wondering if there is anyway of putting the ferret off sh*ting on the top floor?? By putting some sort of spray or something down??? I dont know. Might seem a silly question but it does my head in so there we have it! haha

if you take the ferrets poo and put it in the place you want him to use and really clean the area which he is currently using, and every time he does it just move and clean for a few days it might help. this worked with one of my jills but when i had a new hob he just went where he wanted and nothing could change it. i guess its worth a shot.

hope this helps

From experience i have found that most ferrets in a multi story cage will use the bottom level to poo in.. but sometimes if its particularly cold or the top level is cluttered with ramps & things they have to climb over or through they will on occasion just do it on the top layer

The other thing to consider is if the new ferrets in with your existing ferrets it may be because it isnt happy about sharing a tray with other ferrets

All you can do is persevere .. i have never had any luck with trays .. so i just used a good layer of shavings & let them do it where they like :thumbs: :thumbs:

The only thing i can think about is as said move it to where you want it do do it but when you clean it up wipe it with a spot of bleach,or something similar as it will still smell where its crapped and keep crapping over the old smell

as some have already said, move the poo, even block off the top part of the hutch/run

A little tip for you, when I had the ferrets I cut out a 4"x4" square on the floor of the hutch, I then stapled a bit of weldmesh to the hole and put a pale under it, I would pick up the poo's and place them on the weldmesh until they got used to doing it there, the poo would fall through into the pale. Kept the hutch very clean.

• Like 1

if you take the ferrets poo and put it in the place you want him to use and really clean the area which he is currently using, and every time he does it just move and clean for a few days it might help. this worked with one of my jills but when i had a new hob he just went where he wanted and nothing could change it. i guess its worth a shot.

hope this helps

same as the other have said, also try not to clear the tray for a few days until

the ferret learns thats the new loo...... mike