yellow pages power test

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not just put it over a chrony?   Kyle

Get it over a chrony , no other way is worth doin . For example if you get it taken to be checked and it turns out over power, do you think the police will take seriously the way you`ve tested for pow

Clean the barrel with a decent pull through . Then re-lead , which should take about 50 or so pellets . To lube your pellets you use a pellet lube ( not just any old oil ) i use napier pellet lube . G

Strange how times move on in THL, I posted the yellow pages test a few years ago as a very rough test on a air rifles power output as a bit of fun and got a fair amount of good replies. It's never meant to be a proper test for a gun's ftlb but if both guns are using the same pellets from the same distance then you can generally tell if ones running underpowered or not.

It's actually surprising how consistant it is, as I fired a number of differant types of pellet (all domed tips) and always got around the 550-575 page mark with the .22 My friend did the same with his and was ripping about 300 pages. So we went and got it chrono'd and serviced. It's an easy and more importantly free way to check your guns power, you can shoot a phone directory, and in a few month's if you think the guns lost some power have another crack at it and see if there's a diffence, if so get it to the gun dealer for a service.

I know some of the replies on here are just ribbing the guy a bit and having a laugh but there's others that are really slatting him?

Take it as it was intended, an easy muck about test that you can do in your garden for a bit of fun that usually gets the result it's intended to.....

Well, the .22LR went through 1 3/4, about 1600 pages.

The .243 went all the way through three, quite interesting seeing the expansion of the round as it goes on, starts off with a tiny little hole, ends up with a hole the size of half the page.

The 12 bore only went through 1 1/2, though it did punch a huge hole in the third with the wad of paper from the first two!

I video'd it, but the vid is pretty shoddy as it was shot with the phone and I didn't realise the bleeping sun was right in the lens. Also it's a fair way away as I didn't want my shiny iPhone getting taken out by a ricochet!

The pics of the yellow pages afterwards are impressive though!

The vid is uploading now, I'll put the link up when it's done.

Next time I'll make sure the phone isn't full of glare before I start shooting.

Reckon I need a few more yellow pages though, I want to see how many it takes to stop the .243!

JSB Field and JSB Match(mrs got me these today) both domed

Also tried 10 Thunderbolt Extreme Hunting but cause they only 10gr they were only doing about 5-600 heavier seem to penetrate deeper

Edited by StevoSmith

Right, here's the vid...

OK, I give up, how do you embed a video on here?

Anyway, a link to the YouTube Vid

You're looking for three bangs, one at 18 secs, one at 1:38 and the last one at 2:19.

Like I said, shocking quality, but I had fun!

Edited by matt_hooks
  • Like 1

The .243 went all the way through three, quite interesting seeing the expansion of the round as it goes on, starts off with a tiny little hole, ends up with a hole the size of half the page.

The 12 bore only went through 1 1/2, though it did punch a huge hole in the third with the wad of paper from the first two!

I video'd it, but the vid is pretty shoddy as it was shot with the phone and I didn't realise the bleeping sun was right in the lens. Also it's a fair way away as I didn't want my shiny iPhone getting taken out by a ricochet!

Reckon I need a few more yellow pages though, I want to see how many it takes to stop the .243!

Sweet cant wait to get infront of the comp and have a look :)

Sp for you my friend.

.atb. .ste.

Millsy dont wory too mutch as my .22 only does around 400 pages with domed pellets, it makes a better mess than the .177, perhaps these welsh yellow pages are sub standard lol

.atb. .ste.

Anyone else got any .22 readings?

Right, here's the vid...

OK, I give up, how do you embed a video on here?

Anyway, a link to the YouTube Vid

You're looking for three bangs, one at 18 secs, one at 1:38 and the last one at 2:19.

Like I said, shocking quality, but I had fun!

After vid had uploaded to youtube click on it then post link from top of page on here

Sp for you my friend.

.atb. .ste.

Millsy dont wory too mutch as my .22 only does around 400 pages with domed pellets, it makes a better mess than the .177, perhaps these welsh yellow pages are sub standard lol

.atb. .ste.

Theres a rifle range about 8miles away from me that the local gun shop own and run, i rang the shop today and their chrono is away for repair, so he said to have a trip up the rifle range as a few of the lads up there might run it through one of their chrono's for me :thumbs:

Sp for you my friend.

.atb. .ste.

.atb. .ste.

lol Ste sub standard yellow pages..... :laugh: